KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Watching Order

Watching Order
Started by: Mstr GEKA

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mstr GEKA
Dumb as a Wise Can Be

Watching Order

I was wondering in what order would you show SW to people who never saw it...

The OT or the PT first?

I am thinking about moments such as: "no I am your father!" If you know it... it would not be that powerful...

On the other hand watching the PT without knowing that anakin will turn to the dark side must be something special!

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 02:47 AM
Click here to Send Mstr GEKA a Private Message Find more posts by Mstr GEKA Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

OT first.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 02:49 AM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mysterio69
bored as f.uck

well, it would be kinda cool to watch 1-6, and find everything out as it happened..i guess.
but i'd say OT first.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 03:06 AM
Click here to Send mysterio69 a Private Message Find more posts by mysterio69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

I'd say PT. Just let them watch it the way Lucas wanted it to be...well I guess he wanted to start us with 4 since he thought it would be the most successful. Alright OT.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 03:12 AM
Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

Although I find the thought of watching the PT before the OT extremely intriguing.

i'd have to say OT first. because if not then the best lines in the OT are not so good anymore.

i.e. "No! I am your father"

doesn't seem as "wow!" as it would if you watched the PT first.

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 04:05 AM
Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SS_181st_Snow
Flyer of the Wraith.

I think it'd make even less sense by watching 1-6. With the OT, you learn about characters, but with the PT, they're just thrown at you. Also, the surprises. There are way more surprises than in the PT. For one; Learning Ben Kenobi is really Obi-Wan for the first time, Learning Vader is Luke's father, Learning who yoda is, all that. What's the big surprise in the PT? Wow, Anakin turns evil, Palps is a sith. I choose OT first.

HEIL BARON VON RICHTHOFEN! HEIL THE LUFTWAFFE!

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 04:12 AM
Click here to Send SS_181st_Snow a Private Message Find more posts by SS_181st_Snow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Vader05
Lord Of The Sith

I would watch Star Wars the way they were suppost to be watched from 1-6 thats what im going to do when i get my Episode III DVD on November 8th 2005!

Remember the dark side will be with you always.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 04:14 AM
Click here to Send Darth_Vader05 a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Vader05 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cipher
Non-Entity

1-6 so that they got the complete story in its intended order.

"I am your father" was only a surprise because we didn't
know the whole story.....

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 05:14 AM
Click here to Send Cipher a Private Message Find more posts by Cipher Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EHmasterJedi
Jedi Master

If your showing the movie to a person thats never seen them before id say (although its a tough call) watch the OT first, then hopfully that peron will be interested enough to keep interest in the PT LOL, In the PT E1 had the best cemestry between actors because of Qui-Gon, E3 had the best for action and keeping your interest, E2 just plain sucked.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 06:16 AM
Click here to Send EHmasterJedi a Private Message Find more posts by EHmasterJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kremzike
Max Rebo's roadie

4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 08:30 AM
Click here to Send kremzike a Private Message Find more posts by kremzike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Funkadelic

4,5,6, 2,3,1

It's an image worth pondering for a moment. Maybe, when you cut past the instrumental and songwriting virtuosity, the funny voices and characters, what is left is a man alone in his recording studio for days at a time.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 08:43 AM
Click here to Send Funkadelic a Private Message Find more posts by Funkadelic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tulak Hord
I think it'd make even less sense by watching 1-6. With the OT, you learn about characters, but with the PT, they're just thrown at you. Also, the surprises. There are way more surprises than in the PT. For one; Learning Ben Kenobi is really Obi-Wan for the first time, Learning Vader is Luke's father, Learning who yoda is, all that. What's the big surprise in the PT? Wow, Anakin turns evil, Palps is a sith. I choose OT first.

The PT the characters are just thrown at you?? In the OT its the same thing, all the characters are thrown at you.
Granted if you watch the PT there are not as many surprises, but some of the lines mean more....in epIV "when last we met i was the learner now i am the master" THe falcon hiding on the star destroyer does not work cause Boba had seen it done before.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 02:13 PM
Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

They were designed to be watched 456123, so lets just leave it at that.

They can work 123456, but are less effective.

The whole point is to watch the main bulk of the story (OT) then go back and watch the backstory once you find out Vader's secret.

You need the OT to make you care about watching Vader's origin.

Watching Episode I first is a mistake. You don't know any of the characters, they aren't introduced as well as those in Episode IV and it isn't a good movie unless you KNOW where the characters such as Anakin are heading.

Episode IV is the starting point. It's the intro to the rules of the universe. The prequels are designed with an expectation that the audience knows what has gone before.

Last edited by Red Superfly on Jul 7th, 2005 at 02:58 PM

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 02:56 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Originally posted by Red Superfly
Watching Episode I first is a mistake. You don't know any of the characters, they aren't introduced as well as those in Episode IV and it isn't a good movie unless you KNOW where the characters such as Anakin are heading.

Ummm yea right the characters were intorduced so well in EPIV "Han Solo captain of the millenium falcon" That sums up this whole character for me I know all about him. NOT!
The only reason you think they were introduced so well in the OT is because you are putting the character together after watching all 3 of the movies. and you have had 20+ years to get them implanted in your head.
The only characters we that we know about their whole life now are Anakin, Luke and Leia and maybe Obi-wan. everyone else's back story is a mystery.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 04:13 PM
Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vanquish

I'd say 1-6 would be the best, but it's not really possible to do that because of the massive difference in special effects. If you were to show them to someone now, they would probably love the first 3, even TPM. But when you get to 4, they would lose interest very fast.

So I think due to special effect constraints, you would have to show them 4-6, and then 1-3 later if they make it through the OT first.

When I watch the OT, I don't even notice the lower special effects because I loved them so much as a kid, but people watching them now wouldn't like it much.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 04:19 PM
Click here to Send Vanquish a Private Message Find more posts by Vanquish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Duffy

Star Wars is the masterpiece it is because of the way it is told so if you ask me it should always be watched 4,5,6,1,2,3.
Wouldnt be the same any other way.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 04:34 PM
Click here to Send Darth_Duffy a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Duffy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

Originally posted by darthmaul1
Ummm yea right the characters were intorduced so well in EPIV "Han Solo captain of the millenium falcon" That sums up this whole character for me I know all about him. NOT!
The only reason you think they were introduced so well in the OT is because you are putting the character together after watching all 3 of the movies. and you have had 20+ years to get them implanted in your head.
The only characters we that we know about their whole life now are Anakin, Luke and Leia and maybe Obi-wan. everyone else's back story is a mystery.

Erm, excuse me? How else would Han be introduced?

Han was a smuggler and the captain of the Falcon. That's pretty much it. He was introduced in possibly the best way.

Also, they were "implanted into my head" the moment I saw them. They were introduced and BANG, I knew what was going on. Simple as that.

This isn't about who's backstory is the best, it's about how they were introduced. We don't need to see Han's backstory to know his character.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 04:38 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ogami Itto
Lone Wolf and Cub

OT first!!!! that introduces the sw galaxy as red superfly stated!!

example : my girlfriend was watching the TPM when it was on at my house oneday, {she had never seen anthying sw releted b4} and when they used the force like ,push or jumping really high she was like WTF??????????? i said "they r using the force" once again she was like WTF???????????

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be lesser and greater persons than yourself.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 04:48 PM
Click here to Send Ogami Itto a Private Message Find more posts by Ogami Itto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OB1-adobe

Originally posted by Red Superfly
They were designed to be watched 456123, so lets just leave it at that.

They can work 123456, but are less effective.

They were not, quit running your mouth like that. Just because thats the way you saw it doesn't mean that is the way it should be.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 04:50 PM
Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vanquish

I guess this is a tough one to answer. That example of your girlfriend not knowing what the force even is, that's a good example actually. I never thought of it that way. Probably people watching TPM first would have a million fuking questions about what exactly the jedi and sith are doing, and even what they are.

Ya, a new person to star wars wouldn't have the first damn clue what's going on in TPM now that I think about it.

4-6 first is an absolute must. Hopefully they can overlook the 30 year old special effects and enjoy the movies anyway.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2005 04:56 PM
Click here to Send Vanquish a Private Message Find more posts by Vanquish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote