KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Smallville Forum » The Limit of Clark's Powers

The Limit of Clark's Powers
Started by: crazylozer

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kal-El_08
Restricted

Account Restricted

The difference is that each version is different(as well as the powers)and the storylines are somewhat different too.

"It wasn't even about the eggs. Quite frankly I like the eggs, I don't have no...problem with...It's just there's always been a lot of tension between me & Lois. It's not so much as I want to kill her...I just want her...to not be...alive anymore. I sometimes wonder if all women are this difficult. Then I think to myself, wouldn't it be MARVELOUS if I turned out to be a homosexual?"

Old Post Nov 13th, 2005 07:03 PM
Kal-El_08 is currently offline Click here to Send Kal-El_08 a Private Message Find more posts by Kal-El_08 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
crazylozer
n00b boy

Brief history lesson: At the beginning of the Superman comics, the limited imagination of the people of the time severly limited his powers. As time went on, he became more and more powerful, eventually becoming nearly omnipotent with all those powers aforementioned. That period of time is now known as pre-crisis. In the 1980's, there was a mini-series called Crisis on Infinite Earths, which is the turning point of the series. All comics after that are known as post-crisis. After that point, Superman was depowered, but again, over time became incredibly powerful.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2005 07:45 PM
crazylozer is currently offline Click here to Send crazylozer a Private Message Find more posts by crazylozer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ZephroCarnelian

Exactly. smile

Superman before The Crisis On Infinite Earths series (1985) was massively powerful, capable of travelling through time and dimensions, with strength to kick planets across the universe and tear apart the fabric of space with his bare hands.

Superman nowadays is not capable of the same logic-defying feats.

It's not yet clear, whether Clark in Smallville is going to end up with Pre-Crisis powers, or post-crisis.

So far, there's been a great focus in Smallville about the effect that KNite has on him - it's usually the only way that Superman got beaten in the old days. Whereas current Supes can be beaten by physical means.

I personally think that Clark in Smallville is going to grow into the original, unstoppable iconic hero that Superman used to be. smile

The REAL Men on KMC - Whirly, Juntai, Darkcrawler, Avalon...

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 12:36 PM
ZephroCarnelian is currently offline Click here to Send ZephroCarnelian a Private Message Find more posts by ZephroCarnelian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
crazylozer
n00b boy

I hate being a science geek.

So here's a hypothetical question: since Supes gets his super powers from the yellow sun, what would powers (if any) would he gain if he went near a higher level star (white or blue), and went onto a lower-gravity planet?

Old Post Nov 15th, 2005 01:45 AM
crazylozer is currently offline Click here to Send crazylozer a Private Message Find more posts by crazylozer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kal-El_08
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't think that has ever been established but it could give him higher powers or very well take away his powers.

"It wasn't even about the eggs. Quite frankly I like the eggs, I don't have no...problem with...It's just there's always been a lot of tension between me & Lois. It's not so much as I want to kill her...I just want her...to not be...alive anymore. I sometimes wonder if all women are this difficult. Then I think to myself, wouldn't it be MARVELOUS if I turned out to be a homosexual?"

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 09:28 PM
Kal-El_08 is currently offline Click here to Send Kal-El_08 a Private Message Find more posts by Kal-El_08 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dan-El
The Emerald Archer

He could become an omnipotent being outside of this dimension, able to mold the universe to his will. Though God would be pretty pissed, lol.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2005 03:06 PM
Dan-El is currently offline Click here to Send Dan-El a Private Message Find more posts by Dan-El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ZephroCarnelian

Nope - in the old comics, it's clear that Supes is one of God's 'chosen' heroes. smile

And the effect of a star on his powers depends on how much life the star has left.

Our sun is in the prime of it's life and gives him great power.

A red star, which is older, has used up whatever radiation it used to emit that gives Supes his powers.

Thus, under a red star, he has no power.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2005 05:52 PM
ZephroCarnelian is currently offline Click here to Send ZephroCarnelian a Private Message Find more posts by ZephroCarnelian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Gotcha. So Pre-Crisis was like, ultra-god Superman, and post-crisis was like, weaker-yet-more-understandable-and-cooler Superman.

What happened on Crisis on Infinite Earths?

(This is becoming a q & a thread. stick out tongue)

Old Post Nov 19th, 2005 08:51 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
crazylozer
n00b boy

Crisis on Infinte Earths was created basically to allow DC to recreate the majority of their comic franchise. So in the mini-series, a character named the Monitor gathered all the heroes of all the universes in order to stop his counterpart, Anti-monitor, from destroying all time and space. They won, but the Monitor was killed, and the death of Anti-monitor caused the five DC universes (which the comics focused on before the series) to be merged together, combining aspects of all.

Thus, the new universe allowed DC to update their characters to be more plausible, e.g. Superman.

Old Post Nov 20th, 2005 04:03 AM
Dan-El
The Emerald Archer

Is a white or blue star in the prime of its life? I'm not too knowledable on the subject. I'm actually pretty new to the Superman universe as a whole. I kind of thought he was a pussy till I watched Smallville, then I read Superman: Birthright and Superman: Secret Identity. They kind of changed my perspective when it comes to Big Blue.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2005 02:54 AM
Dan-El is currently offline Click here to Send Dan-El a Private Message Find more posts by Dan-El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
crazylozer
n00b boy

A blue or white star are different types of stars. Our sun is a yellow star, that doesn't neccessarily tell you how old it is. It's sort of like the colour spectrum: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet. The higher left it is, the hotter the star is.

Oh, and second part of the question: if Clark gets power from radiation, if he gets caught in a supernova (the explosion of a star), what kind of powers would he get? Come on, be creative! Use your imagination!

Old Post Nov 21st, 2005 03:31 AM
ZephroCarnelian

He doesn't lol - he dies, cos supernovas contain the radiation that redsunlight gives out, lol.

I've got an issue where he has to fly into a supernova wearing armour to protect him from the radiation.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2005 01:43 PM
Kal-El_08
Restricted

Account Restricted

I thought he could perform Supernova without any suits?

Old Post Nov 24th, 2005 02:55 AM