KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » VHS v. DVDs v. BluRays

VHS v. DVDs v. BluRays
Started by: CouchTomato86

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
CouchTomato86

Smile VHS v. DVDs v. BluRays

In high school, my sis and I replaced our VHS collection with DVDs. I'm always concerned about being up to date. My DVD collection was/is huge and I only buy BluRays now. I only went back and purchased a couple of repeat movies on Blu Ray that I already own on DVD.

This territory seems strangely familiar. I get all my favorite movies linked to a device (VCR, DVD player, PS3+BluRay players) only to have another breakthrough in technology empty my pockets after it runs out of style.

I'm a huge Netflix fan, and my family and I average 2-3 DVDs a week and 2 streaming titles/person (5 family household). Streaming is the future, my question is how close before it makes BluRays irrelevant. I'm thinking about holding off on a couple of purchases.

Your thoughts?

Old Post Jan 5th, 2015 05:26 PM
CouchTomato86 is currently offline Click here to Send CouchTomato86 a Private Message Find more posts by CouchTomato86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
walshy
Veteran. Wrestler. Hero

I think it already is irrelevant. Sometimes I will still watch old VHS tapes and DVD's though, maybe because it reminds me of my childhood or a simpler time or something.

the real question is, what will make streaming irrelevant?

Old Post Jan 18th, 2015 01:35 AM
walshy is currently offline Click here to Send walshy a Private Message Find more posts by walshy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Re: VHS v. DVDs v. BluRays

quote: (post)
Originally posted by CouchTomato86

I'm a huge Netflix fan, and my family and I average 2-3 DVDs a week and 2 streaming titles/person (5 family household). Streaming is the future, my question is how close before it makes BluRays irrelevant. I'm thinking about holding off on a couple of purchases.

Your thoughts?

Streaming is unlikely to make physical storage irrelevant due to bandwidth limits and such. BluRay will remain a better place for extras and such as well.

Btw, I still use DVD a lot because, well, lots of stuff is still being released just on DVD. Not big movies, but plenty of TV shows for example, and independent productions can handle DVD well nowadays.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2015 10:03 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I still prefer blu-Ray to downloads or streaming.
I'm a big fan of the bonus features like making of, alternate or deleted scenes & bloopers.
Many people miss the point of a lot of movies or claim lousy storylines when they don't realise they've watched a modified version.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2015 11:30 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Bluray. How is there even a comparison ?

Old Post Jul 15th, 2015 02:16 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shinobi Popcorn

Out of the three, I'd say DVD is my favorite. I like being able to jump to a scene, and I can play it on the most equipment.

But after that I would pick VHS for the nostalgia factor. I grew up with SP and SLP, counters, and tracking.

I like blu-ray for HD, but I prefer only to watch newer things on the media. For example, The Muppets and Muppets Most Wanted look great on blu-ray. But I prefer The Muppet Movie on DVD because it softens the picture.

But I've never harmed an onion, so why do they make me cry?

Old Post Jul 17th, 2015 02:13 AM
Shinobi Popcorn is currently offline Click here to Send Shinobi Popcorn a Private Message Find more posts by Shinobi Popcorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

Blu-rays by far are my favorites.

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2015 07:44 PM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Poor old laser-disc...Ignored again.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2015 04:26 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

No one cares about laser discs, they were ****ing huge.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jul 30th, 2015 11:28 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

DVDs for me.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2015 01:24 AM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BeyonderGod

BluRays=DVDs>VHS

Old Post Sep 21st, 2015 02:47 AM
BeyonderGod is currently offline Click here to Send BeyonderGod a Private Message Find more posts by BeyonderGod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

quote:
Originally posted by walshy
I think it already is irrelevant. Sometimes I will still watch old VHS tapes and DVD's though, maybe because it reminds me of my childhood or a simpler time or something.
Good for you!

I love VHS..... VHS is analog... Its natural and to me is beautiful smile

I try to get as many movies as i love in thier original analog formats as thats how I remember seeing them in the 80s and its how I love them! (Thier original formats)

Analogue is beautiful smile

Old Post Oct 21st, 2015 06:59 AM
Dude111 is currently offline Click here to Send Dude111 a Private Message Find more posts by Dude111 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Simong

I think there will always be collectors who like physical media over streaming. I prefer to hold something in my hand but I understand the convenience of streaming. I think Streaming will continue to grow but hopefully physical media remain around for a long while yet.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2017 03:00 PM
Simong is currently offline Click here to Send Simong a Private Message Find more posts by Simong Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote