KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » The Difference Between FILMS and MOVIES?

The Difference Between FILMS and MOVIES?
Started by: Cinemaddiction

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Question The Difference Between FILMS and MOVIES?

I was watching "Tetsuo: The Iron Man" this afternoon and got to thinking. This particular piece of media wasn't intended for a broad audience, which made me wonder. Would people consider this a "film" or a "movie", and what are the differences, if any, between them.

To me, a "film" is a more personal piece of art. The writer/director has absolute control over the piece, it's not necessarily intended to "entertain", and is all about self-expression, and should YOU like it, that's a bonus.

On the flip side, a "movie" is just the opposite. It's made to entertain, may or may not be horribly formulaic, and share a lot of atypical movie structures and devices.

Is there anyone else out there that thinks the two terms aren't as interchangable as one may think, and should films and movies be recognized as such, or are they in actuality all the same?

Old Post Jul 15th, 2005 06:11 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

I kinda agree... My thinking is that a film is a movie, but a movie is not neccesarily a film. That is to say a film is a type of movie. I've always taken the term "movie" to mean 'moving pictures' (as in "talkie" when movies with dialogue came out), so then ANY media that has moving pictures would be a "movie".

But I agree that a "film" is a more personal media. It's a more artistic movie...

Old Post Jul 15th, 2005 06:22 AM
DeVi| D0do is currently offline Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
*Georgina_A*
those technicolour eyes

I think they're all the same, but I see your point about a film being more personal and artistic now that you mention it messed I've always said film and taken the word movie to be more of an American word...but that's just me erm

I'm a highschool lover....
& you're my favourite flavour.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2005 06:24 AM
*Georgina_A* is currently offline Click here to Send *Georgina_A* a Private Message Find more posts by *Georgina_A* Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Well I technically believe they are the same, but I do often use them the way described by CA. Example, WotW would be something I would mention as a movie while I'm discussing with somebody while something like Sideways I would often use the word film. Btw, I prefer movies that I refer to as films.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2005 06:56 AM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stokely

No.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2005 07:23 AM
Stokely is currently offline Click here to Send Stokely a Private Message Find more posts by Stokely Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
papabeard
tHe RiVeRmaN

You could ask what is the difference between Art and Commerce.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2005 08:05 AM
papabeard is currently offline Click here to Send papabeard a Private Message Find more posts by papabeard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

Perhaps it is something of a genre almost, like what is the difference between fiction and literature? To me it seems like the levels. Movies are like fiction, big sellers, big budgets, made with good intentions and all, but still intended to appeal to the masses. A film, on the other hand, is far more niche, artistic, mass appeal is to a degree sacrificed to create a far more personal, creative piece of cinema. When I think of film I think of many French creations, and arthouse. When I think of movies I can't help but think of the latest carbon copy Hollywood action, or yet another buddy comedy.

From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2005 11:27 AM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Murray
Self-Pity Wallower

I agree with Cinemaddiction.

I would say that the difference between a film and a movie is:

FILM: done more for art and self-satisfaction than for the entertainment of others. A masterpiece that doesn't have to be for display, but if chosen to be, wants to show the audience something, like a lesson or moral.

MOVIE: done strictly for entertainment and not for a true art meaning. Made to make money and be recognized as popular and awesome, not for magnificense of the way the film was made.

"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." -Alexander Hamilton

Old Post Jul 15th, 2005 01:45 PM
Murray is currently offline Click here to Send Murray a Private Message Find more posts by Murray Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
To me, a "film" is a more personal piece of art. The writer/director has absolute control over the piece, it's not necessarily intended to "entertain", and is all about self-expression, and should YOU like it, that's a bonus.

On the flip side, a "movie" is just the opposite. It's made to entertain, may or may not be horribly formulaic, and share a lot of atypical movie structures and devices.

That is basically how I view Film/Movie.

Ingmar Bergman's work is Films, The Rock's work is Movies...

Old Post Jul 15th, 2005 02:31 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kram3r

You definitely have a point there CA.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2005 02:31 AM
Kram3r is currently offline Click here to Send Kram3r a Private Message Find more posts by Kram3r Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

A bad film told in pretty pictures is still a bad film

A good film with dodgy shots is still a good film.

Ultimately, its about story.

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Jul 16th, 2005 02:42 AM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

I agee 100% same thing as most movies as youd call them are just "popcorn flicks" But not great peices of work

Old Post Jul 16th, 2005 06:58 AM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I was watching "Tetsuo: The Iron Man" this afternoon and got to thinking. This particular piece of media wasn't intended for a broad audience, which made me wonder. Would people consider this a "film" or a "movie", and what are the differences, if any, between them.

Is there anyone else out there that thinks the two terms aren't as interchangable as one may think, and should films and movies be recognized as such, or are they in actuality all the same?

I don't know if that is the right definition (I mean there most be some, doesn't tere?) but I think that is a very good idea either way.....and should probably be so...
Although for some reason I connect Movies with Cinema while Films don't necessarily ....don't really know.....so why the hell do I post sad

Old Post Jul 16th, 2005 10:12 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

isn't the only difference the ethymology of the word?

for me it's the same confused
movie does mean film in polish
and film is film always.

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post Jul 16th, 2005 11:29 AM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

It's more of an industry thing, honestly. I like to make the differentiation, because there are "movies" that really deserve a distinction from one another, i.e. "Naked Lunch" and "To Wong Foo.."

Old Post Jul 16th, 2005 03:38 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

except for opinions there is no difference between a film and a movie.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2005 04:13 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dawsey28

I've always used them interchangeably, myself.

Had no idea that anyone thought there was a difference.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2005 05:45 PM
dawsey28 is currently offline Click here to Send dawsey28 a Private Message Find more posts by dawsey28 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

perhaps its a wrong approach, albeit knowing what you are talking about

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Jul 16th, 2005 10:04 PM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

It's the same thing. Or so it is for me, as we only have one word for film/movie here.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 12:20 AM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu
Exit Prophet Enter Praylu

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
except for opinions there is no difference between a film and a movie.

Originally posted by dawsey28
I've always used them interchangeably, myself.

Had no idea that anyone thought there was a difference.

I must agree, I feel the same way.

SPIDER-MAN 3 DIRECTOR'S CUT PETITION HERE

Old Post Jul 18th, 2005 12:33 AM
Praylu is currently offline Click here to Send Praylu a Private Message Find more posts by Praylu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote