KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Books about Music

Books about Music
Started by: tabby999

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

Books about Music

i know this should be in the book forum, but i figured more people would have read them here, but are the Motley Crue and Marilyn Manson biogs worth buying. i bought the slipknot "Behind the Masks, Underneath the Sickness" (or something to that effect) and it was pretty good (even though i lost it).

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Dec 18th, 2005 09:54 AM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Re: Books about Music

quote: (post)
Originally posted by tabby999
i know this should be in the book forum, but i figured more people would have read them here, but are the Motley Crue and Marilyn Manson biogs worth buying. i bought the slipknot "Behind the Masks, Underneath the Sickness" (or something to that effect) and it was pretty good (even though i lost it).

I've read-

Dave Thompson's (I think) biography of Kurt Cobain. That was ok I seem to recall, although it was about ten years ago.

Hammer of the Gods- pretty good read.

I read the new Jimi biography by Charles Cross- that's good.

I've also read a Zappa biography that wasn't bad if you like Zappa, but I don't recall the name or author (although I could find out).

I'm not a big biography reader though, so that's about it.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2005 06:16 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

yeah i read "Kurt Cobain" and "Come As You Are," both good books, but theres a million Nirvana biogs

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Dec 18th, 2005 09:23 PM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deathblow
-

I really liked ''Perfect Sound Forever'', the biography of Pavement.

Apparently their first drummer used to sit outside the venue before shows making cinnamon toast for the people waiting in line.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2005 09:50 PM
Deathblow is currently offline Click here to Send Deathblow a Private Message Find more posts by Deathblow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

haha, awsome. oh "Nobody Gets Out Of Here Alive" the Bio of Jim Morrison is pretty cool, such a...interesting person to say the least

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 09:12 PM
papabeard
tHe RiVeRmaN

I have read both Marylin Manson "The Cold Hard Road out of Hell"(sic) and The Dirt about Motley Crue. Both are amazing books, very funny, interesting and some of the stories are unbelievable.

Other great music books are :

Walk This Way (about Aerosmith)
Englands Dreaming by John Savage (about the british punk movement.)
Please Kill Me (about the US punk Movement)
Hammer of the Gods (about Led Zeppelin)
Freaky Dancing ( about Bez and the Happy Mondays)

and i would say Heavier than Heaven is the best book about Nirvana.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 01:12 PM
papabeard is currently offline Click here to Send papabeard a Private Message Find more posts by papabeard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

'Catch A Fire - The Life of Bob Marley' by Timothy White is an excellent in-depth history on Jamaican culture, the rise of Reggae and Rastafarianism. It also has some fascinating things to relate about the legend that is Bob.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2005 01:18 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote