KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Injustice--PIS/CIS?

Injustice--PIS/CIS?
Started by: leonidas

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Injustice--PIS/CIS?

so, i am utterly loving this series in every way imaginable. the moral dilemmas, the build up, the complex characterization, the use of characters in new and creative ways....

this is like civil war on HGH imo. one thing though that i keep coming back to in the series is this: how accurate, compared to the mainstream characters ARE these portrayals? how much PIS do you think is in injustice? there are several examples. one simple one to get things going focuses on sinestro (whom i think has been portrayed incredibly well btw--he's a COMPLETE bada$$ in the series, at LEAST as cool as his mainstream self.) there is a scene where despero is brought to earth by the core and sinestro uses him to further ingratiate himself to superman. in so doing, sinestro uses his ring and pretty effortlessly snaps despero's neck. could mainstream sinestro do that or would you consider this PIS? there are other instances that i'm hoping others will come up with to discuss.

again, i LOVE this series, but was curious about what others thought of the portrayal of some of the characters and the believability of what they have been doing.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 02:52 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I don't think the Parallax entity itself could kill the mainstream versions of Ganthet and Mogo at the same time... By pushing them into the sun.

Don't get me wrong, SC Supes owning Ganthet/Mogo so effortlessly was very telling of his power at the time, given how far beyond everyone/thing else they had been portrayed up to that point... But typically a Lantern's shielding>star-level heat. Imo, it would have made more sense for Supes to rip Ganthet in half, and bludgeon Mogo to pieces, than push them into a star, ftw!!11! But I digress. /shrug

...I suppose it's possible that Superman's amped fear-powa was somehow negating their GL abilities or w/e, but that detail was never stated on panel.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 04:47 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

laughing out loud

yeah, the star thing was a little odd, but i just assumed it was more the fear thing + the sun amp supes would have gotten that simply overwhelmed them. i mean mogo looked pretty dead to me BEFORE he was completely swallowed by the sun, and i just assumed the same about ganthet. there was also the mention of supes being amped by BILLIONS of beings and their fear on top of his sun amp, but i get what you're saying--smashing both to bits would have been more effective imo too.

i thought ganthet was pretty awesome actually. when he shh'd cap marvel that was pretty cool.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 05:33 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

i can't wait to see what constantine has in store for supes in year 3. seems like supes somehow has the spectre in his corner. should be interesting to see how it all pans out....

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 06:41 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yeah, Supes appears to have made an enemy of John Constantine... And that has never worked out well for anyone.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2014 08:36 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

it was nice to see injustice etrigan get some love. laughing out loud he was a beast. GREAT plan by bruce, john and etrigan to finally get to superman. loved it. spectre has been quite the bada$$. i wonder what his little secret is.... it was cool seeing him deal with phantom stranger. gotta believe he can wake supes up. still loving the series. i find myself wondering if superman will ever find some sort of redemption in this series...

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2014 02:59 PM
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Etrigan is the baddest motha****a Evah...!!!!!!!

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2014 03:47 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

laughing out loud thumb up

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2014 04:12 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

For lack of a better place to post this...

Civil War had some nuance. But it fell victim to many of the same things Injustice is. A year ago, people were legitimately asking if Superman was right in Injustice. But comic stories need a clear right and wrong, so they're making it impossible to agree with him. The same way they did with Tony in Civil War, whose initial position was much more reasonable before they forced him into an obvious heel turn.

I get that it's battle feat heaven. But it feels written by a fan fic writer, and is nothing but an elaborate What If designed to placate fanboys on various sides.

Like Injustice, in Kingdom Come, the Joker kills Lois, and it causes repercussions. And it also causes legitimate moral ambiguities for Superman. It's even easier to empathize with Magog, whose stance is philosophically similar to Injustice Supes, but in execution much more defensible. By comparison, Injustice Supes is a boy on a temper tantrum, a wishy-washy mix of SBP and deeper characters that he can't begin to approach.

I caught up on Injustice recently, and I won't lie, it's a fun ride. Whatever vestiges of me that remain that geek out at alternate universes and badass feats are enjoying it. But it's not a great work of comics. I won't say that it could never be, because there are still ways they could explore some interesting issues in it. But it's far away enough from that right now that I don't hold much hope.

...apologies for the off-topic semi-rant.

Last edited by Digi on Dec 24th, 2014 at 03:42 PM

Old Post Dec 24th, 2014 03:36 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

a great work of comics? well, that's sort of tough to define. by my own definition though 'greatness' includes a great desire to read the next issue, a thorough enjoyment of the story, and an ability to relate to the characters. the series works for me on all levels completely, except the last. it started off great, but i agree, the lines that were blurry, have crystalized more than i would have liked. it's not superman though that i have the issue with, it's the others who are following him. i love the series in general though and can maybe see some cracks forming in some of his alliances. but still, the others should certainly have questioned his actions for more stringently than they did. cap marvel will def break free of supes' control and i look forward to seeing him cut lose some. the series lost me a LITTLE when supes joined with sinestro--that was a little too much.

like i said though, i'm enjoying the series immensely and its the first book i read when it comes in. love the art as well. great comic? maybe not. it won't change the landscape i don't think--though it may advance the digital books some with its popularity--but just because it's not watchmen, doesn't mean it's not great in it own way imo.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2014 05:21 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by leonidas
a great work of comics? well, that's sort of tough to define. by my own definition though 'greatness' includes a great desire to read the next issue, a thorough enjoyment of the story, and an ability to relate to the characters. the series works for me on all levels completely, except the last. it started off great, but i agree, the lines that were blurry, have crystalized more than i would have liked. it's not superman though that i have the issue with, it's the others who are following him. i love the series in general though and can maybe see some cracks forming in some of his alliances. but still, the others should certainly have questioned his actions for more stringently than they did. cap marvel will def break free of supes' control and i look forward to seeing him cut lose some. the series lost me a LITTLE when supes joined with sinestro--that was a little too much.

like i said though, i'm enjoying the series immensely and its the first book i read when it comes in. love the art as well. great comic? maybe not. it won't change the landscape i don't think--though it may advance the digital books some with its popularity--but just because it's not watchmen, doesn't mean it's not great in it own way imo.

I didn't mean to segue into a discussion on greatness. Your points are well made, though. Suffice it to say, I'm not as high on Injustice as some. It's a rush to see the new scans each week in the Ownage thread. But those are snippets. I just can't say the same for the overarching comic. I may continue following it, though; haven't decided.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2014 11:43 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Alright, perhaps I was a bit harsh. It's a very quick comic to get through, and on a re-reading, I see some of leo's points, even it does pander to feat whores a bit too often. I'll be following it.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2014 01:25 AM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

It's very predictable though, I've come into terms with John dying at the end of this 'year'.

Everyone opposing Superman in this book is going to end in bad shape. That would also explain why he isn't in the game. Which sucks.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Dec 28th, 2014 02:22 AM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Reflassshh
It's very predictable though, I've come into terms with John dying at the end of this 'year'.

Everyone opposing Superman in this book is going to end in bad shape. That would also explain why he isn't in the game. Which sucks.

The game does telegraph certain spoilers. I'm not certain about John, though. DC loves him at the moment. Though I'm probably about to be smacked down for implying that anyone's aura of invincibility can approach Superman's.

Though there's at least one other death that we can reasonably know based on the game. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Cpt. Marvel. And likely others I'm forgetting.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2014 02:52 AM
krisblaze

I feel like everybody's slighty off, a mild perversion of every known character.

Much like if Ennis was to write a DC title smile

As far as PIS goes, it's obviously a case of everything being lethal to everybody. You just need to catch someone off-guard and they're dead. Which is what often happens in comics like these where "everybody can die".

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Dec 28th, 2014 04:39 AM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by Reflassshh

really? i'm not so sure about that. superman will need a challenge as this thing goes on, and john has been his biggest one yet. some superman's cronies will need to be turned for things to continue though, or there will need to be more characters introduced. i wonder if this will go in a similar path as the game--namely by ultimately bringing in the dcu characters to try and take him down. that of course would make the book canon, which would be awesome imo.

i'm still loving the book and looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2014 02:51 PM
Bentley
Seitei

I agree with Digi when he said Injustice is overrated sh_t.

I might not hate the series as much as Digi does, but he's more eloquent about it thumb up

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Dec 28th, 2014 04:48 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Bentley
I agree with Digi when he said Injustice is overrated sh_t.

I might not hate the series as much as Digi does, but he's more eloquent about it thumb up

Ha. Well...yeah. I mean, I'm not retracting the bad stuff I said about it. But it's hard to deny that's it's a guilty pleasure in many ways. Many books aren't even that.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2014 04:18 AM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

i loved the latest--very cool seeing what his daughter could have been like. i wonder how he'll react to this when he wakes up, whether he'll be conflicted (the discussion he had with lara in space may cause some doubt maybe....) or not by what he is seeing. i also liked how kal assumed the kingdom come style of the 's' as well. i wonder what it will be that gives the illusion away? regardless, i thought the 'what if' look was pretty cool and well done--a nice break in the story effectively showing the opposite end of the injustice spectrum.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2015 03:56 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Year Four dropped today. thumb up

Old Post May 5th, 2015 05:06 PM