KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » is luthor the WORST arch-enemy ever?

is luthor the WORST arch-enemy ever?
Started by: leonidas

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

is luthor the WORST arch-enemy ever?

hey gang,

ya kow, i can't help myself. when i think superman, i think lex luthor. but a case could certainly be made that luthor is nowhere near superman's arch-enemy. darkseid, maybe? doomsday?

so i want to hear some thoughts on luthor as a character. did you like him better when he wore the armor and was an actual physical match for superman? is he lame because he always requires a plot device to win? because all superman needs to do is breathe on him to kill him? does anyone actually LIKE luthor, or view him as a real threat?

let's talk lex! big grin

Old Post Dec 18th, 2005 11:45 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Piedmon
Saiyajin Quaterback

Luthor is a GREAT archnemesis. Actually, in a way, he really sets the standard for all arch-rival villains everywhere. Because he is Superman's thematic, character, and power opposite.

Symbollically speaking, Superman is a heavenly being or a sort of archangel. He came to us from above, protects us from on high, and stands for an ideal of righteousness that humans have to fight every day of their life to attain.

Luthor, on the other hand, is symbollically the best and worst of humanity rolled into one person. He's ingenious, ambitious, clever, and bold. He's also proud and vain, greedy and totally amoral. He stands, in a lot of ways, for the modern Übermensche of Nietzche's writings. And he is the ultimate iconoclast--unable to stand the thought that there should be anything in the universe more powerful, or more admired than HIM.

That's why they're the perfect pair of rivals in my opinion.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2005 11:51 PM
Piedmon is currently offline Click here to Send Piedmon a Private Message Find more posts by Piedmon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Piedmon
Luthor is a GREAT archnemesis. Actually, in a way, he really sets the standard for all arch-rival villains everywhere. Because he is Superman's thematic, character, and power opposite.

Symbollically speaking, Superman is a heavenly being or a sort of archangel. He came to us from above, protects us from on high, and stands for an ideal of righteousness that humans have to fight every day of their life to attain.

Luthor, on the other hand, is symbollically the best and worst of humanity rolled into one person. He's ingenious, ambitious, clever, and bold. He's also proud and vain, greedy and totally amoral. He stands, in a lot of ways, for the modern Übermensche of Nietzche's writings. And he is the ultimate iconoclast--unable to stand the thought that there should be anything in the universe more powerful, or more admired than HIM.

a truly EXCELLENT post, my friend. one of the best i've read on this site. for the record, i agree -- i actually like luthor as well . . .

very well said. wink

Old Post Dec 18th, 2005 11:57 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Wow. You come up with that yourself Pied? Either way, Helluva post.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 01:49 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

WRONG!

evil face

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 01:53 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

who invited you? stick out tongue

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 02:02 AM
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

evil face
I go where the wind blows.

Zod is the best arch enemy of Superman.

I was RIGHT! evil face

Supa-Mayne!

Last edited by long pig on Dec 19th, 2005 at 02:06 AM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 02:04 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

zod is a good one, and an oldy too. why don't we ever see so much of the other 2?

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 02:05 AM
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm not very sure. Probably because of how powerful Zod was, and the fact he could actually beat Superman......

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 02:07 AM
HaSon

Eh. Superman beat Zod's ass last time they fought.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 02:35 AM
HaSon is currently offline Click here to Send HaSon a Private Message Find more posts by HaSon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
joesha28
Asgard's Advocate

Worst? I thot he's the baldiest of arch-enemies...

Fear the baldy!!

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 03:11 AM
joesha28 is currently offline Click here to Send joesha28 a Private Message Find more posts by joesha28 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I understand the opposites idea about Luthor, and as a kid I always accepted it, I suppose. But it's always kind of irksome to see a being with herald-level power having to spend time matching wits with an ordianry human. Darkseid, at his best, is always the character I like to see him against.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 05:01 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
K Von Doom
Second fiddle

it proves that brawn always beats brains

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 11:09 PM
K Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send K Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by K Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Superherovandal
CEO of BS Comics Inc.

yeah if they actually took Darkseid seriously he would be the best arch-enemy for Supes ever. He's got the brains, power, resources, and pure-evil

I am creator of all the master of all things BS. Bow before my mighty form!

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 12:34 AM
Superherovandal is currently offline Click here to Send Superherovandal a Private Message Find more posts by Superherovandal Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NoFate007

What he said.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 12:40 AM
NoFate007 is currently offline Click here to Send NoFate007 a Private Message Find more posts by NoFate007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

though i like lex, i can't help but think that he has not been used to his fullest. how long has it been since anyone's read a great luthor/superman arc where lex posed a clear threat to superman?

anyone?

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 02:24 AM
HaSon

Originally posted by leonidas
though i like lex, i can't help but think that he has not been used to his fullest. how long has it been since anyone's read a great luthor/superman arc where lex posed a clear threat to superman?

anyone?

Infinite Crisis #3 wink

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 02:34 AM
HaSon is currently offline Click here to Send HaSon a Private Message Find more posts by HaSon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

ahhhh . . . that is waiting for me in a box at my local comic shop! i hope you're right. it would be good to see lex in some real action. last time i think i read a good luthor arc was the ww3 arc in jla, but he was basically a monkey for meggadon most of that series. (though early on in that arc he WAS shown to be an ultimate mastermind . . .)

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 02:37 AM
HaSon

It's a great issue. Double the Luthor's = Double the fun! eek!

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 02:38 AM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

heheh. can't wait . . .

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 03:00 AM