KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Roger Ebert: Idiot

Roger Ebert: Idiot
Started by: Grimm22

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Grimm22
King of the Castle

Miffed Roger Ebert: Idiot

I used to have a certian amount of respect for Roger Ebert. Although I disagree with lot of his reviews, I suddenly feel that he may be one of the worst movie crtiics ever, after seeing.......

THIS!
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps...S/60606005/1023

Old Post Jul 21st, 2006 03:48 AM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rapscallion

have you seen it?

Old Post Jul 21st, 2006 04:36 AM
Rapscallion is currently offline Click here to Send Rapscallion a Private Message Find more posts by Rapscallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu
Exit Prophet Enter Praylu

Re: Roger Ebert: Idiot

Finally...I thought I was the only one, his reviews are becoming irrational and senseless. Roeper's walking along the same line as well.

I believe this individual wrapped it for me rather nicely:

Ebert and Roeper Shouldn't be Allowed to Rate Comic Book Movies Anymore

I'm used to Roeper showcasing his complete lack of knowledge and smarmy ignorance. Why, I recall him scoffing at the Fast and the Furious because they had those wacky nitrous oxide buttons on their cars, as if said technology doesn't exist. I remember him saying this on the Tonight Show, where Jay Leno informed him he owned three cars that possess that very feature.

However, I am NOT used to Ebert matching Roeper comment for comment in a stupefying Idiot Battle. Every dumbass comment that Roper made, Ebert would beat it with one of his own. I think maybe the diet he's on has sucked vital matter from his brain. Let's take a look at some of the reasons they disliked the Fantastic 4 movie.

"The Thing is too similar to the Hulk."

Well, both are big and strong and misunderstood, I'll grant that. But the Thing retains his intelligence and is a lovable, blue-collar type of hero, where the Hulk gets angry and smashes things until he gets sad or tired, presumably because whenever he looks down he realizes that Bruce Banner has been dressing him in purple pants. Their powers are similar but their characters are very different. Making this comparison is about as fair as saying Wonder Woman is too much like Superman.

"The Human Torch is like the Flash."

...Uh...what?? The Human Torch lights on fire, flies, and burns things. The Flash runs really, really fast. I'm not an accredited movie critic - I'm just a simple caveman -- but I fail to see the connection in any way on this one.

"The Thing is not to be confused with Swamp Thing; he's kind of like a dry, weathered Swamp Thing."

First, how the hell do you even know who Swamp Thing is, fatboy? Second, the Swamp Thing is a talking plant. You would be more likely to confuse Swamp Thing with Treebeard, for God's sake. Just because the word "thing" is in their names doesn't make them blood brothers.

"The Invisible Woman is sort of like Storm from the X-Men."

Oh sweet ****ing ****. Are you autistic?? Just because the Invisible Woman's given name is Susan Storm does NOT negate the fact that she is a white woman who can make invisible force fields and Storm is a claustrophobic black woman who controls the weather. Invisible kracka = claustrophobe darky? No. Does not compute.

"Mr. Fantastic is kind of like The Incredibles."

I'm sure what you meant to say, Roger I-get-paid-to-spout-nonsensical-tripe-on-tha-teevee Ebert, is that Mr. Fantastic is similar to Elastigirl from The Incredibles. Okay, that's very true in terms of their powers. But let's not forget that the Fantastic 4 was created in 1961, and that The Incredibles are either an homage or a ripoff of the FF comic book, depending on how you look at it.

Roeper: "Dr. Doom is kind of like the second cousin of the Silver Surfer."

What the f*ck is wrong with you?? DUURRRRR!!

http://ubersite.com/m/70838

SPIDER-MAN 3 DIRECTOR'S CUT PETITION HERE

Old Post Jul 21st, 2006 04:42 AM
Praylu is currently offline Click here to Send Praylu a Private Message Find more posts by Praylu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rapscallion

can someone really be an idiot because of their opinions?? (with the exception of racism adn stuff)

Old Post Jul 21st, 2006 04:47 AM
Rapscallion is currently offline Click here to Send Rapscallion a Private Message Find more posts by Rapscallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rapscallion
can someone really be an idiot because of their opinions??

I didn't say Ebert was, but if the shoe fits...

Point is he's suppose to be a world-renowned critic who has been reviewing films for the past 40 years, with that said he should know better than to say these foolish things (Roeper as well).

Old Post Jul 21st, 2006 05:00 AM
Praylu is currently offline Click here to Send Praylu a Private Message Find more posts by Praylu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

can someone really be an idiot because of their opinions?? (with the exception of racism adn stuff)

Yes, they can, if their opinion is based on untrue material.

Example, if I were to say that I didn't like Ferris Bueller's Day Off because there aren't enough explosions, I would be an idiot.

If I were to say that I hated FF because the Human Torch said, "Flame on" too many times, I would be an idiot, as he only said it once.

And that review is stupid. Is he so bored of reviewing movies that he has to speak as a character in the movie now?

Old Post Jul 21st, 2006 05:12 AM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu

Originally posted by Wolfie

Example, if I were to say that I didn't like Ferris Bueller's Day Off because there aren't enough explosions, I would be an idiot.

If I were to say that I hated FF because the Human Torch said, "Flame on" too many times, I would be an idiot, as he only said it once.

And that review is stupid. Is he so bored of reviewing movies that he has to speak as a character in the movie now?

Exactly, well said Wolfie. smile

There's really no excuse for Ebert & Roeper.

Ebert: "Spidey soars too quickly through the skies of Manhattan."

"Spidey swoops from great heights to street level and soars back up among the skyscrapers again with such dizzying speed that it seems less like a stunt than like a fast-forward version of a stunt."

Apparently he forgets Spider-Man can swing up to 100 MPH. wink

Critics are going mad these days, we all heard what Siegel did during the showing of Clerks 2 where he cursed & screamed then left half showing and now Ebert is speaking as Garfield. confused

Old Post Jul 21st, 2006 05:27 AM
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

Yes. It is time for a new age of movie critics.

THE KMC FORUMS MEMBERS!

stick out tongue

Old Post Jul 21st, 2006 05:44 AM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu

Viva la Revolucion! stick out tongue

Hey at least our reviews would actually make sense and we wouldn't speak through characters from comic strips.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2006 05:50 AM
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

Yeah, I totally agree, plus Ebert gave Superman a shit review.

When TIME, Newsweek, MSN.com, Rolling Stone, Larry King, etc.. all said it was a great movie.

Time for the old fart to kick the bucket and let go.

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Jul 21st, 2006 08:53 PM
sithsaber408 is currently offline Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rade
Movie Master

I cant stand Ebert or any movie critic, they think they are the smartest in the world. They are so arrogent and Ebert reminds me of Jim Ross of the WWE which makes it worse.

Ebert: (please log in to view the image)

Ross:(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by Rade on Jul 21st, 2006 at 09:00 PM

Old Post Jul 21st, 2006 08:57 PM
Rade is currently offline Click here to Send Rade a Private Message Find more posts by Rade Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Yes.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2006 08:58 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

Originally posted by sithsaber408
Yeah, I totally agree, plus Ebert gave Superman a shit review.

Was it a shit review or did you just disagree with it?

There's a difference between a bad review and one you just don't agree with. I read a review of Saw in an Us Magazine (I believe it was Us, it was some girly mag). The critic gave it two stars and said it was bad because it was too gory and gross. That is a bad review. A review of Garfield 2 that speaks in the first person of Garfield is a bad review. A review of Superman that says his acting is unconvincing is a good review, though you may not agree with it.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2006 10:16 PM
Rapscallion

i see your point

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2006 03:19 AM
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

Originally posted by TheFilmProphet
Exactly, well said Wolfie. smile

There's really no excuse for Ebert & Roeper.

Ebert: "Spidey soars too quickly through the skies of Manhattan."

"Spidey swoops from great heights to street level and soars back up among the skyscrapers again with such dizzying speed that it seems less like a stunt than like a fast-forward version of a stunt."

Apparently he forgets Spider-Man can swing up to 100 MPH. wink

Critics are going mad these days, we all heard what Siegel did during the showing of Clerks 2 where he cursed & screamed then left half showing and now Ebert is speaking as Garfield. confused

what happened at the showing of Clerks 2?

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2006 03:25 AM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

I do think Ebert has been slipping for a while but its his opinion and he is usually right. I still check his updates every week or before I go to see a movie. I dont agree with some of his reviews but I dont think he is an idiot.

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2006 03:26 AM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu

Was it a shit review or did you just disagree with it?

There's a difference between a bad review and one you just don't agree with. I read a review of Saw in an Us Magazine (I believe it was Us, it was some girly mag). The critic gave it two stars and said it was bad because it was too gory and gross. That is a bad review. A review of Garfield 2 that speaks in the first person of Garfield is a bad review. A review of Superman that says his acting is unconvincing is a good review, though you may not agree with it.

I won't say, but let's just judge for ourselves here.

As for Superman, he's a one-trick pony. To paraphrase Archimedes: "Give me a lever and a place to stand, and I will move the universe." Superman doesn't need the lever or the place to stand, but as he positions himself in flight, straining to lift an airplane or a vast chunk or rock, we reflect that these activities aren't nearly as cinematic as what Batman and Spider-Man get up to. Watching Superman straining to hold a giant airliner, I'm wondering: Why does he strain? Does he have his limits? Would that new Airbus be too much for him? What about if he could stand somewhere?

Superman is vulnerable to one, and only one, substance: kryptonite. He knows this. We know this. Lex Luthor knows this. Yet he has been disabled by kryptonite in every one of the movies. Does he think Lex Luthor would pull another stunt without a supply on hand? Why doesn't he take the most elementary precautions? How can a middle-aged bald man stab the Man of Steel with kryptonite?

It would have been fun to give Superman a bright, sassy child, like one of the Spy Kids, and make him a part of the plot.

Originally posted by tabby999
what happened at the showing of Clerks 2?

I'll let you listen to what happened,
http://viewaskew.com/news/jul06/joel.mp3

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2006 04:01 AM
Grimm22
King of the Castle

Originally posted by TheFilmProphet
I won't say, but let's just judge for ourselves here.

As for Superman, he's a one-trick pony. To paraphrase Archimedes: "Give me a lever and a place to stand, and I will move the universe." Superman doesn't need the lever or the place to stand, but as he positions himself in flight, straining to lift an airplane or a vast chunk or rock, we reflect that these activities aren't nearly as cinematic as what Batman and Spider-Man get up to. Watching Superman straining to hold a giant airliner, I'm wondering: Why does he strain? Does he have his limits? Would that new Airbus be too much for him? What about if he could stand somewhere?

Superman is vulnerable to one, and only one, substance: kryptonite. He knows this. We know this. Lex Luthor knows this. Yet he has been disabled by kryptonite in every one of the movies. Does he think Lex Luthor would pull another stunt without a supply on hand? Why doesn't he take the most elementary precautions? How can a middle-aged bald man stab the Man of Steel with kryptonite?

It would have been fun to give Superman a bright, sassy child, like one of the Spy Kids, and make him a part of the plot.

Is Ebert saying that he thinks that the kid in Superman Returns should be the kid from Spy Kids?!?!

Heck the kid was bad enough!

Does Ebert know anything about Superman?!? In his own review he contradicts himself.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2006 04:44 AM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

Yeah. He was more criticizing the character of Superman rather than the movie itself.

It's difficult to review a movie if you don't like the source material. It's not the fault of anyone in the movie if Superman is a dumb idea.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2006 05:50 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I think he was criticizing the way Superman was portrayed in the film, not the actual character in the comic books. I think he is sorta of right.

My take is that an movie critic is to review movies, not source material. If he didnt like the movie because of the action scenes doesnt mean he's an idiot because he doesnt know Spider-Man's exact speed while flying the air. It means that the scene didnt work for him in the movie. And that's what his job is, to review the movie. Can you expect Ebert to know everything about anything when he reviews movies?
If

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2006 06:25 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote