KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » Computer problems

Computer problems
Started by: shaber

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
shaber
schizoid

Worried Computer problems

Does anyone know why my computer could have just switched itself off? Is there something wrong with it? I'm using a 2002 Dell with Windows XP.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 03:59 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

eek! Mine did that too a week ago blink

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 04:03 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

you could be a bit more specific, like which proggies you were running and such

yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rusky
Waiting for da snow

There's a trillion reasons for that, u'll have to be a bit more specific.....and please guys...post problems under news&questions..

Have fun||

rusky is currently offline Click here to Send rusky a Private Message Find more posts by rusky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

There is no news and questions thread.

I was on the offtopic forum, using Netscape 7.0

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 04:06 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

there is a news and questions SECTION, which rusky refers too

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 04:06 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Yes, but I always thought that news and questions were specifically related to KMC problems.
I had a problem (question) with my PS 2, so I searched the Computer / Video Games Discussion section and I found an earlier made thread about it. I don' t think that I should have posted it then in the news and questions messed

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 04:08 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rusky
Waiting for da snow

Hmm....interesting...that's because not everybody checks the n&q section out.. perhaps we could get loyalty points for answering questions in the n&q section..

Have fun||

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 04:16 PM
rusky is currently offline Click here to Send rusky a Private Message Find more posts by rusky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rusky
Waiting for da snow

Anyway, was there a specific message that popped up before the shutdown ? Like some square allert box mentioning something about the RPC(Remote Procedure Call) ? Or did it just suddenly shut down ? (in which case u should check out 2 things, 1- Have u added any new hard piece to u'r pc ? perhaps the power-source of the pc is too weak (try upgrading it if that is the case) 2- is u'r pc's processor overcloked ? or perhaps the cooler is damaged ? Either one of theese could cause the pc to shut itself down upon reaching a certain temperature..)

Have fun||

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 04:20 PM
shaber
schizoid

I have not added any new hard piece. There was no message alert box. Is the power source the battery or cable? It has run on longer than it had done and not crashed. Is the processor simply the memory banks?

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 04:23 PM
rusky
Waiting for da snow

The power source is the small box sized place in the back of u'r pc where the big power cable jacks in.
The processor is the small square chip fitted on u'r motherboard(that's the biggest one in there, the one which all the others connect to).

It's unlikely that it's either then... perhaps just a random windows bug or an energy spike...as long as it doesn't happen on a regular basis u should be ok...

Have fun||

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 04:29 PM
Raz
Meister

Admin

moving...

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 04:47 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Paola
Ronin

I have a computer problem too..... hope someone can help.....

do you know why everytime I get online my winamp stops????!!!

by Scythe

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2004 07:12 PM
Paola is currently offline Click here to Send Paola a Private Message Find more posts by Paola Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

windows shut itself down from time to time for no apparent reason
just because it is windows.

or it might be a small glitch in your PSU

no idea, could be that he doesnt have enough RAM memory to continue your winamp and your Internet Explorer but I doubt that

you tried using another piece of software like Real Player or,god forbid, Windows Media Player to play your MP3s?

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2004 08:32 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

what's your RAM?

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2004 08:37 PM
Ollie3001

Was it when you left it alone for a while? cus computers usualy come set to "switch to stand by in 15 mins" or what ever (even if ur screen saver is active)
it could have got too hot and shut down to save it from getting damaged (u should clean all the dust out of all the components inside, it can make ur computer up to 3 times hotter than it should be, i suggest compressed air to do this)
low memory, if it had been on for most of the day, it could have run out of vertial memory, there for it shuts down so you have to start it up agen so it has freed up some of the memory.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2004 08:59 PM
Ollie3001 is currently offline Click here to Send Ollie3001 a Private Message Find more posts by Ollie3001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

lol mine has been on now for one week or so

my record is about 1.5 months

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2004 09:03 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ollie3001

Bloody hell, why?

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2004 09:12 PM
Ollie3001 is currently offline Click here to Send Ollie3001 a Private Message Find more posts by Ollie3001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Paola
Ronin

quote:
Originally posted by yerssot
what's your RAM?

hmmmmm confused

I don't know....how can I???

by Scythe

Old Post Mar 4th, 2004 03:16 AM
Paola is currently offline Click here to Send Paola a Private Message Find more posts by Paola Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

goto your control panel and hit "System"

Old Post Mar 4th, 2004 12:39 PM