KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » See, he's "just a man"

See, he's "just a man"
Started by: mr.steevo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
mr.steevo

See, he's "just a man"

hi,

I am wondering what is the significance of Neo's hand bleeding in M2 when he fights the Merv's men? It is confusing because in the burly brawl he gets tossed around, punched, thrown into a park bench and not a scratch on him or his clothes. How is it that "just a sword" draws blood?

Now, this may have been discussed in the past on this forum, but there are a lot of posts to sift through to find the answer. This has bothered me from the first time I saw the movie in the theatre but I finally got around to asking someone.

thanks!

s.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2005 03:24 AM
mr.steevo is currently offline Click here to Send mr.steevo a Private Message Find more posts by mr.steevo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Superfly4000

umm... i got nothin

Old Post Sep 21st, 2005 02:02 AM
Superfly4000 is currently offline Click here to Send Superfly4000 a Private Message Find more posts by Superfly4000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jedi-Kaisa
Creator of soon-2-B comic

Maybe because he IS a man and therefore can't hold back everything?

"We have taken down the greatest empire in the galaxy, who now can stop us?"

Old Post Sep 21st, 2005 04:20 AM
Jedi-Kaisa is currently offline Click here to Send Jedi-Kaisa a Private Message Find more posts by Jedi-Kaisa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
adscrawler

its amazing the sword dident cut his hand off, must have just peirced the skin wich is why he bleed.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2005 05:33 PM
adscrawler is currently offline Click here to Send adscrawler a Private Message Find more posts by adscrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Swords are sharp. Benches aren't.

no expression

The point was, that even though he's basically superhuman, he still CAN be injured -- albeit it'd take a lot more than to do it than a normal human.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Sep 21st, 2005 09:59 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Could either be continuality error, or the logic and construct of the Matrix that defined a sword as being sharp, therefore cutting Neo.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2005 03:37 AM
JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

Just because Neo is able to stop the sword doesn't lessen the impact the Matrix is making on him. He is still in the Matrix and as such is still seeing it as a sword that is sharp. no matter how much you think "there is no sword" there will always be a tiny little part of your brain that says "yeah there is, look at it"...hence, he got a cut

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Sep 24th, 2005 09:19 AM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

and to quote morpheus... "your mind makes it real."

Old Post Sep 25th, 2005 12:59 AM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
b-dan
Son of Sparda

well maby the marovingian thought he was some ivinceble being who could not be hurt but neo can bleed and die so thats probly why he saud that or to give his men mor confedence cuz he knew they would get ther asses kicked

Old Post Sep 26th, 2005 05:12 PM
b-dan is currently offline Click here to Send b-dan a Private Message Find more posts by b-dan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mr.steevo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lana

no expression

The point was, that even though he's basically superhuman, he still CAN be injured -- albeit it'd take a lot more than to do it than a normal human.

Hi

It is clear that the story was establishing that Neo is a human. I understand that. Still, BOTH a knife and a bench will cause considerable harm given the velocity and force. Was it simply that Neo's perception of reality with multiple Smith's (who he had already beaten) was different from Merv's men (very weak), or was Merv's programing clever enough to break Neo's concentration long enough to make him bleed? Or something else? This has bugged me since the first week of release of this movie.

Feel free to make up answers.

s.

ps. oh, and count me in as thinking Revolutions was poor.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 02:11 AM
mr.steevo is currently offline Click here to Send mr.steevo a Private Message Find more posts by mr.steevo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

"see hes just a man" is meant to imply that even though he is the one, he is indeed a man and he still makes mistakes. its a kinda way to show that Neo isnt a god in the matrix. hes close, but not a god.

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Sep 29th, 2005 12:10 AM
((The_Anomaly)) is currently offline Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
b-dan
Son of Sparda

Originally posted by mr.steevo
Hi

It is clear that the story was establishing that Neo is a human. I understand that. Still, BOTH a knife and a bench will cause considerable harm given the velocity and force. Was it simply that Neo's perception of reality with multiple Smith's (who he had already beaten) was different from Merv's men (very weak), or was Merv's programing clever enough to break Neo's concentration long enough to make him bleed? Or something else? This has bugged me since the first week of release of this movie.

Feel free to make up answers.

s.

ps. oh, and count me in as thinking Revolutions was poor.
i liked revolutions and i hated reloded for that i have had many peopel yell at me sad and soon more will yell

Old Post Sep 29th, 2005 06:51 PM
b-dan is currently offline Click here to Send b-dan a Private Message Find more posts by b-dan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

jediHDM has something. the mind sees what it sees. but if you notice during the next scene, the bleeding is gone. and the cut never manifested itself on neo's human body, unlike the first jump. so, looking back on this, the implication of "see, he's just a man..." was merely encouragement to the merv's henchmen.

this leads me to another question. is neo able to re-write or reload his RSI without jacking out and in of the matrix?

Old Post Nov 21st, 2005 07:00 PM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

Actually the Wachowski brothers that "he's still a man", note "still". So he would probably become godlike after a while.

Necessity is the mother of inventions.
(Don't be a pig, get an Icejaw sig.)

Old Post Nov 24th, 2005 05:31 PM
kamikz is currently offline Click here to Send kamikz a Private Message Find more posts by kamikz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mailedbypostman
I'm just a messenger.

Originally posted by Lana

no expression

thumb up thumb up

Old Post Nov 24th, 2005 11:30 PM
mailedbypostman is currently offline Click here to Send mailedbypostman a Private Message Find more posts by mailedbypostman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote