KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Classic Beyonder´s true power debate.

Classic Beyonder´s true power debate.
Started by: Thanos_THOTU

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Classic Beyonder´s true power debate.

Well, since so many threads have been destroyed (gone off topic) when debating about Beyonder´s power, I decide to make a specific thread for it.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 04:06 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lft4ded
the Desert Moon

Good idea. I prefer his retcon'ed origin and the power levels that go with it. Though the cosmic cube has unlimited potential I'm glad that he was only half of one. I disliked the driving force behind the Secret Wars and prefer the delusional Beyonder version of the tale. It makes more sense that an all-powerful being didn't just do what any self-respecting god would've done and sent an (or several) avatar to live a normal life among humanity and then slip quietly away.

Yeah, he was definitely a delusional chunk of cosmic cube.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2006 04:14 AM
lft4ded is currently offline Click here to Send lft4ded a Private Message Find more posts by lft4ded Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

threads that are about beyonder, dont get any posts. its sad, but true.
so you make one about LT and tie beyonder into it, and you get a 100 page thread.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2006 04:23 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mider999
Restricted

Account Restricted

i dont know why LT is lame the beyonders power in secret wars two was suppose to be equal to the multiverse combined times serveral times maybe hundred million times.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2006 04:43 AM
Mider999 is currently offline Click here to Send Mider999 a Private Message Find more posts by Mider999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lft4ded
the Desert Moon

I was thinking about it today with all of the 'versus' threads going on and I think that the so-called 'pre-retcon' beyonder proved that his 'post-retcon' origins are actually correct.

IIRC he claimed to be omniscient and omnipotent.

I think that he proved he wasn't omniscient when he stated that he didn't know what it was like to experience life as humans do. That proved that he wasn't omniscient. I think what he and any multi/universal entity mean when they or the narrator (IIRC, Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet was described by both himself and the narrator as the supreme power) describes them as omniscient is 'functional omniscience'. 'Functional omniscience' would be best described as existing along the breadth, or vast-majority, of (Multi-)Infinity/(Multi-)Eternity, or virtual omnipresence. They technically would know everything (what you did last summer or 2 weeks from now to your wife's rapidly cooling corpse, you naughty boy), they could even know what you're thinking, but they wouldn't necessarily have the experience. It would be similar to reading a novel, all of them simultaneously, but still it would be incomplete. Anytime the Beyonder said that he was unsure, or lacked some knowledge or experience, he was

I think that the Beyonder likewise wasn't omnipotent. If he could give a measure of his power, as he did when when he wiped Multi-Death out (This is a great portion of my power and I may not be able to undo it), then he obviously isn't omnipotent, otherwise . That he did resurrect Multi-Death doesn't really mean much. I can ask Thor to tickle a Celestial by punching a hole through its armor, no easy feat for Thor, and keep Zeus occupied for a couple of months. He can do one or the other but not both simultaneously, and he knows it or at least may question his ability to. Beyonder may've had the power of trillion billion multi-verses but that is still a measurement. The Beyonder claimed to have given Phoenix enough power to destroy him, and thus placed a measurement on his ability to sustain himself, or he was lying. The One Above All for instance, is more than a name, it is what it is. No measurement suffices.

Dang it, I keep on checking the 'Versus' forum and darthgoober has also listed a lot of relative points.

The Tribunal is beyond the multiverse, what better way to judge it? His authority comes from 'above' the fragile layers of the multi-verse. So being beyond the multi-verse doesn't mean anything special really.

Even retconned, the race of Beyonders don't carry the weight of power that pre-retcon Beyonder was supposed to have. The LT mentioned that they "permitted" the Beyonders experiment with the cosmic cubes.

Other thoughts:
Why did the assembled multi-versal cosmic entities attack Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet or the Heart Of The Universe (or is it 'Infinite'), even though they didn't stand a chance, but not even attempt to stop the Beyonder? As Cosmos related to Molecule Man, the cosmic entities are their power whereas MM and Thanos with his doohickeys are human(-oid) and he spoke of their potential. The funny thing about potential is that it may not be necessarily lived up to. For all the times that Thanos gained ultimate power he's lost it and that gives the cosmic entities hope that he can be defeated.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by darthgoober
Look, TOAA is omniscient. TOAA orchestrated the entire HOTU event because he knew exactly how Thanos would respond. That shows that he has absolute knowledge of the future otherwise he never would have allowed Thanos to obtain that level of power. That level of omniscience means that he knew the Beyonder was going to cross over into his domain, and yet he did nothing to stop him. And because it was within his domain, he could have stopped him just like you could bar your front door if you didn't want your brother in your house in the first place. He allowed the Beyonder to cross over because he knew that the Beyonder wasn't a threat to him.

The Beyonder on the other hand, is not omniscient. He may know everything from the present and the past and a limited ability to sense the future, but he showed that he does not have ABSOLUTE knowledge of the future when he destroyed Multi-Death. If he had absolute knowledge, he never would have done that in the first place and then had to correct his mistake. He also showed a lack of omniscience when he was defeated by Dr. Doom. And before anyone yells PIS, if it was the case, it would only demonstrate the fact the he is subject to the laws that are laid down by TOAA. If he was really immune to the laws of TOAA, PIS would never be an issue, because he wouldn't have been subject to the plot of the story.

The omniscience demonstrated by TOAA to is a feat superior to anything that the beyonder accomplished(we all agree that TOAA could have destroyed MULTI-DEATH, right). Levels of power on the forum are determined for the most part by the feats shown by the combatants. Which all adds up to TOAA FTW.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2006 06:06 AM
lft4ded is currently offline Click here to Send lft4ded a Private Message Find more posts by lft4ded Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jumpmann
Glower of Eyes

Didn't Beyonder himself say he was more powerful than anyone? This was while LT was in the "room". This was like near the time when he killed Death and brought her back moments later.

In any event, pretty sure Batman has a batarang ready to take down people on his power level.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2006 06:30 AM
jumpmann is currently offline Click here to Send jumpmann a Private Message Find more posts by jumpmann Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creshosk

What kind of ultimate power is lost in the first place?

Hyperbole.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2006 08:28 AM
Creshosk is currently offline Click here to Send Creshosk a Private Message Find more posts by Creshosk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote