KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Jack Johnson

Favorite Jack Johnson Album?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Bushfire Fairytales 1 14.29%
On And On 4 57.14%
In Between Dreams 2 28.57%
Total: 7 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jack Johnson
Started by: Ou Be Low hoo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Jack Johnson

You couldn't find a more chilled, mellow and smooth singer-songwriter if you stuck your finger in a pot of honey and smothered it all over a peeled orange. The guy is cool.

His tunes are perfect for the summer - especially BBQs or for chillin round a beach bonfire. Also, if you surf, his music is the perfect after-surf slow-down...

Anyways, I just got his new album, 'In Between Dreams' and after one listen I love it.

His style doesn't really change between albums, but that doesn't matter because what he does, he does well.

Favorite tunes? I've got a few...

Bushfire Campfires - Inaudible Melodies
On And On - Times Like These
In Between Dreams - Banana Pancakes

Also, 'If I Could' has some beautiful lyrics:

I heard some words
from a friend on the phone
that didnt sound so good
The doctor gave him two weeks to live
Id give him more if I could

Anyway, anyone else diggin it?

Ou, Ou, Ou is all you Need...

Old Post May 7th, 2005 05:20 AM
Ou Be Low hoo is currently offline Click here to Send Ou Be Low hoo a Private Message Find more posts by Ou Be Low hoo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

indeed, i voted for On And On, one of the best cds i've heard in a long time

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post May 8th, 2005 11:46 PM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

I hate him with a passion.....

Old Post May 9th, 2005 03:23 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
I hate him with a passion.....

Not angry and whiny enough for you?

Old Post May 9th, 2005 05:09 AM
Ou Be Low hoo is currently offline Click here to Send Ou Be Low hoo a Private Message Find more posts by Ou Be Low hoo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

No, just generally too crappy. Tpt (like myself) listens to plenty of music that isn't annoying teenage nu metal.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post May 9th, 2005 05:27 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Darth Revan
No, just generally too crappy. Tpt (like myself) listens to plenty of music that isn't annoying teenage nu metal.

...Said the 'Nine Inch Nails' fan.

Old Post May 9th, 2005 05:51 AM
koolruningz
2009 NBA CHAMPIONS

We can finaly agree on something Ou Be. big grin
I really like Jack, his music fits in with the New Zealand life style and on a hot summers day i usually play one of his albums as we drive down to the beach.

"The Capitol of this rugged slang is WU-TANG,
Witty Unpridictable Talent And Natural Game". GZA

Old Post May 9th, 2005 10:01 AM
koolruningz is currently offline Click here to Send koolruningz a Private Message Find more posts by koolruningz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

Originally posted by Ou Be Low hoo

Nine Inch Nails are hardly whiney teenage nu metal... Except for several songs on their last album. Have you ever listened to NIN?

Besides which, that's irrelevant, I listen to a huge variety of music. I could say the same about you—that the variety of music you probably like is void because of the fact that you're a Jay-Z fan.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post May 9th, 2005 03:40 PM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Df02

1 of his albums was on in the background when i was having sex with a girl who happened to be a fan of his... and oh dear god did it put me off... never lasted that long in my life, the album played thru twice

TotalFormat Forums
tomorrow is so far and I no longer want to find a replacement for all these pictures that are lost in my mind

Old Post May 9th, 2005 05:33 PM
Df02 is currently offline Click here to Send Df02 a Private Message Find more posts by Df02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
koolruningz
2009 NBA CHAMPIONS

^ You should probably purchase one of his albums for such encounters in the future, sounds like it has the same affect as cocaine. laughing

"The Capitol of this rugged slang is WU-TANG,
Witty Unpridictable Talent And Natural Game". GZA

Old Post May 9th, 2005 08:32 PM
koolruningz is currently offline Click here to Send koolruningz a Private Message Find more posts by koolruningz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Not angry and whiny enough for you?

No the lyrics are shallow and unamaginative and the guitar playing is mediocre at best,
the lack of style or anything that resembles talent is what puts me off.

O and don't make judgments simply because of our sigs. or whatever. I don't Listen to whiny music, my music is deep, intracite and intelligent.

Still don't belive me? Download a song Called "Trains" by Porcupine Tree, Like Jack johnson, but way better.

Old Post May 9th, 2005 08:34 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StinkFist462
Your Mom

what does NIN have anything to do with it ?

Old Post May 9th, 2005 08:59 PM
StinkFist462 is currently offline Click here to Send StinkFist462 a Private Message Find more posts by StinkFist462 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

No the lyrics are shallow and unamaginative and the guitar playing is mediocre at best,

O and don't make judgments simply because of our sigs. or whatever. I don't Listen to whiny music, my music is deep, intracite and intelligent.

Still don't belive me? Download a song Called "Trains" by Porcupine Tree, Like Jack johnson, but way better.

I disagree... The fact that "Trains" is acoustic doesn't make it like Jack Johnson stylistically. Though Porcupine Tree are by far one of the most talented bands of the past fifteen years.

Old Post May 9th, 2005 11:07 PM
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

I listen to a huge variety of music. I could say the same about you—that the variety of music you probably like is void because of the fact that you're a Jay-Z fan.

You could say that I listen to a 'huge variety of music' too? It's true, but you contradict yourself with your next statement...'Variety' relates to liking different things, therefore variety can not be 'void' as by it's very definition it is diverse! Thanks for the compliment...Sure, I play 'The Black Album from time to time, but I wouldn't call myself a 'Jay-Z fan.

Old Post May 10th, 2005 04:12 AM
Darth Revan
-

That's exactly my point. I was only pointing out what you were doing by claiming I must only listen to whiney/angry music based on the fact that I listen to NIN.

This is a little off-topic, but I seem to remember fairly clearly you coming into the music forum a month or so ago, talking in a barely coherent language about various rappers. One of whom was Jay-Z.

Old Post May 10th, 2005 04:31 AM
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

"And there has always been laughing, crying, birth, and dying
Boys and girls with hearts that take and give and break
And heal and grow and recreate and raise and nurture
But then hurt from time to time like these
And times like those
And what will be will be
And so it goes" - Times Like These

Simple, poetic lyrics are not shallow just because they are simple and poetic. Sometimes, the world is not as complicated as it appears to be. His lyrics reflect this ethos.

Intricate and fancy guitar-work does not impress me, but a good tune does. Part of his popularity is due to the fact that friends can recreate his tunes on their own guitars on a beach somewhere...Also, have you heard of a song called 'Redemption Song'? It's by a guy called Bob Marley and it's probably one of the greatest acoustic tunes of all time...the guitar playing is nothing special, just simple and a great tune.

His style is laid-back and chilled. His talent lies in his simple, poetic and heart-felt tunes that don't scream:

the hopes and prays
the better days
the far aways
forget it

and:

the clouds will part and the sky cracks open
and god himself will reach his ****ing arm
through
just to push you down
just to hold you down
stuck in this hole with the shit and the piss
and it's hard to believe it could come down to this
back at the beginning
sinking
spinning

^ Ooo, how nice!

As for you liking 'deep, intracite (intricate) and intelligent' music...Good for you! I too like intelligent music, but a good tune and some real feelings go a long way. Plus Jack Johnson is a surfer, so I naturally feel an affinity.

Old Post May 10th, 2005 04:38 AM
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

so I can't spell, sue me...
Ohh look I can quote Lyrics too!

Wear your grudge like a crown of negativity.
Calculate what we will or will not tolerate.
Desperate to control all and everything.
Unable to forgive your scarlet lettermen.

Clutch it like a cornerstone. Otherwise it all comes down.
Justify denials and grip it to the lonesome end.
Terrified of being wrong. Ultimatum prison cell.

Saturn ascends, choose one or ten. Hang on or be humbled again.

Justify denials and grip it to the lonesome end.
Saturn ascends, comes round again.
Saturn ascends, the one, the ten. Ignorant to the damage done.

Wear your grudge like a crown of negativity.
Calculate what you will or will not tolerate.
Desperate to control all and everything.
Unable to forgive your scarlet lettermen.

Wear the grudge like a crown. Desperate to control.
Unable to forgive. And we're sinking deeper.

Defining, confining, sinking deeper. Controlling, defining, and we're sinking deeper.

Saturn comes back around to show you everything
Let's you choose what you will not see and then
Drags you down like a stone or lifts you up again
Spits you out like a child, light and innocent.

Saturn comes back around. Lifts you up like a child or
Drags you down like a stone to
Consume you till you choose to let this go.
Choose to let this go.

Give away the stone. Let the oceans take and transmutate this cold and fated anchor.
Give away the stone. Let the waters kiss and transmutate these leaden grudges into gold.

Let go.

oh boy!
Simplicity is boring, I want something I can't replicate easily. That lends to respect and a much more deeper understanding of the music and what kinda effort went into it. I don't wanna listen to some guy who got stoned and ****ed around on the guitar. I wanna listen to someone who put real effort into his music.

DR: the first thing that struck me when I heard trains was that it was like Jack Johnson but better, now I can tell that its buch different, in different content and stylistic, but it would not be a reach to say someone who likes Jack Johnson, would like that, and hopefully use it to branch off into better music.

Old Post May 10th, 2005 04:59 AM
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's exactly my point. I was only pointing out what you were doing by claiming I must only listen to whiney/angry music based on the fact that I listen to NIN.

It was a little dig. I find NIN dull and 'crappy', so I was merely mirroring your response.

quote:
This is a little off-topic, but I seem to remember fairly clearly you coming into the music forum a month or so ago, talking in a barely coherent language about various rappers. One of whom was Jay-Z.

Yo, G...Dat kat was dis kat, yo. I like feelin' shit and expressamekatin myself in many mofo ways...If I find maself listen-up to all kinds of hip-hop shit all day long, I start going a little mental, yo. Is all. Peas.

Old Post May 10th, 2005 05:12 AM
Darth Revan
-

"And there has always been laughing, crying, birth, and dying
Boys and girls with hearts that take and give and break
And heal and grow and recreate and raise and nurture
But then hurt from time to time like these
And times like those
And what will be will be
And so it goes" - Times Like These

Simple, poetic lyrics are not shallow just because they are simple and poetic. Sometimes, the world is not as complicated as it appears to be. His lyrics reflect this ethos.

Intricate and fancy guitar-work does not impress me, but a good tune does. Part of his popularity is due to the fact that friends can recreate his tunes on their own guitars on a beach somewhere...Also, have you heard of a song called 'Redemption Song'? It's by a guy called Bob Marley and it's probably one of the greatest acoustic tunes of all time...the guitar playing is nothing special, just simple and a great tune.

His style is laid-back and chilled. His talent lies in his simple, poetic and heart-felt tunes that don't scream:

the hopes and prays
the better days
the far aways
forget it

and:

the clouds will part and the sky cracks open
and god himself will reach his ****ing arm
through
just to push you down
just to hold you down
stuck in this hole with the shit and the piss
and it's hard to believe it could come down to this
back at the beginning
sinking
spinning

^ Ooo, how nice!

As for you liking 'deep, intracite (intricate) and intelligent' music...Good for you! I too like intelligent music, but a good tune and some real feelings go a long way. Plus Jack Johnson is a surfer, so I naturally feel an affinity.

For Christ sake, you'd think a so-called philosopher could pull a better post out of his ass. To start with, how do you even know that Tpt IS a NIN fan from this thread? roll eyes (sarcastic) I'm the one with Trent Reznor in my avatar.

Second, I love how you obviously took the most angry sounding verse from a song I'm sure you've never heard, and completely failed at a non existant attempt to understand the actual message. Use of the "f word" does not render lyrics unintelligible or stupid.

Third, nobody is claiming Trent Reznor is a great lyricist. He's slightly above average at best. Hell, YOU'RE the one who brought this up in the first place, like I said, without prior knowledge of Tpt even being a fan of his.

There's simple music and then there's boring music. Our friend Jack Johnson is of the latter variety.

Old Post May 10th, 2005 05:14 AM
Darth Revan
-

It was a little dig. I find NIN dull and 'crappy', so I was merely mirroring your response.

Yo, G...Dat kat was dis kat, yo. I like feelin' shit and expressamekatin myself in many mofo ways...If I find maself listen-up to all kinds of hip-hop shit all day long, I start going a little mental, yo. Is all. Peas.

As for the first part... If we're going to split hairs here, I'll point out that the purpose of my original post was in defense of Tpt's musical taste. My second post in response to one of yours stated, in short, that you can't judge a person's entire range of said taste based on one band. A concept which you cleverly "discovered" in what you seemed to have thought was a comeback to my post, when it was merely restating what I'd said.

Second part: Yeah, you just keep doing that... confused

Old Post May 10th, 2005 05:19 AM