KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Star Wars: Role Playing » USH'S STAR WARS GAME- Pending rules changes (ahh feck...)

USH'S STAR WARS GAME- Pending rules changes (ahh feck...)
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

USH'S STAR WARS GAME- Pending rules changes (ahh feck...)

I didn't want this to happen, but it is...

Some more recent playtesting at home has uncovered some gameplay issues with the current Star Wars rules, so it's being tweaked to a new .1 version. The main worries are:

1. People doing absolutely anything to claw back frames because frames are so darn valuable

2. People fighting in really gay ways to get around not having Total Cover

Frames are the big problem, in the Matrix also. In the Matrix combat is supposed to be really tactical so it is not so bad, but in Star Wars, people around here are getting a habit on concentrating more on hardcore system advantage in the way of frames than they are on, like, playing a STAR WARS game...

So, sorry, but a few things will change, which may mean having to tweak your characters but at LEAST we have not started play yet, and I am hopeful I can fulfil a guarantee that there will be no major changes once we start play.

You can expect the following to happen:

1. Total Cover will disappear. All Force users will have 360 degree Lightsabre protection

2. Block will change into a power like Mind of the Warrior. The dodging power of Mind of the Warrior, if it continues to exist, will move into block

3. There will be some new force powers for defensive use, and also one to give multiple attacks (the interrelation of force/blade tricks will continue in that vein- some blade tricks duplicate force powers on the idea that they are kind of force powers in of themselves)

S, apologies to anyone who took Total Cover, Mind of the Warrior or Block.

Most the system is static at this point; the main worry is that the fights might become dull if the conentration comes on finding small system advantages- as players like to do, of course!

Anyway, sorry about that, and I shall update the new rules ASAP.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on May 2nd, 2004 at 02:35 PM

Old Post May 2nd, 2004 02:01 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xeous
The Next.

Bah, Ush...You smashed Christof with one blow of your mighty Game God powers. I have to remake him now sad

Old Post May 2nd, 2004 02:21 PM
xeous is currently offline Click here to Send xeous a Private Message Find more posts by xeous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

My apologies

We are going to try and think of a new blade trick, else we might run into this problem where ALL Dark Siders take Block and Mind of the Warrior for the real hardcore combat advantage (with a sideline of ricochet and Carnival of Carnage, always a powerful trick, that last one). Problem is, there is only so much you can do with sabres and still keep them even vaguely balanced.

Light Siders, at least, can find more attractions in Bodyguard and Strike to Subdue.

At this point, the new power Force Guard is going in after Reflection, and Force Cleeve just went in... after Speed, I think. Or maybe Strike.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post May 2nd, 2004 02:37 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Ush got a little pissed off I see.
Thats OK, I'll just have to rework my char a little, no biggie.

Old Post May 2nd, 2004 04:10 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Ahh feck...

I knew this would happen eventually, it always does with the Matrix RPG...

Well, Galder might need some new tricks. I don't remember what I gave him off the bat.

For Takuan and Nume, where the hell does Force Lightning come in? stick out tongue

Old Post May 2nd, 2004 10:15 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

I took Block, so I guess I may have to change something...oh well, I'll worry about it later.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post May 2nd, 2004 10:16 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Pfft, Lightning...

In theory it would be a Dark Side power that also required at least the entire Kinetic Tree.

BtVS

Old Post May 2nd, 2004 10:18 PM
Fire

doesn't seem like much that concerns me that thing about the frames was to be expected no?

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post May 2nd, 2004 11:01 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It's a real problem with Jedi.

Annoyingly, of course, I used a ton of zero-frame dodges in that play example...

BtVS

Old Post May 2nd, 2004 11:08 PM
REXXXX
Networking

Ah, I didn't get what you were saying about the frames...

Now I do. yes

Damn, now I was hoping you didn't notice... stick out tongue

Old Post May 3rd, 2004 02:52 AM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

idd ush, that is a very valuable power indeed

Old Post May 3rd, 2004 07:49 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, it's only a frame; same deal as, say, Strike gives you. But there are a lot of these around and Swordsmen types were starting to get a habit of moving twice as fast as everyone else by saving frames.

BtVS

Old Post May 3rd, 2004 10:01 AM
Fire

maybe making it more expensive, or giving it another draw back?

Old Post May 3rd, 2004 10:02 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

You can't make Blade Tricks more expensive, and there is no call giving them drawbacks either. It is also vital that any progression remains very simple.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on May 3rd, 2004 at 10:37 AM

Old Post May 3rd, 2004 10:25 AM
Fire

okie looks like it's gonna be tough

Old Post May 3rd, 2004 10:29 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yeah

But what will basically happen is that just about anything that makes you faster (i.e. saves you frames) is going to be looked at and either be removed (for Blade Tricks) or increased in prince (for Force powers).

In Matrix, attacks that speed you aren't so bad as they are at the expense of a power that might make you hit harder. But in Star Wars, your lightsabres hit as hard as you will ever need, so speeding you up is far more lethal.

BtVS

Old Post May 3rd, 2004 11:12 AM
Fire

true, good thing you caught it

(I was wondering maybe just say you can use a saving power only like once or twice in a round (aka till all your frames are used up))

Old Post May 3rd, 2004 12:13 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

No- on no account are we going to introduce more things for players to remember...

BtVS

Old Post May 3rd, 2004 05:50 PM
Trickster
True KMC Jester

Thank the Lord!

Death only gives another set of choices.

He who dies with the most toys. Still dies.

Old Post May 3rd, 2004 05:57 PM
Trickster is currently offline Click here to Send Trickster a Private Message Find more posts by Trickster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

lol you think players are that dumb?

Old Post May 3rd, 2004 06:06 PM