KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Spider-Man » Aunt May gets thrown off the building by OCK.

Aunt May gets thrown off the building by OCK.
Started by: Punkyhermy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Punkyhermy
like memory in motion

Question Aunt May gets thrown off the building by OCK.

So I have this physics project where I have to find clips where the laws of physics are ignored or exaggerated. I remembered the scene on top of the building in Spiderman 2 where Ock throws Aunt May off the building and then Spiderman saves her with his web. Does my memory serve me right? And is this a plausable clip to present?

Old Post Jun 5th, 2006 08:45 PM
Punkyhermy is currently offline Click here to Send Punkyhermy a Private Message Find more posts by Punkyhermy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Marko
Supreme Member

know cos spider web is like ten times stronger than steel of the same thickess. a good one would be the scene in resident evil apocalypse where alice is running down the side of that huge building. or in x men when magneto controls the copper in the statue of liberty

Old Post Jun 5th, 2006 09:16 PM
Marko is currently offline Click here to Send Marko a Private Message Find more posts by Marko Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

Or in Speed, when the bus jumps the gap...

Old Post Jun 5th, 2006 09:26 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Marko
Supreme Member

starwars or any sort of space film when you can here things in space. (apart from 2001 space oddsey kubrik ruled!!!!!)

Old Post Jun 5th, 2006 09:31 PM
Marko is currently offline Click here to Send Marko a Private Message Find more posts by Marko Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Punkyhermy
like memory in motion

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cain marko
know cos spider web is like ten times stronger than steel of the same thickess. a good one would be the scene in resident evil apocalypse where alice is running down the side of that huge building. or in x men when magneto controls the copper in the statue of liberty

Yeah and the impact of the fall would kill her.She's an old frail woman.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2006 09:55 PM
Punkyhermy is currently offline Click here to Send Punkyhermy a Private Message Find more posts by Punkyhermy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

The Spider-Man movies defy the laws of physics ALOT.

You picked well for your project there wink

Old Post Jun 5th, 2006 10:45 PM
Doc Ock is currently offline Click here to Send Doc Ock a Private Message Find more posts by Doc Ock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xNIXSONx
PSN: IAMTHECAVALRY

OH like how in SP1, mj fell off the balcony, and spidey, hopped down, and caught up to her, and shot his web into the sky...

Old Post Jun 5th, 2006 11:11 PM
xNIXSONx is currently offline Click here to Send xNIXSONx a Private Message Find more posts by xNIXSONx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Punkyhermy
like memory in motion

Originally posted by Doc Ock
The Spider-Man movies defy the laws of physics ALOT.

You picked well for your project there wink

smile
Awesome.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2006 11:34 PM
Spideys Sister
Official Spidey Fangirl

Originally posted by Silverstein
OH like how in SP1, mj fell off the balcony, and spidey, hopped down, and caught up to her, and shot his web into the sky...
Wasn't that the parade scene?

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 01:06 PM
Spideys Sister is currently offline Click here to Send Spideys Sister a Private Message Find more posts by Spideys Sister Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dan-El
The Emerald Archer

Well, Spidey's web does shoot out pretty fast. How much PSI do the actual web-shooters in the comics (sadly, from two years ago) get? I know that there's a site out there that has it...

Old Post Jun 7th, 2006 01:19 AM
Dan-El is currently offline Click here to Send Dan-El a Private Message Find more posts by Dan-El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dan-El
The Emerald Archer

"The 300 p.s.i. pressure in each cartridge is sufficient to force a stream of the complex web pattern an estimated 60 feet (significantly farther if shot in a ballistic parabolic arc)."

From www.Alaph.com/spiderman

Old Post Jun 7th, 2006 01:20 AM
Dan-El is currently offline Click here to Send Dan-El a Private Message Find more posts by Dan-El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Drache53
Zombie Hunter

My 'Ultimate Guide to Spider-Man' book (a must for any Spider-Fan) says that the webshooters can propel a strand of webbing up to 50 yards (that's 150 feet for all you math whizzes out there). As for the PSI, I really don't know.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2006 03:10 AM
Drache53 is currently offline Click here to Send Drache53 a Private Message Find more posts by Drache53 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sauro123456

Go with Star Wars, they have all kind of stuff in the movies that could't atually be real. first of all as someone said there would be no sound in space. (austraunats can communicate in space only because there is air in their helmets.). One of the other things would be smoke in space, like when ships explode in episode III. There can be no smoke in space. And also when the Grevious flagship started to accelerate towards the planet after being damaged, that wouldn't happen in real life. ( in real life it would just stay in space.) and thats all only from the space battle in the beginning of episode III.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2006 05:01 PM
sauro123456 is currently offline Click here to Send sauro123456 a Private Message Find more posts by sauro123456 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

Star Wars is sci-fi...

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Jun 7th, 2006 05:13 PM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sauro123456

Originally posted by HellMaster93
Star Wars is sci-fi...

And Spider-Man is not...right?

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 12:47 AM
sauro123456 is currently offline Click here to Send sauro123456 a Private Message Find more posts by sauro123456 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DPFW16

Re: Aunt May gets thrown off the building by OCK.

Originally posted by Punkyhermy
So I have this physics project where I have to find clips where the laws of physics are ignored or exaggerated. I remembered the scene on top of the building in Spiderman 2 where Ock throws Aunt May off the building and then Spiderman saves her with his web. Does my memory serve me right? And is this a plausable clip to present?

What springs to mind in Spider-man 2 is the fight scene on the train. In the scene, Spider-man goes flying forward (toward the front of the train)and barely manages to squeeze through the metal slits in the bridge. He then comes out on the other end and goes flying straight into Doc Ock.
This totally defies the laws of Physics because an object being thrown from a moving vehicle would go as fast as the speed of the moving object PLUS the speed of the throw.
SO, in this case, Spider-man would land on the train waaaaaaaay up in front of the train (or he might have overshot the train completely). This is because he is already moving as fast as the train (he is on it) and Doc Ock flings him with additional speed... so his "true" speed is the speed of the train plus the speed he is thrown.
Even accounting for air friction, I doubt he'd land on top of Ock (he should land much further in front of Ock).
I hope I'm explaining this well enough. You definitely want to check me, but I'm pretty confident about it.
Good luck!

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 01:00 AM
DPFW16 is currently offline Click here to Send DPFW16 a Private Message Find more posts by DPFW16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote