KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Review: Secret Window

Review: Secret Window
Started by: Soth

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

Secret Window

I find myself agreeing with many of the critics.....Secret Window is a so-so movie...but Johnny Depp makes it good.

The plot goes like this...the movie opens with Morton Rainey (Depp) sitting in a car, and then he goes inside a Motel in which he finds his wife in 'flagrante delicto' with another man.

Then the opening credits roll, and we close in on a lakeside cabin, in which we find Mort asleep on the couch. There is a banging at the door, and it takes him a while to get up, but when he does, the man at the door wastes no time saying "You stole mah story." and the rest, as they say, is history.

The man, a Mississippi dairy farmer by the name of John Shooter, claims that Mort plagiarized a story he wrote. He then kills his dog (with a screwdriver though the throat sick), and much insanity ensues from there

It was an okay film, Johnny made it good, though

7/10

Old Post Mar 13th, 2004 11:56 PM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SexyCheerleader
Hello

i started a thread like this before you but it got taken away by some one
thats not fair

Old Post Mar 14th, 2004 12:49 AM
SexyCheerleader is currently offline Click here to Send SexyCheerleader a Private Message Find more posts by SexyCheerleader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LegolasLover411
Restricted

Account Restricted

I reccomend seeing it!!!!!

Hiril Idril Ne'halma Mellyn nin': SAMIAM, OrlandoOYEA, Mr.Bacon,
Enya, Sauron, Exa, Iirma, azgulinthedark, Exa, Bloom4ever, Trickster,BingaBonga, White Lady, Alexryder ,and Isilcal.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2004 12:55 AM
LegolasLover411 is currently offline Click here to Send LegolasLover411 a Private Message Find more posts by LegolasLover411 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

quote:
Originally posted by #1fan Sparrow
i started a thread like this before you but it got taken away by some one
thats not fair
In the Reviews forum? I doubt it, I ran a search before starting it

Even so, stop complaining about like a child

Old Post Mar 14th, 2004 01:40 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BOPRecruit 16
Hunter By Nature

i saw secret window yesterday and i agree with lord soth in saying that the movie was so-so. it wasn't as scary or on the edge of your seat as i thought it would be, basing it from the trailers on tv. although it scared my friends, for some reason, i didn't find it scary at all. the movie was a bit confusing in the beginning, but as the story went on, everything made sense. gosh, morton rainey was kind of a slob with the messy hair and food and all, but perfectly understanble since he was going through a divorce.

about shooter and the guy who played him, joe tuturro. wasn't that guy in anger management? anyways...i thought his character in this movie was being so unreasonable into holding a grudge against morton and being stupid about it by trying to lay claim to work that was done before he did that story of his that he gave morton in the beginning. but at the end, his character made sense once morton was experiencing split personalities of himself. that part was kind of weird and seemed cheesy...anyways...

although i have never read or seen a movie based off of a stephen king novel, i do say this movie had a great story although it seemed like it was made on low budget. what intrigues me to get the book, is the way that stephen king portray's the dark side of people in his stories. how he can make them really twisted people and in yet a fantasy/horror style here and there. make them so demented.

i also agree with lord soth on that johnny depp did a great job in this movie. he brought humour to the story and was good at making himself seem psycho portrayed so perfectly. he's really good at that. that's what i like about johnny depp, he can brighten a character when he comes onto a project/movie. i hope that he gets into more thriller and action movies soon!

hmm...now to rate the movie. well, people weekly gave it two and half stars. eye gave it 3 stars. hot ticket gave it two nots. for thumb rating, it'd give it one up and one down, for it's only a so so movie. as for a star rating....hmm....i'd give it 3 and half stars. *but for a second i almost gave it four* 1 star for locations, 1 for actors, 1 for story, and 1/2 a star for understanding. the last star to a half star that i docked was for the lack in scene transitions and it's low budget like quality. yeah.

Need to Reach Me? Then Please Contact Me Here: [SodapopAllerdyce/Xanga] [phantomtravel3r/LiveJournal]

Old Post Mar 14th, 2004 11:47 AM
BOPRecruit 16 is currently offline Click here to Send BOPRecruit 16 a Private Message Find more posts by BOPRecruit 16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

thumb up excellent review, BOP

Old Post Mar 14th, 2004 09:56 PM
szhismine
hobbit and Rock God lover

i absolutely loved the movie. Johnny Depp was totally awesome. eek! love

great movie. big grin

i did not make this banner btw, kella did. wink

worship all that is holy: worship Dom! love

Old Post Mar 14th, 2004 11:15 PM
szhismine is currently offline Click here to Send szhismine a Private Message Find more posts by szhismine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fuct_up_kid
Trash Flavoured Trash

does anyone know what uk certificate this has got?

I hate to break this to you, but being a coward is not a legitimate career

Old Post Mar 17th, 2004 07:08 AM
fuct_up_kid is currently offline Click here to Send fuct_up_kid a Private Message Find more posts by fuct_up_kid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BOPRecruit 16
Hunter By Nature

what's a uk certificate? blink

Need to Reach Me? Then Please Contact Me Here: [SodapopAllerdyce/Xanga] [phantomtravel3r/LiveJournal]

Old Post Mar 19th, 2004 05:47 AM
BOPRecruit 16 is currently offline Click here to Send BOPRecruit 16 a Private Message Find more posts by BOPRecruit 16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kes
Philie

You mean rating? I have no idea but its PG-13 in the US so.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2004 11:16 PM
Kes is currently offline Click here to Send Kes a Private Message Find more posts by Kes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BOPRecruit 16
Hunter By Nature

was johnny depp wearing hair extentions or a wig in this movie? with his hair so messy and when he ran his fingers through his hair, it did look like it. i know that depp is known for having long hair most of the time...but still...

Old Post Mar 20th, 2004 05:30 AM
fuct_up_kid
Trash Flavoured Trash

uk certificate. as in U, PG, 12A, 15, 18.
just wondering whether it was rated ova here yet.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2004 09:55 AM
fuct_up_kid is currently offline Click here to Send fuct_up_kid a Private Message Find more posts by fuct_up_kid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Miss_bishie
Guilty and Lonly

I saw secret window and I have to say one thing..

It would be nothing without Johnny.

Like most Johnny films.. Johnny steals the show ^_^;;

Me? I suggest watching it.. I like the movie.. alot

Old Post Mar 20th, 2004 03:58 PM
Miss_bishie is currently offline Click here to Send Miss_bishie a Private Message Find more posts by Miss_bishie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean
Warum ist die Sonne rund?

My review

Not only was the movie good, it was actually spectacular. It kept be thinking and thinking and thinking, and I never really knew what was going to happen, nor did i know what was REALLY going to be the outcome of the story.
Johnny Depp played the role very remarkably and i Loved the way his hair was like halfway through the movie, when it was all stickin up.
[SPOILER - highlight to read]: John Shooter just happened to be Morton Rainey, or actually the character Morton created! And Being ...I guess you could say...a tad bit skitzo and obsessive compulsive at the same time, i guess you could say, *for he kept doing that one thing with his mouth, personally I thought he was just stretching his jaws*
The movie gets an 8/10 from me, and i hope to be seeing it again soon.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2004 07:43 PM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eclipse
Dark Eclipse

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Johnny+Braces!!!

Ha I covered it myself!

Korri, LeatherFace12,Citadel,Dregh, Mr.Toga, Storm,loveLinkilicious, Clovie, Chelsea23, ILuvPippin, and Stiill Finding More Names!!!

Watch as I steal the moon from the Sky
Mafia B!tch 2!!!

Old Post Mar 20th, 2004 09:26 PM
Eclipse is currently offline Click here to Send Eclipse a Private Message Find more posts by Eclipse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean

Jeeze im still thinking of Secret Window lol

Old Post Mar 20th, 2004 09:45 PM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eclipse
Dark Eclipse

Same.....All Steven King Books Have a [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Corn Field or Corn in them! Its weird!

Korri, LeatherFace12,Citadel,Dregh, Mr.Toga, Storm,loveLinkilicious, Clovie, Chelsea23, ILuvPippin, and Stiill Finding More Names!!!

Watch as I steal the moon from the Sky
Mafia B!tch 2!!!

Old Post Mar 20th, 2004 09:48 PM
Eclipse is currently offline Click here to Send Eclipse a Private Message Find more posts by Eclipse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fuct_up_kid
Trash Flavoured Trash

not misery!!
soz that film absolutely rocks

Old Post Mar 20th, 2004 09:58 PM
Kes
Philie

Reviews only. There's a Secret window thread in Movie discussion, talk there.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2004 10:16 PM
Kes is currently offline Click here to Send Kes a Private Message Find more posts by Kes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean

Im going back to see this movie whether it be the last thing i do or not lol.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2004 10:22 PM