KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Review: National Treasure

Review: National Treasure
Started by: Cinemaddiction

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

"National Treasure"

To new generation relic hunter, Ben Gates (Cage), the only thing more valuable to him than treasure, was erasing his families legacy of failure. He and his partner Ian (Bean) come to the realization that in order to find this lost bounty, they need a map. That map? The Declaration of Independence. Like any heist, when the stakes are raised, it becomes every man for himself. The hunt is on.

Upon leaving the theater, I said "This is what Tomb Raider" should have been like. It was exciting, humorous, very fast paced heist filled fun. No high flying wire work, bad accents, or killer robots. Nic Cage was cunning in his portrayal of a rare character in heist movies. One that isn't looking to benefit from the treasure, but for from rewriting his family's history, with admirable, yet backhanded patriotism. Justin Bartha as Riley played the Disney family friendly comic relief, Diane Kruger was cast as the female equivalent of Gates, except a lot more attractive, all while Sean Bean brought a shady, Boromir-esque presence to the role of Ian.

It was refreshing to see a big job movie that didn't contain the heist movie cliches. Gunplay was minimal, and money wasn't even a motivator. Talk about a rarity in the genre! A truly unique, effective, and involving storyline with a pinch of patriotism and redemption. "National Treasure" is indeed a treasure in its own right, and it's swift 2 hours well spent, IMO.

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Nov 19th, 2004 at 11:02 PM

Old Post Nov 19th, 2004 10:58 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darktim1

yep can't wait to see the film I know it is about templer nights I also heard that they took the arc of the covenant from the temple mount in jerusalem.The movie looks exciting and nicholas cage always plays good roles so I think everyone should see this film.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2004 11:42 PM
darktim1 is currently offline Click here to Send darktim1 a Private Message Find more posts by darktim1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

Looks like one to go see then smile

Old Post Nov 20th, 2004 02:43 AM
BlackC@ is currently offline Click here to Send BlackC@ a Private Message Find more posts by BlackC@ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

I agree 100% Cinemaddiction!

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 01:27 AM
~JP~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smallville
Last Son of Krypton

I heard it was very similar to the book "Da Vinci Code;" Ebert.

Is it worth seeing in theatres or should I wait for the DVD?

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 04:57 AM
Smallville is currently offline Click here to Send Smallville a Private Message Find more posts by Smallville Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Uh..it has absolutely nothing to do with religion, so no.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 05:31 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I am looking forwards to it, but about the accent thing, if you directed that at Jolie in Tomb Raider, her accent was pretty good. I'm English and I know people who sound like she does in TR.

Just pointing out. smile

Old Post Nov 21st, 2004 11:55 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kella
I hit an armadillo, hard.

I saw National Treasure with my mom, my aunt, and my grandmother...all different generations of my family and every one of us loved this movie! It was awesome! I highly recommend it. Never listen to the movie critics...usually the more they dislike a movie the better it actually is.
My grandma pointed out that there was no gore or sex and there was very little violence and she really liked that about this movie...she also liked that there really was no foul language either...just a couple of slips of the tongue...but she loved that about the movie and it's a movie that makes your mind work and keeps you trying to figure out the clues and overall it was certainly not a waste of the $100 between tickets and snacks that we spent Friday night. big grin

These books own me. Fer reals.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2004 06:48 PM
Kella is currently offline Click here to Send Kella a Private Message Find more posts by Kella Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Walfredo

I have heard a lot of positive reviews from people and $35 million is pretty impressive. I am going to try and go sneak out to it tonight...

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2004 07:41 PM
Walfredo is currently offline Click here to Send Walfredo a Private Message Find more posts by Walfredo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
scott hiwersh

I saw it and liked it. People enjoy a good action movie, that is just the way it is...

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2004 09:01 PM
scott hiwersh is currently offline Find more posts by scott hiwersh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lianslo
chasing the music

I really enjoyed this movie. There were a few cheesy parts, but over all it was very good. I think people like it because its something very different then most other movies today, its refreshing. But I also think the movie wouldn't have been nearly as good without Riley. I found his character to be hilarious. I would definately recommend seeing this!

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2004 10:31 PM
Lianslo is currently offline Click here to Send Lianslo a Private Message Find more posts by Lianslo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Walfredo

How is it for littler kids. I mean i know it is PG, but is it something that everyone will enjoy cause I think I might wit and go see it with the fam this weekend. Gotta think of something to do...:-)

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2004 06:05 PM
Walfredo is currently offline Click here to Send Walfredo a Private Message Find more posts by Walfredo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
scott hiwersh

Great for kids, they might need a little explanation if they do not already know the history of the USA. It is full of action, and very wholesome. Even the bad guys are not too scary. Great family film, IMO...

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2004 06:37 PM
scott hiwersh is currently offline Find more posts by scott hiwersh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Good movie. It was a nice mixture of a heist and adventure film. This mixture isnt attempted that much, and i dont know why. Maybe because most studios dont have Nick cage to fall back on, if their script fails. This flick was about %20 heist, %40 adventure, %30 acting and %10 dialogue. What i was pleased with most about this movie, was that it diddnt try and be a bigger and better product in it's genre. It created substance around a decent idea, rather than trying to create substance from a decent idea. Much like Oceans 11, This film knew what it wanted to do, and diddnt care if it was equal to the standards of other films in it's genre. i'd give it a 7/10 for being a fun ride.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2004 09:28 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

quote:
Originally posted by Walfredo
How is it for littler kids.

Mine loved it smile

Old Post Nov 24th, 2004 12:56 PM
~JP~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Walfredo

Awesome....ragesRemorse - that might be one of the best to-the-point reviews of a movie I have ever read. Thanx... I am even more excited to see this movie now. Thats exactly how I felt the movie should be (or at least was going to be) and I am glad that you described it like that. I just want something fun, that is aimed at being fun. Seems like a success....

Old Post Nov 24th, 2004 02:26 PM
forumcrew

quote:
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
Mine loved it smile

there was a little girl next to me and she seemed to really enjoy it.. its a fun movie to go to.. obviously a bit sily in parts but the story was pretty cool riley had his funny moments and diane kruger is beautifull, sean bean, jon voight, and nick cage do a good job as always too so overall definantly worth going to see

Last edited by forumcrew on Nov 25th, 2004 at 10:14 PM

Old Post Nov 25th, 2004 10:12 PM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mane
Restricted

Account Restricted

I didn't think it looked good, but if Cory and JP liked it, I probably will too.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2004 05:21 AM
Mane is currently offline Click here to Send Mane a Private Message Find more posts by Mane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

how many of these threads are there

especially for a crappy movie..

Old Post Nov 26th, 2004 07:03 AM
Morning_Glory is currently offline Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Well, the trailer makes it look a lot more bland than it really is. It's "topical", and has that "Indiana Jones" feel to it, when it's totally different.

I recommend it, especially over "The Polar Depress".

Old Post Nov 26th, 2004 07:04 AM