KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Signature Forum » - Cpt. Valerian's Sigs -

- Cpt. Valerian's Sigs -
Started by: Lt. Valerian

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

- Lt. Valerian's Sigs -

Alright... Please understand that I am a compleeete novice in signature making. smile

So, don't be too harsh. big grin

This is my VERY first sig. eek! ANY good advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know why, but the "L" is placed two times. Probably a silly mistake of mine while doing something to the dialogue.

Attachment: lalalalala.jpg
This has been downloaded 253 time(s).

Last edited by Col. Valerian on May 1st, 2008 at 09:55 PM

Old Post May 1st, 2008 09:47 PM
Col. Valerian is currently offline Click here to Send Col. Valerian a Private Message Find more posts by Col. Valerian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Background is interesting, which is a compliment. Hard to tell what the render is, and it doesn't mesh with the bg well. Text is eck, but that can be said for anyone new to sigmaking, and a fair numebr of experienced sigmakers as well.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell anyone. If you want to improve, read tutorials, get better programs (unless you're already using Gimp or Photoshop), do lots of random practice even if it doesn't come out as a usable sig, and browse the forums here to see how others do things for inspiration.

This is a good place to start:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f76/t388403.html
Renders, tuts, brushes, programs, etc.

Last edited by Digi on May 1st, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Old Post May 1st, 2008 10:11 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

Yes, I've already checked the page out, that's why I downloaded GIMP. Yeah, I know, probably should've chosen another render.

Old Post May 1st, 2008 10:25 PM
Col. Valerian is currently offline Click here to Send Col. Valerian a Private Message Find more posts by Col. Valerian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Not a problem. It's your first sig. And Gimp's as good as you'll find outside of PS, which is what most people here use, but it can do good work. My current was actually made in Gimp, for example. Most people read tuts to improve. I just made countless crappy sigs until I started to get better. Either way works (or some combination of the two), but at least you're starting off on a good foot.

Old Post May 1st, 2008 10:29 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

Thanks. smile Yes, that's what I've been doing lately. Checkin out tuts and downloading new brushes from deviantart. I'm going to check out some people's sigs to see how could I improve. Besides yourself, could you tell me who here are great sig-makers?

Old Post May 1st, 2008 10:37 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Unfortunately, the forum is a shell of its former self in terms of activity. So most of the sigmakers I'd tell you to view have been "retired" for a while, or only rarely make signatures.

Anyway: Gannon, Alliance, Amity75, Peach, Aurora, TOH, Phucked Up, H.S.6, Pittman, etc. Or mine, I suppose, but I consider the majority of my work subordinate to most of those I listed. Some of their galleries are still of page 1, others you may have to type into the search or dig a few more pages. It can be good just to get ideas to try for yourself, because attempting to copy exact techniques or signatures generally ends poorly. But I'm started with a signature in mind plenty of times and just improvised once it went in a different direction...but having a template to work from helped.

Old Post May 1st, 2008 10:46 PM
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

Okay. Thanks for the advices, Digi. I won't be posting until monday, so I will probably come up with a second sig on that same day. I'm leaving now. See you around.

Old Post May 1st, 2008 10:56 PM
Peach
mordrem

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Unfortunately, the forum is a shell of its former self in terms of activity. So most of the sigmakers I'd tell you to view have been "retired" for a while, or only rarely make signatures.

Anyway: Gannon, Alliance, Amity75, Peach, Aurora, TOH, Phucked Up, H.S.6, Pittman, etc. Or mine, I suppose, but I consider the majority of my work subordinate to most of those I listed. Some of their galleries are still of page 1, others you may have to type into the search or dig a few more pages. It can be good just to get ideas to try for yourself, because attempting to copy exact techniques or signatures generally ends poorly. But I'm started with a signature in mind plenty of times and just improvised once it went in a different direction...but having a template to work from helped.

Also, if you go and look through our galleries, you can see how all of us have progressed ourselves, which always amuses me stick out tongue

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post May 1st, 2008 11:17 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

big grin

I've seen through some great sigmaker's final sigs, and I noticed they use very different types of brushes. That surely makes it more interesting. I'll try it out.

Old Post May 2nd, 2008 12:10 AM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Good work, Mengsk.

Old Post May 2nd, 2008 01:33 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lt. Valerian
big grin

I've seen through some great sigmaker's final sigs, and I noticed they use very different types of brushes. That surely makes it more interesting. I'll try it out.

Oh, also. About 2-3 pages back from the most recent page in my gallery, there's a list of every tournament and the signature(s) that won.

Old Post May 2nd, 2008 01:59 AM
Unbias3d
Paradox

nice sig lt. *salutes*

Old Post May 2nd, 2008 02:20 AM
Unbias3d is currently offline Click here to Send Unbias3d a Private Message Find more posts by Unbias3d Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

Right... I have made five more signatures in these last days. I discovered I LOVE tech brushes, so all of them are tech sigs. Besides, I was not able to get online because there was no internet, and therefore I didn't see or read more tutorials.

Here's the second one:

Attachment: 3rd sig - lost robot.jpg
This has been downloaded 306 time(s).

Old Post May 6th, 2008 01:50 AM
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

Third.

I'll post the rest in a few minutes.

Attachment: 4th sig - the lt. valerian sig.jpg
This has been downloaded 195 time(s).

Old Post May 6th, 2008 01:52 AM
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

Fourth...

Attachment: 5th sig - perfect assassin.jpg
This has been downloaded 299 time(s).

Old Post May 6th, 2008 02:18 AM
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

The fifth is the one I am currently using, and the sixth:

I tried to make it a little bit different.

Attachment: 7th sig - purple killer.jpg
This has been downloaded 288 time(s).

Old Post May 6th, 2008 02:38 AM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Wow. I like the one your using. That's a bad ass style. Is the lines and shapes in the background brushes?

Old Post May 6th, 2008 04:01 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Oh yeah, they are brushes.

Yeah that's badass, I love it too. Gonna try that when I get the chance.

Old Post May 6th, 2008 05:15 AM
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

Yup, they are. Glad you liked it. big grin I'm only a beginner, so opinions and suggestions are welcomed.

Last edited by Col. Valerian on May 6th, 2008 at 05:46 AM

Old Post May 6th, 2008 05:43 AM
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

Alright, here's my last one. I used different techniques on this one, trying to make it look a bit different.

I don't like the way the render ended up very much.

Attachment: 7th - sig tuto!.jpg
This has been downloaded 178 time(s).

Old Post May 7th, 2008 04:32 AM