KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Darth Vader vs Ben Kenobi (ANH)

Darth Vader vs Ben Kenobi (ANH)
Started by: kamikz

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

Darth Vader vs Ben Kenobi (ANH)

Ok just talk, if you don't like it don't bother.

Necessity is the mother of inventions.
(Don't be a pig, get an Icejaw sig.)

Old Post Aug 5th, 2005 09:10 PM
Click here to Send kamikz a Private Message Find more posts by kamikz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

And Ben is not allowed to kill himself.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2005 09:26 PM
Click here to Send kamikz a Private Message Find more posts by kamikz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Sure he is, but if the situation called for Ben to whup ass, he would. You have to figure, he has only gained in power since ROTS (At least, Force power. And his form III mastery is complete) whereas Vader just got weaker.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2005 09:53 PM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

Actually, I find him much weaker in ANH. I don't know who would win really, Ben sacrafised himself in the battle with Darth on the death star. But if he could beat him, why wouldent he?

Old Post Aug 5th, 2005 10:27 PM
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Good question, actually. Very good question. And to that I give you a few theories...

- Ben had never intended to kill Vader. It should be noted that ANH Obi-Wan is much calmer, and more collected than his younger self. He does not run around sabering everything. He sneaks through the whole Death Star (filled with millions of Imerial personnel) without killing a soul. Ben's ultimate victory is a moral one, not a physical one. Plus, he believed as Yoda did that the son and daughter of Skywalker would prove to be his salvation.

- Gl wouldn't have a blockbuster series if the main badass died in the first flick.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2005 10:31 PM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Thor
Restricted

Account Restricted

janus, can i give dantheman ur sn?

Old Post Aug 5th, 2005 10:53 PM
Click here to Send Dark Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Thor
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think this battle is a draw.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2005 08:47 PM
Click here to Send Dark Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

vader did say, 'You have grown weak old man'

Old Post Aug 6th, 2005 09:16 PM
Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth243

what was the point of obi wan taking one for the team anyways? to become a "force ghost"? ive always had trouble fathoming that one

Old Post Aug 8th, 2005 05:31 AM
Click here to Send Darth243 a Private Message Find more posts by Darth243 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Illustrious
Sans Pareil

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth243
what was the point of obi wan taking one for the team anyways? to become a "force ghost"? ive always had trouble fathoming that one

To allow Luke to drop the "I am your father" line.

I don't see old Obi-Wan reforming the Jedi Order, do you? Perhaps he was gifted with the foresight of knowing that Luke was more likely to continue the legacy than an old man like himself.

But the fact remains that he raised his saber and let Vader kill him.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2005 05:33 AM
Click here to Send Illustrious a Private Message Find more posts by Illustrious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth L. Dipsit
Pimp of Good

Originally posted by Darth_Janus
Good question, actually. Very good question. And to that I give you a few theories...

- Ben had never intended to kill Vader. It should be noted that ANH Obi-Wan is much calmer, and more collected than his younger self. He does not run around sabering everything.

Actually, I have much respect for the character of young Obi-Wan Kenobi, because of the fact that he seems already as mature as I thought he ever grew to be. It seemed like that was implied, for example, when Obi-Wan says to Anakin in Clone Wars "there are alternatives to fighting" and then, as an old man in ANH, he says to Han Solo the same exact quote. His character seemed to me always to have had a consistently controlled and calm disposition - like a true Jedi. This was the impression that I got, though. Perhaps it is flawed - I just wanted to get that perspective out there.

Dark Helmet: "I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate."

Old Post Aug 8th, 2005 05:39 AM
Click here to Send Darth L. Dipsit a Private Message Find more posts by Darth L. Dipsit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth243

why wasnt obi wan glorified the way that anakin was? it seems like hes always been made out to be weak until the revenge of the sith, dont get me wrong im a die hard vader fan , but i think obi deserves more attention

Old Post Aug 8th, 2005 05:46 AM
Click here to Send Darth243 a Private Message Find more posts by Darth243 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

you haven't been here for long I see. He is probably the overall fav. Jedi here.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2005 05:47 AM
Click here to Send Darth_Glentract a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Glentract Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth243

yeah im new to the site and forums therein.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2005 05:49 AM
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

this is the first forum i've been a part of

Old Post Aug 8th, 2005 05:49 AM
Click here to Send Darth_Glentract a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Glentract Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Originally posted by Darth L. Dipsit
Actually, I have much respect for the character of young Obi-Wan Kenobi, because of the fact that he seems already as mature as I thought he ever grew to be. It seemed like that was implied, for example, when Obi-Wan says to Anakin in Clone Wars "there are alternatives to fighting" and then, as an old man in ANH, he says to Han Solo the same exact quote. His character seemed to me always to have had a consistently controlled and calm disposition - like a true Jedi. This was the impression that I got, though. Perhaps it is flawed - I just wanted to get that perspective out there.

I agree. Obi-wan and Yoda are the two true jedi in the series. In the OT in particular, they don't kill a soul. And they have no qualms about death... There ultimate treasure is metaphysical. I mean, it's not an easy mindset to get used to when you consider how materialistic and selfish human beings are in general, but a true Jedi has mastered his urges and desires and does not fear death. Even Yoda says as much.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2005 06:29 PM
Nai
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally posted by Darth_Janus
- Ben had never intended to kill Vader. It should be noted that ANH Obi-Wan is much calmer, and more collected than his younger self. He does not run around sabering everything. He sneaks through the whole Death Star (filled with millions of Imerial personnel) without killing a soul. Ben's ultimate victory is a moral one, not a physical one. Plus, he believed as Yoda did that the son and daughter of Skywalker would prove to be his salvation.

Well...
I think that Ben didn't saber all those troops down because it was not necessary to do so. Everytime you see him cut something down in the movies it's just necessary and in most situations he is killing droids. The only exceptions are: Maul, that insect-like monster on Geonosis, Grievous (who is partly a normal being) and the clone troopers in front of the Jedi tempel. Plus cutting two limbs off (headhuntress in AotC, that guy in the bar in ANH).

The Jedi have a very strong respect for every single living being and they won't kill somebody if it's not necessary. Ben could have killed quite many people in ANH (Tusken, sandtroopers, stormtroopers).

That's my theory why he didn't kill all that people. Another theory would be that they didn't have the technology in 1977 to make Obi-Wan run and jump around and waste serveral thousand stormtroopers with his lightsaber.

Back to the topic: Ben would kill Vader. He defeated Vader when he had all his limbs together and more raw power. Since Jedi naturaly don't get weaker in lightsaber duels when they get older (watch Dooku who is older than Obi-Wan in the OT) he would be even worse than in ROTS. Vader is dead.

"Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?"

Old Post Aug 8th, 2005 06:43 PM
Click here to Send Nai a Private Message Find more posts by Nai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

rolling on floor laughing

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Last edited by ((The_Anomaly)) on Aug 8th, 2005 at 06:51 PM

Old Post Aug 8th, 2005 06:45 PM
Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

He indeed defeated Vader when Vader had more raw power but nothing ever said he had more power. Obi Wan had over 20 years of doing nothing while Vader still did a few things, not all that much but he still did things including killing Jedi.

How much could Obi Wan have done in those 20 years, not even close to as much as Vader. He didn't recieve the extra training either and had to teach himself. I'm sure he learned a few things and he became slightly better then he was in ROTS. But I don't think he could have improved as much as Vader.

Now if he mastered his style he might have a chance but I don't think he has so my guess is actually that Vader will win.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 06:02 AM
Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

He'd mastered his style by ROTS.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 01:57 PM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote