KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Swords-Men/Women

Swords-Men/Women
Started by: Discos

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Discos
The Discmeister

Swords-Men/Women

Right, I was in the rental store and overheard a conversation going on between two ladies about Kill Bill and "the brides" sword techniques. I was amazed to here the depth of the discussion but then they went overboard by saying she could have "taken" the likes of Aragorn and Maximus in a sword fight. Ok she has the skills but she has a light samuri sword.

Who would you think would be the greatest person ever to of bore a sword in a movie? I would have to say Achilles from "Troy".

The greatest sword I have seen in a movie would have to be Excalabar (sp?) from "King Arthur"

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Nov 30th, 2004 10:46 PM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roundisfunny

You ever seen one of those five- or six-foot long claymores like in "Braveheart"? Now THOSE seem unstoppable (given a strong enough warrior wielding it).

Raising Arizona, 1987

Old Post Dec 1st, 2004 12:01 AM
roundisfunny is currently offline Click here to Send roundisfunny a Private Message Find more posts by roundisfunny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

Inigo Montoya or The Dread Pirate Roberts. (Depending if we are talking right handed or left handed.)

Old Post Dec 1st, 2004 12:07 AM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

(please log in to view the image)

Don't let the lisp fool you. This Frenchie's got skittles!

Old Post Dec 1st, 2004 12:20 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

Yeah the claymore is such a great sword that it virtually guaranteed Scotland it's Independence from English rule for the last ..oh..no, wait.. damnit.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2004 12:24 AM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

The Brides sword is indeed a beauty. And she obviously wins as female warrior.

The best man to bore a sword in a movie would go to the Blind Swordsman Zatoichi.

Greatest sword on Film would go to Conan The Barbarian

Replica:

Attachment: conan sword.jpg
This has been downloaded 107 time(s).

Old Post Dec 1st, 2004 12:35 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roundisfunny

Logical as always, Zero...the issue is swordfighting, not grand-scale geopolitical positioning. Just because Scotland isn't a world power doesn't mean that a guy with a Claymore couldn't bisect a mustachioed, continental wussy brandishing a flimsy rapier.

Raising Arizona, 1987

Old Post Dec 1st, 2004 12:36 AM
roundisfunny is currently offline Click here to Send roundisfunny a Private Message Find more posts by roundisfunny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aku
Drunk

Katsumoto from the last samurai. Apart from being a spiritual icon and hero of japan. He can sure kick an ass or two with samurai weapons and ju-jitsu (martial art used by the samurai) he could kick the brides ass. And has everyone forgotten about the brides teacher in kill bill 2? He could kick everyones butt from here to Saturn or Jupiter which ever is further.

Savvy? cool

Old Post Dec 1st, 2004 01:09 PM
Aku is currently offline Click here to Send Aku a Private Message Find more posts by Aku Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

round: If I remember correctly the wussy with the rapier won it from the dude with the claymore in Rob Roy

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Dec 1st, 2004 02:04 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roundisfunny

You remember it incorrectly. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Rob Roy (Liam Neeson) split Archibald Cunningham (Tim Roth) right down the torso at the end.

Raising Arizona, 1987

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2004 01:34 AM
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

And If I remember correctly they were both wielding single handed basket hilt claymores.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2004 01:52 AM
Fire

Didn't mean Rob Roy I said in "Rob Roy" Tim Roth fights some other guy in the movie as well, and in that scene the other guy is wielding what looks to be a claymore.

You're right about it being "single handed basket hilt claymores" Zero.

Altho I still seem to remember that big guy in that first fight using some other kind of weapon

Last edited by Fire on Dec 2nd, 2004 at 08:23 AM

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2004 08:15 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aku
Drunk

the yuppon gatana? looks more like a samurai version of Izayoi. And the words by the side are taken from Tenchu 3 (Live by honor, kill by stealth.)

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2004 10:21 AM
Aku is currently offline Click here to Send Aku a Private Message Find more posts by Aku Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

euhm I never played Tenchu 3 so no they don't come from it since they are different. Altho if it was in Tenchu 1 they might have inspired me without me knowing it.

and the yuppon gatana is just a name I like it has nothing to do wiv the Katana. I used the name for something else in a role playing game

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2004 02:39 PM
Aku
Drunk

Still Izayoi is the best sword ever having being handed down to Tatsumaru and then taken by Rikimaru after learning that Tatsumaru had taken the life of their teacher.

Izayoi is the best sword ever.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2004 09:30 PM
roundisfunny

Ohhh, yeah, the first guy...Guthrie, I think his name was. Yeah, Archibald bested him, but then, Rob took him out in about three seconds. He was one of those "best-swordsman-in-the-village-which-isn't-saying-much-because-he's-easily-bested-by-the-villain-to-demonstrate-the-villain's-skill-but-then-more-easily-bested-by-the-hero-to-foreshadow-the-hero's-slight-edge-over-the-villain" fighters.

Raising Arizona, 1987

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2004 11:06 PM
Aku
Drunk

What about Sammo Hung? Hes got skills biatch mofo

Old Post Dec 7th, 2004 10:10 AM
chilled monkey

Very good question.

The greatest swordsman? I'd say Blade. Although Duncan MacLeod comes a close second.

Frustratingly, I can't think of many female sword fighters (I haven't seen Kill Bill). For now, I'll say Helen and Gypsy (The Twins Effect).

I'll post again if I can think of anyone else.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2004 03:04 PM
chilled monkey is currently offline Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aku
Drunk

Women sword fighters. Groovy.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2004 09:01 PM
BoyScoutKevin

Maureen O'Hara.

Not having seen "Kill Bill," neither "Vol. 1" nor "Vol 2," the only woman I've seen in a film that could wield a sword as good as a man, sometimes better, was Maureen O'Hara in "Against All Flags" and "At Sword's Point."

Of course, there was Rachel Blakely, who showed she knew how to use a sword, in "Sir Arthur Conan Doyle"s the Lost World," but that was a television program.

This was also the program, where Jennifer O'Dell showed that she knew how to use a knife.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2005 05:50 PM
BoyScoutKevin is currently offline Click here to Send BoyScoutKevin a Private Message Find more posts by BoyScoutKevin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote