KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Why do they take Merry and Pippin with?

Why do they take Merry and Pippin with?
Started by: Surtur

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why do they take Merry and Pippin with?

I never really figured this out. I can understand why Merry and Pippin came with Frodo and Sam in the beginning..they ran into them and then Merry apparently knew a quick way to get where they needed to go.

But once they get to Rivendell and decide they are going to go destroy the one ring..why do they let these two people come with? That is two more people they need to worry about protecting, two more mouths to feed, two more people they'd need to sneak into Mordor.

Pippin also kind of gets Gandalf killed...if he hadn't been touching shit then they might of been able to get through the mines without being noticed.

So why take these two people with that bring absolutely nothing to the table?

Old Post Nov 29th, 2015 10:11 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Because of plot. More seriously characters such as Elrond and Gandalf have some ability of foresight. Beyond that the main reason they were allowed was to provide companionship to Frodo to help ease the burden of carrying the Ring.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 05:53 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I can understand thinking Sam would ease the burden, but Pippin and Merry?

I think Gandalf was just high the entire time. In the 3rd film near the end he mentions Frodo has moved "beyond his sight" at that point. Yet earlier he had been whining to Aragorn about how Frodo is probably dead. The f*ck happened to his sight then?

Last edited by Surtur on Dec 3rd, 2015 at 11:59 PM

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2015 11:56 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Because they're traveling companions and friends to Frodo and Sam- note how a good section of the first part of the journey is just-Hobbits, and 4 is a lot safer than 2.

By that point, they'd already traveled with them, and hobbits in general tend to be overlooked so Gandalf saw their use.

Last edited by Q99 on Dec 6th, 2015 at 06:25 AM

Old Post Dec 6th, 2015 06:13 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

4 is normally safer then two, but for sneaking into Mordor and Mt. Doom? They came with to Rivendell, they could of stayed.

On that note how did Gandalf even plan to get them to Mt. Doom in the first place? Why didn't he tell them about the Balrog? So many questions.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2015 11:50 PM
Q99

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
4 is normally safer then two, but for sneaking into Mordor and Mt. Doom? They came with to Rivendell, they could of stayed.

Backup Hobbits. What if Frodo or Sam die on the way? Heck, what if Frodo and Sam simply had someone else to carry more supplies with them and keep their spirits up?

quote:
On that note how did Gandalf even plan to get them to Mt. Doom in the first place?

Send some hobbits to do it!

quote:
Why didn't he tell them about the Balrog? So many questions.

He didn't know the Balrog was there.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2015 06:11 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

As for back up hobbits well if it was up to Pippin and Merry to get the ring to Mt. Doom then everyone would of been screwed. Remember not all hobbits can resist the ring that well. Gollum and his little buddy literally tried to murder each other within a few moments of having the ring.

As for Gandalf he did know it was there, at least in the movies he did. Otherwise his hesitancy to go into Moria and Saruman saying "you know what the dwarves awoke" don't really make any sense.

So it was quite clear he knew the balrog was there, or at the very least something strong and evil.

Yet nobody even asks why he doesn't want to go to Moria. Even Gimli doesn't seem to wonder why Gandalf would rather climb up a snowy mountain then set foot in Moria. Even when Saruman nearly brings down the mountain Gandalf still doesn't really want to go to Moria and..nobody says a thing about this.

Likewise nobody asks friggin Gimli if he knows the damn password to Moria.

Either Gandalf knew about the balrog and didn't say anything or he knew about the army of orcs residing in Moria and didn't say anything. I'm not even going to bother asking how Gollum got into Moria despite the entrance being caved in by an evil squid thing.

Last edited by Surtur on Dec 7th, 2015 at 05:25 PM

Old Post Dec 7th, 2015 05:17 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

This is like asking why the eagles weren't used as transport and getting the response that they were largely "unconcerned" with the world, or some shit.

They were there for the sake of the story. Same with Gimli. Cuz who the f*ck needs all these short people on their 1,000 mile trek-quest?

Old Post Dec 9th, 2015 10:55 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

There are many questions, but hell the shit Legolas does in the movies and in the Hobbit trilogy..this guy could of probably ninja flipped the ring into Mt. Doom.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2015 10:35 PM
Q99

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
This is like asking why the eagles weren't used as transport and getting the response that they were largely "unconcerned" with the world, or some shit.

I'm pretty sure the reason is that putting One Rings around Proud Kings is a recipe for Dark Lord Talon Feathers taking over middle earth.

quote:

They were there for the sake of the story. Same with Gimli. Cuz who the f*ck needs all these short people on their 1,000 mile trek-quest?

Gimli's a murder machine, as much as Legolas!

Old Post Dec 11th, 2015 09:25 AM
Bentley
Seitei

If different hobbits are spotted here and there, people might ignore which one has the Ring. Also they have hairy feet, so they can sneak up at times.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Dec 11th, 2015 09:38 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

There are many questions, but hell the shit Legolas does in the movies and in the Hobbit trilogy..this guy could of probably ninja flipped the ring into Mt. Doom.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2015 11:53 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Gimli is nothing compared to Legolas. I remember the one scene where Gimli is all "I've killed 2" and Legolas is like "I"m on 17". Then when he takes down the large elephant by himself, something Gimli could never in a million years do. Then everyone else at least looks exhausted from fighting, but Legolas never really does.

Oh and his dad is a glorious a-hole. Much cooler then Elrond.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2015 03:24 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Gimli is nothing compared to Legolas. I remember the one scene where Gimli is all "I've killed 2" and Legolas is like "I"m on 17".

Gimli beat him. It's the final count that matters wink

100% canon, unless the "I killed 2 / I killed 17" scene, btw.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 07:41 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think that is Legolas just making Gimli feel better about himself.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2015 10:29 PM