KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Jinzin vs OneDumbG0: Can telepathic blasts move at light speed or beyond

Jinzin vs OneDumbG0: Can telepathic blasts move at light speed or beyond
Started by: OneDumbG0

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ODG

Jinzin vs OneDumbG0: Can telepathic blasts move at light speed or beyond

This thread discusses a point that's been brought up in another thread. The rules are subject to jinzin's approval, if he accepts this challenge. I am arguing that it's reasonable to interpret this telepathic bolt as moving at light speed or beyond. To give you further background, I continually held it out as evidence of FTL reflexes:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/...rspeed12428.jpg

Jinzin thinks it is absurd and completely unreasonable to assume so. As such, he has insisted that I address this point, like so:
quote: (post)
Originally posted by jinzin
And NO... I'm not going to drop the telepathic bolt discussion because I'm not doing this again with you and it's the primary reason why we're here now. You made this thread as a direct means to attack my rationale which you label as absurd; don't be upset when I treat you in turn.

PROVE that telepathic BOLTS move at light speed. PROVE that Thor's reaction speed is beyond an instantaneous result.
If I prove that it's reasonable to interpret telepathic bolts as moving at light speed, that naturally proves that Thor moving after it was fired is on-panel evidence of FTL reflexes in that instance. That much is obvious. I have no set time limit, although I prefer this to end one week from now. I don't object to comments from other posters, but NO ARGUMENTATION. I don't want people forcing either of us to argue on multiple fronts. Jinzin and I have strongly distinct opinions enough as it is. We reserve the right to approve judges. Votes will be tallied at the end and require a succinct explanation based completely on the arguments and evidence provided by us alone. No preconceived opinions. So that's it. Jinzin, as once before, you may clarify your position with an opening post. Begin whenever you like.

Revamped Thor Respect Thread Revamped Loki Respect Thread
Revamped Hulk Respect Thread Revamped Iron Man Respect Thread

Old Post May 25th, 2009 03:58 AM
ODG is currently offline Click here to Send ODG a Private Message Find more posts by ODG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post May 25th, 2009 04:20 AM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

^ I was reserving that for later use... Anyway, I'm going to ask that if jinzin accepts this challenge, other posters refrain from arguing or making posts that would invite arguments, rebuttals or any sort of debates. I'd rather not have either of us distracted whereby we have to reply on multiple fronts. This includes posting scans.

id369: If you're reading this within the 15 minutes edit time limit, please edit and remove the scan and replace it with something else (not another scan). Also, if you steal my thunder again, I'll bash you with a fish.

Old Post May 25th, 2009 05:01 AM
ODG is currently offline Click here to Send ODG a Private Message Find more posts by ODG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spire

He posted 40 minutes ago.

Old Post May 25th, 2009 05:04 AM
Spire is currently offline Click here to Send Spire a Private Message Find more posts by Spire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

Originally posted by OneDumbG0
^ I was reserving that for later use... Anyway, I'm going to ask that if jinzin accepts this challenge, other posters refrain from arguing or making posts that would invite arguments, rebuttals or any sort of debates. I'd rather not have either of us distracted whereby we have to reply on multiple fronts. This includes posting scans.

id369: If you're reading this within the 15 minutes edit time limit, please edit and remove the scan and replace it with something else (not another scan). Also, if you steal my thunder again, I'll bash you with a fish.

embarrasment

Old Post May 25th, 2009 05:05 AM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

Originally posted by Spire
He posted 40 minutes ago.
When I want things done, they're supposed to get done, regardless of menial limitations like the space-time continuum.

Old Post May 25th, 2009 05:15 AM
Spire

When I want things done, they're supposed to get done, regardless of menial limitations like the space-time continuum.

Seemingly, you had potential to be my equal. Alas, you fail to get things done.

Old Post May 25th, 2009 05:20 AM
Spire is currently offline Click here to Send Spire a Private Message Find more posts by Spire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

Originally posted by Spire
Seemingly, you had potential to be my equal. Alas, you fail to get things done.

Hold on. Let me handle the lightweight. embarrasment

OneDumbG0 the only real power you have is your direct line to my cerebral cortex. Through inference, we are able to determine that you approve of all of my decisions and in all likelihood originated the ideas yourself.

Old Post May 25th, 2009 05:24 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

erm. two threads for a the same combatants battling? Why not just make it a subset of your other discussion? Because it's starting to seem a little overdone this time.

Old Post May 25th, 2009 05:27 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

^ Because they're different premises entirely. I don't want that issue being confused, or distracted from, by this entirely separate issue with intentional equivocations. I don't mind addressing one after the other in the other thread. But not at the same time.

Deciding whether it's reasonable to interpret scans as proof of FTB or FTL speed, where it's not concretely shown whether the character waited until the precise moment or after the precise moment to initiate their move... is wholly separate from deciding whether it's more reasonable to interpret telepathic blasts as capable of travelling at light speed or beyond.

One concerns the reasonability of our interpretaton of speed feats in general. The other concerns the measurement of fictional comic science. I'd rather leave it to jinzin to either a) accept this separate debate, b) refuse to separate the two and bow out of both discussions entirely, or c) debate the second issue AFTER we've resolved the first.

Old Post May 25th, 2009 05:39 AM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Considering that telepathic attacks don't exist in real life, any speed assigned to said attacks in fiction is arbitrary. So unless such an attack is portrayed as consistently moving at lightspeed or above, then it is an unquantifiable feat.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post May 25th, 2009 06:41 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

^ This debate hasn't started. If you didn't bother to read the above posts, then read them. Assuming you bothered to read the posts above, then you should have noticed that I didn't invite debate from other posters. So kindly step out. Especially considering that measurements are made when there's on-panel proof and not arbitararily. Also, thanks for pointing out that telepathy doesn't exist in real life and we're dealing with fiction.

Old Post May 25th, 2009 07:21 AM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Sorry, geez

Sig by Starlock

Old Post May 25th, 2009 08:00 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cloud102

Originally posted by Digi
erm. two threads for a the same combatants battling? Why not just make it a subset of your other discussion? Because it's starting to seem a little overdone this time.

I agree.

B5

Old Post May 25th, 2009 08:11 AM
cloud102 is currently offline Click here to Send cloud102 a Private Message Find more posts by cloud102 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Originally posted by cloud102
I agree.
I don't.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post May 25th, 2009 08:12 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cloud102

So what?

B5

Old Post May 25th, 2009 08:16 AM
cloud102 is currently offline Click here to Send cloud102 a Private Message Find more posts by cloud102 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

So I don't.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post May 25th, 2009 08:18 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Mindset
So I don't.

I agree, he doesn't.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post May 25th, 2009 08:27 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinzin

Originally posted by Digi
It is, I'm not doing this with him here and I told him that, close this damned thread.

Old Post May 25th, 2009 10:42 AM
jinzin is currently offline Click here to Send jinzin a Private Message Find more posts by jinzin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gogogadgetgo

though i do agree that the speed of thought is instantanious, wouldn't the speed of thought be dependent on the person doing thinking? for example prof x and superman.

lets say prof x is powerful enough to telepathically control superman. but since he operates at a speed of normal human beings, his thought is slower than superman's thoughts and before he can actually finish thinking of control superman, supes would have already finished thinking of punching prof x and would have already reacted to his thoughts of punching prof x and would have already punched prof x.

or lets say that wolverine and silver surfer were both traveling at the speed of light and are both about to run into a planet in a 10th of a second. i have no doubt that the surfer would be able to think fast enough to evade the planet. but would wolverine be able to? before wolverine would have finished thinking of thinking to turn left, right, up or down or evade, he'd have already collided with the planet.

just my two cents.

Old Post May 25th, 2009 11:02 AM
gogogadgetgo is currently offline Click here to Send gogogadgetgo a Private Message Find more posts by gogogadgetgo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote