KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » British historian sentenced to 3 years for denying Holocaust

British historian sentenced to 3 years for denying Holocaust
Started by: Sir Whirlysplat

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

British historian sentenced to 3 years for denying Holocaust

British historian David Irving was sentenced in Austria to three years in prison after pleading guilty on Monday to charges of denying the Holocaust, saying he erred in contending there were no Nazi gas chambers during the Second World War.

Irving could have received a 10-year prison term. Under Austrian law, it is a crime to publicly diminish, deny or justify the Holocaust.

http://www.cbc.ca/storyview/MSN/wor...aust060220.html

Some things still just can't be justified, thats the nice thing about European law!

Attachment: irving_david_cp_9541843.jpg
This has been downloaded 106 time(s).

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Last edited by Sir Whirlysplat on Feb 21st, 2006 at 11:56 AM

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 11:53 AM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

There'S nothing nice about this. It is sad actually. Certainly the Historian is wrong, but I think he has the right to deny it if he wants, he shouldn't be imprisoned. Oh and Whirly, everything is justifiable.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 11:59 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

I think its bullshit, sure the holocaust was real and denying it sucks and all, but people should be allowed to do it. No matter what it implies, freedom of speech and all. As long as the guy isn't trying to cause a new holocaust he really wasn't doing anything wrong.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 12:00 PM
Fishy is currently offline Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bardock42
There'S nothing nice about this. It is sad actually. Certainly the Historian is wrong, but I think he has the right to deny it if he wants, he shouldn't be imprisoned. Oh and Whirly, everything is justifiable.

Not in Austria, Where are you from Marius? wink I think three years is a little strong though, however it just shows the pain many still feel over these events, including the Austrian nation.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 12:04 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
Not in Austria, Where are you from Marius? wink I think three years is a little strong though, however it just shows the pain many still feel over these events, including the Austrian nation.

Even in Austria, that is not a Law thing, everything as a fact is justifiable.

Well I won't deny there is pain and that is justified as well, but Freedom of Speech should be more important especially as the Historian didn't harm anybody.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 12:17 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

My recollection on the event is a little hazy - did he actually make these comments while in Austria?

And what other places have laws like this? Does Israel, for example, or Germany itself? Or Poland? Or many others? Nations and people who suffered just as much, if not more, then Austria?

From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 12:19 PM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
My recollection on the event is a little hazy - did he actually make these comments while in Austria?

And what other places have laws like this? Does Israel, for example, or Germany itself? Or Poland? Or many others? Nations and people who suffered just as much, if not more, then Austria?

He made the comments in a book tour of Austria

Even in Austria, that is not a Law thing

Yes it is he just got 3 years, you're Austrian right?

Last edited by Sir Whirlysplat on Feb 21st, 2006 at 12:25 PM

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 12:22 PM
Bardock42

I can't even tell you. It might be a crime here too though.

He made the comments in a book tour of Austria

Yes it is he just got 3 years, you're Austrian right?

I didn't say that one doesn't get punished for it in Austria, I said it is justifiable, I can prove it you, meet me in Vienna in an hour I will justify the Holocaust.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 12:27 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

I didn't say that one doesn't get punished for it in Austria, I said it is justifiable, I can prove it you, meet me in Vienna in an hour I will justify the Holocaust.

I would not want to see you get 3 years smile added to which I am at work!

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 12:34 PM
Bardock42

I would not want to see you get 3 years smile added to which I am at work!

Yeah, that would suck, so lets not Justify it for now.
And what the hell are you doing on KMC at work?

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 12:38 PM
Eis
androgynous mind

I agree.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 12:43 PM
Eis is currently offline Click here to Send Eis a Private Message Find more posts by Eis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

In Germany, you can go to prison for up to 3 years for mass-producing Hitler's picture or displaying a single likeness in a way that glorifies him, or for denying the Holocaust.

My opinion? The importance of free speech balances on a fragile line with social harmony. Ultimately, I'd rather err on the side of freedom.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 12:44 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, that would suck, so lets not Justify it for now.
And what the hell are you doing on KMC at work?

laughing out loud I'm marking some extremely poor papers on Gas Chromatography and I am bored!! Nice thing about the kind of marking I do, I don't have to worry to much about spellings, just the practical, background and conclusion etc.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 12:45 PM
Hit_and_Miss
I wonder....

Is there any reason inparticual that hes denying the Holocaust happened? Is there any way his words were twisted or taken out of context? (not trying to defend the guy, just want to know if hes got a reason for saying this or if he is just really, really stupid....)

By Barker
"There can be only none..."

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 01:47 PM
Hit_and_Miss is currently offline Click here to Send Hit_and_Miss a Private Message Find more posts by Hit_and_Miss Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
Is there any reason inparticual that hes denying the Holocaust happened? Is there any way his words were twisted or taken out of context? (not trying to defend the guy, just want to know if hes got a reason for saying this or if he is just really, really stupid....)

Nope and justification of the Holocaust is also illegal in many countries in Europe including Austria and Germany. smile

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 01:49 PM
Hit_and_Miss
I wonder....

Wonder why he said something so idiotic then... Possibly trying to get publicity with all the white supremacists out there??

By Barker

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 02:01 PM
Hit_and_Miss is currently offline Click here to Send Hit_and_Miss a Private Message Find more posts by Hit_and_Miss Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Hit_and_Miss
Wonder why he said something so idiotic then... Possibly trying to get publicity with all the white supremacists out there??

probably. This was my original point which some people misunderstood, to many hate crimes cannot be justified and in many countries to a point our own included it's law. Race relations law has been used recently against BNP members for a similar purpose.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 02:05 PM
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

f*** him.

you're next mel gibson

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 02:08 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Holocaust denial is illegal in Belgium (Negationism Law). The offense is punishable by imprisonment of up to one year and fines.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 02:21 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hit_and_Miss
I wonder....

Mel gibson??? Thou I'm not a fan, whats he done???

Why is denial of the holocaust such a crime??? Though it takes a huge amount of idiocy to do so, people are still free to deny that 1+1 equals 2 and people can deny that we have been to the moon... (even though alot of astronaughts died trying) Is this a little harsh?? Hes just an idiot... Should we not treat all idiots the same??? lock up all those who say something stupid??

By Barker

Last edited by Hit_and_Miss on Feb 21st, 2006 at 02:25 PM

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 02:21 PM