KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Is Revolution Doom to Fail in our Modern Times?

Is Revolution Doom to Fail in our Modern Times?
Started by: WrathfulDwarf

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Is Revolution Doom to Failed in our Modern Times?

In the US, Japan, Canada, Europe and other more advance nations....yes.

You agree?

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2007 05:40 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Mind explaining what you find the "Revolution" to be so I can decide if I agree or not?

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2007 06:43 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starhawk
Restricted

Account Restricted

No, people simply have to be united behind the idea and willing to sacrifice everything to win as in the case of the French and Russian Revolutions.

Burn Baby, BURN!!!My Sig Artwork

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2007 06:44 PM
Starhawk is currently offline Click here to Send Starhawk a Private Message Find more posts by Starhawk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

quote: (post)
Originally posted by chithappens
Mind explaining what you find the "Revolution" to be so I can decide if I agree or not?

Wiki will help

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 09:51 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

I was uncertain because I'm trying to understanding what the revolt would be based on

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 09:57 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AngryManatee
Sexy Ham Manwich

I feel it would take something immensely huge (i.e. American soil under attack, Elvis' grave destroyed, etc.) for people of an advanced nation to rally with each other, mainly due to the fact that most of them are fine with their posh little lifestyle.

You don't need good rear vision because you're always in front!

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 10:00 PM
AngryManatee is currently offline Click here to Send AngryManatee a Private Message Find more posts by AngryManatee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

My point exactly. Revolution is a bold word. Certain movements, maybe

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 10:01 PM
AngryManatee
Sexy Ham Manwich

A revolution involving the overthrow of one's government would require the backing of a large majority of the population in order for it to be successful. This is shown to be true in all successful revolutions such as the French, Russian, and American Revolutions.

You don't need good rear vision because you're always in front!

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 10:09 PM
AngryManatee is currently offline Click here to Send AngryManatee a Private Message Find more posts by AngryManatee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Machiavellian principles are in place. It will never happen

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 10:15 PM
The Black Ghost
Observer

First of all, revolution is a broad term and does not neccesarily mean a government coup or overthrow. It could be as little as rallying people to fix a little thing -after all revolution doesnt have to involve violence.

Since I assume the question implies a coup though...I do think it is quite possible. In fact, under certain circumstances, very possible. It would be definately much harder in the US or somthing because we are generally fine with are lives -and too lazy to do anything- but on the other hand, mass media and telecommunications would allow a very large audience to be brought in. If there was a sufficient enough reason, revolutino could occur it would just take a lot of people and a general refusal of military to fight back. Depends really.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2007 01:50 AM
The Black Ghost is currently offline Click here to Send The Black Ghost a Private Message Find more posts by The Black Ghost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Originally posted by The Black Ghost
First of all, revolution is a broad term and does not neccesarily mean a government coup or overthrow. It could be as little as rallying people to fix a little thing -after all revolution doesnt have to involve violence.

Which is why I asked what he meant because it was not really clear. But I don't see it happening at all. People never feel as if anything affects them anymore. Media has a big affect on this

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Apr 25th, 2007 02:09 AM
pcp

I can only speak for where I live, England, and I believe that, as unhappy people may get and for whatever reason, I cannot see revolution happening in the near future.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2007 12:31 PM
pcp is currently offline Click here to Send pcp a Private Message Find more posts by pcp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

No, of course it is not doomed to fail.

We have not come to, as Giddens refered to it ''end of history''. Our political and economic systems WILL change in the future.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Apr 25th, 2007 02:26 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

No it is not doomed, it just happens slowly I think.

Eventually the situation will reach a point where the need of a revolution will become clearer. I mean, people have to suffer to know that a revolution is needed and perhaps someday the situation gets to a point where the suffering will cause the revolution.

For this reason I think corruption cannot go on forever. Corruption leads to suffering, and suffering leads to revolution.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2007 10:07 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Originally posted by Atlantis001
No it is not doomed, it just happens slowly I think.

Eventually the situation will reach a point where the need of a revolution will become clearer. I mean, people have to suffer to know that a revolution is needed and perhaps someday the situation gets to a point where the suffering will cause the revolution.

For this reason I think corruption cannot go on forever. Corruption leads to suffering, and suffering leads to revolution.

But it will never happen in modern times and now (talking federal change of government) on because of media. The images people believe are crazy as hell and most people only know of their own little circle in the place they grew up in. Those who can do something are easily hushed by those of power and those who have power and could do something are comfortable.

Movements, possible. Revolution, no.

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Apr 25th, 2007 10:11 PM
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Originally posted by chithappens
But it will never happen in modern times and now (talking federal change of government) on because of media. The images people believe are crazy as hell and most people only know of their own little circle in the place they grew up in. Those who can do something are easily hushed by those of power and those who have power and could do something are comfortable.

Movements, possible. Revolution, no.

Well I was not considering the media, so perhaps you are right.

It is easier to manipulate people today because of the media, but that is also because people are too comfortable in their positions too. If people start to feel the pain in their skin I think the media will start to lose its power. The Catholic church also worked in the medieval times like the media does today, but it lost its power in the end.

Anyway there is big problems I think, and now with the globalization it means a lot more people are conditioned to believe in the same images others do. Globalization creates a common way of thinking shared by many around the world, so if a revolution has to fight agaisnt this common way of thinking.... it will be a challenge.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2007 10:50 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Originally posted by Atlantis001
Well I was not considering the media, so perhaps you are right.

It is easier to manipulate people today because of the media, but that is also because people are too comfortable in their positions too. If people start to feel the pain in their skin I think the media will start to lose its power. The Catholic church also worked in the medieval times like the media does today, but it lost its power in the end.

Anyway there is big problems I think, and now with the globalization it means a lot more people are conditioned to believe in the same images others do. Globalization creates a common way of thinking shared by many around the world, so if a revolution has to fight agaisnt this common way of thinking.... it will be a challenge.

I left out globalization but that could play a role in keeping the status quo.

People do not give a damn as a whole until they feel they have something to lose. With race also being a factor, so many people can not even see they have the same problems because of race. They fight amongst themselves instead of the core of the issues. Silly distractions.

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Apr 25th, 2007 10:54 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I can see a Revolution in our lifetime. Thing's have to really start degrading first though. Americans may not like the government's stance on Foreign Policy, but its certainly not something millions of people are willing to risk death for.

Honestly, I see any Revolution based on immigration. Say 50 years from now, declining birthrates in the West, massive amounts of immigrants retaining their own culture, it's gonna get some people pissed eventually.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2007 12:39 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Black Ghost
Observer

I think there might be a major "revolutionary" movement sometime in the near future, and it will be a major thing -something that will probably go much deeper than politics or government. It might not be violent, but it will be a big change somewhere, or everywhere -and its outcome is going to determine a lot more about lifestlye and who is right and wrong by the virtue of who wins...

Old Post Apr 28th, 2007 04:54 AM
The Black Ghost is currently offline Click here to Send The Black Ghost a Private Message Find more posts by The Black Ghost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
No, of course it is not doomed to fail.

We have not come to, as Giddens refered to it ''end of history''. Our political and economic systems WILL change in the future.

I always thought Fukuyama explained it better. But yes their views are incorrect and, at least Fukuyama is, sometimes plain wrong.

If people are happy with their lives they will not easily start a revolution. But how long will people in modern western countries remain happy with their lives? What if the last steps in Maslow's hierarchy of needs grow beyond the reach of our modern countries?

In those cases I see revolution as a possibility.

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Apr 28th, 2007 09:25 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote