KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » They are silencing my voice because they are afraid of a few arguments!?

Should political discussions be allowed in some cases?
This poll is closed.
Absolutely! It's a travesty tp shut down a thread that holds importance 4 40.00%
No! 4 40.00%
I really don't care... 2 20.00%
Total: 10 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

They are silencing my voice because they are afraid of a few arguments!?
Started by: SAtown_punk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SAtown_punk
Restricted

Account Restricted

They are silencing my voice because they are afraid of a few arguments!?

I have just made a thread in the off-topic forum regarding the upcoming presidential election, and the "leaders" are telling me that they are going to shut it down because "politics and religion are not allowed." So, they are taking away my right to freedom of speech just because some people have argued in the past? It's human nature to argue, and it happens all the time all over every one of these threads. So why not close those? Why close the one thread that probably has meaning to virtually every member of this board? The running of this country is extremely important to we Americans, and now we, as I understand it, are not able to engage in the topic. Why? Tell me why? http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...656#post1278656

go there and make your voice heard!

Last edited by SAtown_punk on Mar 7th, 2004 at 11:26 AM

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 11:20 AM
SAtown_punk is currently offline Click here to Send SAtown_punk a Private Message Find more posts by SAtown_punk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

politics and blabantly spamming in the N&A section is highly annoinying me

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 12:01 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

For a start, please remember that this board is British in origin and has a very high proportion of non-American members so I feel, important as the subject is, that it is very presumptuous to assume it is quite so important to all of us!

That aside...

I am sorry that you feel that way about our bar on political discussions. Please believe me when I say that this decision was not made as a direct attempt to silence or tread down upon anyone. After all, it is not just your voice that is being silenced, but everyone's- including our own. When such threads were allowed- indeed, when there was a thread for them- posters like Raz and myself contributed a very great deal, and we wanted to keep contributing, but in the end Raz had to make the decision to close the area, and political/religious threads down, because they were too much trouble to regulate and, overall, reduced people's enjoymnet of the forums. Really- they were just far too unpleasant and caused large amounts of bad blood. Ideally we could have these topics- but practically, it has just never worked out as a good thing. So as I say, it is not about trying to suppress or oppress. We just genuinely believe, based on experience, that the boards are a better place without such threads.

Talking about current events should not be a problem but your threrad is heavily politically opinonated. Now, we may agree with your views or disagree with them, but that makes little difference- we have made this commitment to not allowing such threads, for the good of the boards, and I am afraid we must stick by that.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 12:50 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

I'm with Ush on this one, the fueds that were caused by allowing politics and religion to be discussed were not good.

And after all, this is a movie forum ya know...

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 12:55 PM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

I agree with Ush. I wasn't around when there was a politics forum, but I've had arguments in the OTF and GDF about politics where people just started getting nasty. Any threads about either politics or religion are closed, not just yours.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 03:31 PM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

Hear Hear! I get into too many debates like this on other forums, and a lot of people end up hating me (b/c I can be quite vocal stick out tongue ) I applaud your decision to ban it

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 05:42 PM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

i dont agree with ush and the others, but we dont need arguements so i stay neutral on this.

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 06:06 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

If we decide to change this place into a movies/politics/religion site, the topics will be left open: -

Killer Movies-Radical Politics-Gnarly Religion.com

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 06:15 PM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Abbita

laughing out loud If people want to talk or mainly argue about politics, go to another site and do it, theres nothing stopping you, but make sure ye come back here after wink

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 07:07 PM
Abbita is currently offline Click here to Send Abbita a Private Message Find more posts by Abbita Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xena
Warrior Princess

So since is annoying to a certain person in this thread therefore is not allowed. I can now see why he is so annoying.

Made by Cinemaddiction smile

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 09:13 PM
Xena is currently offline Click here to Send Xena a Private Message Find more posts by Xena Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

who is annoying who?

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 09:14 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aldaron

I agree with Ush on everything., I've been in many political forums,it's a blood sport.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 11:03 PM
Aldaron is currently offline Click here to Send Aldaron a Private Message Find more posts by Aldaron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

*sniffs*
"I love the smell of blood in the morning" wink

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 11:05 PM
RobBo
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak

I am sorry that you feel that way about our bar on political discussions......in the end (we) had to make the decision to close political/religious threads down, because they were too much trouble to regulate , and I am afraid we must stick by that.

I spent five years in Poland during the 1980s and that very same statement was issued by the Soviet authorities in order to justify their clamp-down on what can only be described as...freedom.

I never thought I would see that kind of dictatorial ignorance ever again.

Shame on you Ushgarak.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 11:43 PM
RobBo is currently offline Click here to Send RobBo a Private Message Find more posts by RobBo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

hey, RobBo, cut that out man
you are here for one month so you have no idea about the history of this place. We did had a Politics forum and it ended in a huge massacre with bashing and flaming and twas an apocalyps with a revolutionary color.
Raz and the mod-squad have a PERFECTLY good reason to prevent such horror again by simply not allowing such delicate subjects cause there are always retards who go on a bashingrampage

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 11:50 PM
RobBo
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by yerssot
have no idea about the history of this place.

What about it?

So you have a problem with flaming...? Police it!

Rules are fine.
Laws are fine.
Regulation is fine.

A blanket ban, a totalitarian control regime, a silencing of thought and expression.....do you really subscribe to this?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 12:04 AM
RobBo is currently offline Click here to Send RobBo a Private Message Find more posts by RobBo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

please reread what I wrote: the ban is to prevent members getting emotionally hurt
heck, if you want to get bashed go ahead, go to another board, post in a politics thread and get bashed till your nothing but a trampled little flower

but just not here

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 12:09 AM
RobBo
Restricted

Account Restricted

I read what you wrote perfectly well the first time! I rather think that you are letting your emotion get in the way of reason! I have no desire to emotionally hurt or be hurt...but democracy is all about debate, I don't know where you are from yerssot but I should imagine that your government involves some form of debating chamber and this is the heart of your legislative process......what if this where to be silenced to prevent "emotional hurt"?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 12:17 AM
Corlindel
Noldor

quote:
Originally posted by RobBo
I spent five years in Poland during the 1980s and that very same statement was issued by the Soviet authorities in order to justify their clamp-down on what can only be described as...freedom.

I never thought I would see that kind of dictatorial ignorance ever again.

Shame on you Ushgarak.

I dont like some rules of KMC and the way some threads are closed and free spech censored.

Everything should be permit under some limits, even political and religion threads but,

I am here because I want to and I know there some rules for all so I respect the rules and I am glad to be a KMC member.

So RobBo, with all respect for you and for your political and social opinions - the same as mine I could bet - accept Ush opinion and in the same context you shall give him yours apologizes.

Por minha Dama
«...et tu seras pour moi unique au monde, et je serais pour toi unique au monde...»

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 12:17 AM
Corlindel is currently offline Click here to Send Corlindel a Private Message Find more posts by Corlindel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

well, than I can be clear: this isn't a democracy :lol

take it from someone who saw the Politic Forum Discussion and heard later more about it, YOU are perhaps perfectly capable of talking in a civilised way to others about politics, that doesn't mean the others are

Old Post Mar 8th, 2004 12:20 AM