KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Looking back on the Superhero Registration Act

Looking back on the Superhero Registration Act
Started by: srankmissingnin

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Looking back on the Superhero Registration Act

It's been a little while since Siege ended, and Steve had the President repeal the SRA, and I have to say I feel like Marvel really fell short and didn't capitalize on the potential of this story line.

The idea of Superheroes being held accountable for their actions, the people they hurt, and the collateral damage they cause, opens the doors to a lot of potentially interesting stories... but Marvel never really showed us the system in action. What we got instead was a lot of fights between Unregistered Heroes and Registered ones... we never saw the actual system in action. That is a real missed opportunity. We never got to see any of the registered heroes struggling to do their jobs with all the red tap and bureaucracy tying them down. We never saw and heroes held accountable for what they do while fighting crime. We never got to see an Internal Affairs type regulatory body trying to take down "dirty" superheroes. How awesome would have been to have a The Shield (the tv show) type book, only focused on super heroes? Imagine Batroc getting set free because Cap took him down with "excessive force", or a regulatory body trying to throw the book at Wolverine for questionable murders and failing to get warrants.

It's really disappointing looking at all the missed opportunities, I feel there is some potential there for some great stories that we haven't really seen a hundred times before... it's a shame what we ended up with amounted to virtually nothing.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Last edited by srankmissingnin on Feb 27th, 2012 at 06:49 PM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2012 06:46 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Re: Looking back on the Superhero Registration Act

quote: (post)
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
It's been a little while since Siege ended, and Steve had the President repeal the SRA, and I have to say I feel like Marvel really fell short and didn't capitalize on the potential of this story line.

The idea of Superheroes being held accountable for their actions, the people they hurt, and the collateral damage they cause, opens the doors to a lot of potentially interesting stories... but Marvel never really showed us the system in action. What we got instead was a lot of fights between Unregistered Heroes and Registered ones... we never saw the actual system in action. That is a real missed opportunity. We never got to see any of the registered heroes struggling to do their jobs with all the red tap and bureaucracy tying them down. We never saw and heroes held accountable for what they do while fighting crime. We never got to see an Internal Affairs type regulatory body trying to take down "dirty" superheroes. How awesome would have been to have a The Shield (the tv show) type book, only focused on super heroes? Imagine Batroc getting set free because Cap took him down with "excessive force", or a regulatory body trying to throw the book at Wolverine for questionable murders and failing to get warrants.

It's really disappointing looking at all the missed opportunities, I feel there is some potential there for some great stories that we haven't really seen a hundred times before... it's a shame what we ended up with amounted to virtually nothing.
The Civil War became just a launchpad for the Death of Cap[which cast a shadow over the whole event and all that followed], WWH, and the return of Thor[which wasn't handled with enough care either]. Other than that, it was a lot of nonsensical fights. It was a big disappointment, that first issue of Civil War got me to collect a handful of Marvel comics at the time based on the ideas it was promising, and I fairly quickly dropped most of them at around the year mark due to lost interest because of bad handling of the event. So many of the characters were acting so 'out of character' to me, and the relationships between the heros were often handled incredibly poor too, outside of a few instances. In the end it was a big money grab and it worked for them in that manner.

What you described above and some other stuff is what I was hoping for, and a bit of lasting reflection within the universe, and all I got was a shining example that political stuff doesn't work in ongoing universe superhero books.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Feb 27th, 2012 07:06 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Igniz
I reign supreme!

Re: Looking back on the Superhero Registration Act

Originally posted by srankmissingnin

This post gives the Idea of a what if?

I'm the CEO of NEST!
Respect Chaos King Fear The Dread Dormammu Surtur Carnivore

Old Post Feb 28th, 2012 02:15 AM
Igniz is currently offline Click here to Send Igniz a Private Message Find more posts by Igniz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WhiteWitchKing

Re: Re: Looking back on the Superhero Registration Act

Originally posted by Igniz
This post gives the Idea of a what if?

A Mini What If event maybe or 10 book series book not event style.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2012 06:17 AM
WhiteWitchKing is currently offline Click here to Send WhiteWitchKing a Private Message Find more posts by WhiteWitchKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

The idea was great, but they failed to deliever.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2012 06:19 AM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote