KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Zero Wastes His Breath

Zero Wastes His Breath
Started by: Mr Zero

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ScarletSpider
Ben Reilly

I read mostly Marvel and a couple DC titles. Regretfully I haven't much explored the realm of independant titles for mostly one reason. I can't find a shop around me, within a reasonable distance, that carries them. The one shop that I rely upon for my regular stuff has been losing money on comics, so now you have to be on a special list and they hold specific comics for you monthly. Jesus Christ monkey balls.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 02:13 PM
ScarletSpider is currently offline Click here to Send ScarletSpider a Private Message Find more posts by ScarletSpider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

Jesus Christ monkey balls I love this thread. Imagine the rancour if I'd not cleaned my post up and made it all user friendly first!?!?!

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 03:42 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kid Kurdy

Pff, Mr Zero, are you still going to post your tip (the world is holding it's breath) or are you going to annoy us all to death ?

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 04:03 PM
Kid Kurdy is currently offline Click here to Send Kid Kurdy a Private Message Find more posts by Kid Kurdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScarletSpider
Ben Reilly

He seems to be doing the latter.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 04:04 PM
ScarletSpider is currently offline Click here to Send ScarletSpider a Private Message Find more posts by ScarletSpider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

Be still my clamouring public - I will post the first one later today once I get a moment to myself.

It will be available in regular KMC format, and also in a special signed and numbered edition with a sketch cover and holographic stamp seal of authenticity.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 04:06 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mane
Restricted

Account Restricted

shut up. why dont you let go of YOUR dick for second...no one cares what you think except you.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 05:03 PM
Mane is currently offline Click here to Send Mane a Private Message Find more posts by Mane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by Mane
shut up. why dont you let go of YOUR dick for second...no one cares what you think except you.

You have issues.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 05:11 PM
Dario Argento
Master of Horror

HAHA... laughing This thread is GREAT...

Hr nul, please tell what to read.

BTW, has anyone here read Ghost World?

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 05:14 PM
Dario Argento is currently offline Click here to Send Dario Argento a Private Message Find more posts by Dario Argento Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mane
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Zero
You have issues.

oh read this! Mr Zero says i have issues...go figure.

Last edited by Mane on Aug 29th, 2004 at 05:19 PM

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 05:15 PM
Mane is currently offline Click here to Send Mane a Private Message Find more posts by Mane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by Dario Argento
BTW, has anyone here read Ghost World?

Ghost world and just about everything else by Dan Clowes, Eightball is a must buy.

I'll be shoving his stuff down the throats of all concerned at a later date.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 05:17 PM
Punkyhermy
like memory in motion

Come one post your tip already!!!
I wanna see if u praising yourself is worth it!

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 05:22 PM
Punkyhermy is currently offline Click here to Send Punkyhermy a Private Message Find more posts by Punkyhermy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mane
Restricted

Account Restricted

are you serious? his praising is never worth it. he is arrogant and stupid, and he has a biased opinion about everything.

what do you expect from someone who lives in a land deviod of dentistry and hygiene...

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 05:26 PM
Joker1237

He has his own delusions of the comic world I guess.

But I with Magee here, People can read what ever they want. There are many people against Harry Potter, Which I think is a very cool book, But if there is something I dont like, I wont go out of my way to stop people from reading it. Its there money and they do what they want.

Have a laugh evey now and than.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 06:09 PM
Joker1237 is currently offline Click here to Send Joker1237 a Private Message Find more posts by Joker1237 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

Maus : A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman.

(please log in to view the image)

There are many reasons why MAUS should be on your reading list. It's important because of the issues it addresses, because it is widely available (you might even find it in your library) and generally well respected so you don’t have to take just my word for it: It won the Pulitzer prize. Let me just stress that - this is a comic book which won a Pulitzer. (the oscars of literature.)

However I'm suggesting you give it a shot because it's a damn fine story expertly told and if you ever considered yourself a "comics fan" then MAUS is our War & Peace. It's the thing we can be most proud of. You can read it in public and if anyone gives you shit then you can whimper "it won the Pulitzer" while they kick your ass and steal your lunch money.

Set in both the "present day" and flashing back to WWII MAUS concerns itself with the relationship between a boy and his father (present) and the fathers reminiscences about his treatment at the hands of the Nazi's (WWII) As absorbing as the biographical relationship between author and father is - it's the harrowing story of being a Polish Jew under the Nazi's that sets this work apart. If you are never going to get round to reading Primo Levy then Maus is a way of leaning a little about the personal cost of the Holocaust.

Spiegelman's use of anthropomorphic characters is very simplistic. (Jews are mice, Nazis are cats.) This "trick" has many functions in the story - it allows Spiegelman to pare down the appearance of the characters to a base shape simplicity - and as such the near blank faces become everyman. It also serves as it did in Orwell's animal farm to allow us breathing distance from the narrative - and so freed from the constraint of identifying too strongly and withdrawing when the tale gets dark: we can afford to draw closer and bear witness to the horror.

Maus is far from a simple comic - but it's not hard to understand and it's very accessible. It's complexity lies in it's subject matter and the raw heartache of knowing that the tale is based on Spiegelman's fathers own experiences. It's a horrific, honest and deeply moving work that anyone who reads comics should be proud to own.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 06:16 PM
Mane
Restricted

Account Restricted

mmm, no thanks. that looks queerer than you, Zero...

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 06:21 PM
Kid Kurdy

Not bad, but I already read that a long time ago. "Persepolis" by Marjane Satrapi is much more moving than Maus.

Don't get me wrong, Maus is great, and I recommend it to everybody, but you picked something that's quite old. But of course, that doesn't make it any less great (notice I use the word great, not the word brilliant).

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 06:28 PM
Kid Kurdy is currently offline Click here to Send Kid Kurdy a Private Message Find more posts by Kid Kurdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by Mane
mmm, no thanks. that looks queerer than you, Zero...

Let me clear something up (for everyone) - this isnt a thread where Im going to get into a conversation justifying what i pitch up for public consideration. This isnt somewhere I'm going to be paying any attention to anything other than my favourite sound - IE that of my own sweet voice.

Feel free to use it as a platform to look like seven shades of butthole if thats what you want tho dude - I'm getting paid $40 an hour to sit back and watch: have a ball - knock yourself out.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 06:31 PM
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by who?-kid
Not bad, but I already read that a long time ago. "Persepolis" by Marjane Satrapi is much more moving than Maus.

You know I'm embarrassed to say that despite looking at Persepolis several times i've yet to buy it. I will rectify that next week and let you know what i think, thanks for the tip.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 06:34 PM
Kid Kurdy

No problem.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 06:44 PM
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

are you f*cking teaching an english class you arrogant prick?
and what's this about being paid?
and furthermore, who the f*ck gives you the right to look down your nose at other people who you don't even know through baseless stereotypical assumptions (which many of us don't fit in the least I might add).

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 07:01 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote