KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » R.I.P. Sid Barret

R.I.P. Sid Barret
Started by: -Tired Hiker-

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Sleep R.I.P. Sid Barret

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 03:09 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PandoraMomo
I have a secret...

I just heard about it.

The music world just lost one of its greatest musicians.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 03:56 PM
PandoraMomo is currently offline Click here to Send PandoraMomo a Private Message Find more posts by PandoraMomo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vanice
traceur

shine on

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 04:26 PM
vanice is currently offline Click here to Send vanice a Private Message Find more posts by vanice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rickyduck
--------

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Tired Hiker-

*syd

I know, its shocking really.. 60 years old.. he was such a legend, what a sad way to die... but his music will still live on. sad

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 05:11 PM
rickyduck is currently offline Click here to Send rickyduck a Private Message Find more posts by rickyduck Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morgoths_Wrath

Re: R.I.P. Sid Barret

Originally posted by -Tired Hiker-

sad

music has lost another great soul. we won't forget

R.I.P.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 05:52 PM
Morgoths_Wrath is currently offline Click here to Send Morgoths_Wrath a Private Message Find more posts by Morgoths_Wrath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morgoths_Wrath

Re: Re: R.I.P. Sid Barret

LONDON (AP) - Syd Barrett, the troubled Pink Floyd co-founder who spent his last years in reclusive anonymity, has died, the band said Tuesday. He was 60.

A spokeswoman for the band said Barrett died several days ago, but she did not disclose the cause of death. Barrett had suffered from diabetes for years.

The surviving members of Pink Floyd - David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Roger Waters and Richard Wright - said they were "very upset and sad to learn of Syd Barrett's death."

"Syd was the guiding light of the early band lineup and leaves a legacy which continues to inspire," they said in a statement.

Barrett co-founded Pink Floyd in 1965 with Waters, Mason and Wright, and wrote many of the band's early songs. The group's jazz-infused rock and drug-laced, multimedia "happenings" made them darlings of the London psychedelic scene. The 1967 album "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" - largely written by Barrett, who also played guitar - was a commercial and critical hit.

But Barrett suffered from mental instability, exacerbated by his use of LSD. His behavior grew increasingly erratic, and he left the group in 1968 - five years before the release of Pink Floyd's most popular album, "Dark Side of the Moon" - to be replaced by Gilmour.

Barrett released two solo albums - "The Madcap Laughs" and "Barrett" - but soon withdrew from the music business altogether. An album of previously unreleased material, "Opel," was issued in 1988.

He reverted to his real name, Roger Barrett, and spent much of the rest of his life living quietly in his hometown of Cambridge, England. Moving into his mother's suburban house, he passed the time painting and tending the garden. His former bandmates made sure Barrett continued to receive royalties from his work with Pink Floyd.

He was a familiar figure to neighbors, often seen cycling or walking to the corner store, but rarely spoke to the fans and journalists who sought him out over the years.

Despite his brief career, Barrett's fragile, wistful songs influenced many musicians, from David Bowie - who covered the Barrett track "See Emily Play" - to the other members of Pink Floyd, who recorded the album "Wish You Were Here" as a tribute to their troubled bandmate.

It contained the song "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" - "Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun." The band also dwelt on themes of mental illness on the albums "Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall."

The band spokeswoman said a small, private funeral would be held.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 05:57 PM
Morgoths_Wrath is currently offline Click here to Send Morgoths_Wrath a Private Message Find more posts by Morgoths_Wrath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StinkFist462
Your Mom

sYd. at least have the decency to spell his name right.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 07:00 PM
StinkFist462 is currently offline Click here to Send StinkFist462 a Private Message Find more posts by StinkFist462 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
musicislife
(wannabe) Senior Member

I hate it when musicians die.
R.I.P. Syd.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 11:31 PM
musicislife is currently offline Click here to Send musicislife a Private Message Find more posts by musicislife Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Joseph_Kerr

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
You were caught on the crossfire of childhood and stardom,
blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter,
come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
Well you wore out your welcome with random precision,
rode on the steel breeze.
Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!
Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far.
Pile on many more layers and I'll be joining you there.
And we'll bask in the shadow of yesterday's triumph,
sail on the steel breeze.
Come on you boy child, you winner and loser,
come on you miner for truth and delusion, and shine

RIP Syd

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 01:24 AM
Joseph_Kerr is currently offline Click here to Send Joseph_Kerr a Private Message Find more posts by Joseph_Kerr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
papabeard
tHe RiVeRmaN

God Bless Syd The Nutter.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 08:04 AM
papabeard is currently offline Click here to Send papabeard a Private Message Find more posts by papabeard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rickyduck
--------

Originally posted by StinkFist462
sYd. at least have the decency to spell his name right.

Thats what I said

Originally posted by Joseph_Kerr
Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
You were caught on the crossfire of childhood and stardom,
blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter,
come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
Well you wore out your welcome with random precision,
rode on the steel breeze.
Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!
Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far.
Pile on many more layers and I'll be joining you there.
And we'll bask in the shadow of yesterday's triumph,
sail on the steel breeze.
Come on you boy child, you winner and loser,
come on you miner for truth and delusion, and shine

RIP Syd

And do something like:

Arnold Layne had a strange hobby
Collecting clothes
Moonshine washing line
They suit him fine

On the wall hung a tall mirror
Distorted view, see through baby blue
He dug it
Oh, Arnold Layne
It's not the same, takes two to know
Two to know, two to know, two to know
Why can't you see?

Arnold Layne, Arnold Layne, Arnold Layne, Arnold Layne

Now he's caught - a nasty sort of person.
They gave him time
Doors bang - chain gang - he hates it

Oh, Arnold Layne
It's not the same, takes two to know
Two to know, two to know, two to know
Why can't you see?

Arnold Layne, Arnold Layne, Arnold Layne, Arnold Layne
Don't do it again.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 02:34 PM
rickyduck is currently offline Click here to Send rickyduck a Private Message Find more posts by rickyduck Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

He wasn't even in the band when they made their best music.

Chill out. As soon as someone dies, they become the greatest at something. How about we recognise what they actually did, before we do that?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 04:54 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rickyduck
--------

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
He wasn't even in the band when they made their best music.

Chill out. As soon as someone dies, they become the greatest at something. How about we recognise what they actually did, before we do that?

-AC

As if we didnt? Wtf do you mean he wasnt in the band when they made their best music? Syd Barret is a hero to me, he made Arnold Layne, which is the best Pink Floyd song, he made bike, see emily play, jugband blues, scarecrow and countless others... since when did we say he was the greatest? Thats rather naive of you, all we were doing was mourning the passing away of one of musics greatest legends.. its not wrong..

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 05:42 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by rickyduck
As if we didnt? Wtf do you mean he wasnt in the band when they made their best music? Syd Barret is a hero to me, he made Arnold Layne, which is the best Pink Floyd song, he made bike, see emily play, jugband blues, scarecrow and countless others... since when did we say he was the greatest? Thats rather naive of you, all we were doing was mourning the passing away of one of musics greatest legends.. its not wrong..

He was hardly one of the world's greatest musicians. A legend by reputation, maybe. He spent decades as a mentally-wrecked recluse. He wasn't a current anything, so I don't see why he's been addressed as such. How many of you hailed him or loved him before he died? I've never seen him mentioned in this forum.

He was replaced by David Gilmour, who is better than Barrett was anyway.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 06:16 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pinkfloydkor

gilmour may be better, but Syd was the Basis for the band itself, with out Syd, there would be no Pink Floyd. And Syds solo stuff wasnt that bad
Shine On

thanks LifeInSepia, sig is AWESOME

Last edited by pinkfloydkor on Jul 12th, 2006 at 06:47 PM

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 06:41 PM
pinkfloydkor is currently offline Click here to Send pinkfloydkor a Private Message Find more posts by pinkfloydkor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rickyduck
--------

He was hardly one of the world's greatest musicians. A legend by reputation, maybe. He spent decades as a mentally-wrecked recluse. He wasn't a current anything, so I don't see why he's been addressed as such. How many of you hailed him or loved him before he died? I've never seen him mentioned in this forum.

He was replaced by David Gilmour, who is better than Barrett was anyway.

-AC

thats rather naive of you aswell, He was one of the greatest musicians ever, as he was DIFFERENT to all the music that was out then, influencing many artists. So what if he was a mental wreck? Cobain commited suicide and was a druggy, but was still considered one of the best musicians ever. He has been mentioned in this forum, and the only reason this thread was made was because he died! If someones (on this forum) relative died, or friend, they would state it, if a footballer died, they would state it, and David Gilmour is better in some aspects but not in others. I dont think you should take musicians like that for granted, its rather ignorant of you..

He didnt spend decades as a recluse, mentally wrecked maybe, but only the last few years as a recluse.. I just think its rather stupid that you can say all that..

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 07:34 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by pinkfloydkor
with out Syd, there would be no Pink Floyd.

[Sarcasm]I perish the thought...[/Sarcasm]

Originally posted by rickyduck
thats rather naive of you aswell, He was one of the greatest musicians ever, as he was DIFFERENT to all the music that was out then, influencing many artists. So what if he was a mental wreck? Cobain commited suicide and was a druggy, but was still considered one of the best musicians ever. He has been mentioned in this forum, and the only reason this thread was made was because he died! If someones (on this forum) relative died, or friend, they would state it, if a footballer died, they would state it, and David Gilmour is better in some aspects but not in others. I dont think you should take musicians like that for granted, its rather ignorant of you..

He didnt spend decades as a recluse, mentally wrecked maybe, but only the last few years as a recluse.. I just think its rather stupid that you can say all that..

I'm not saying being a mental-wreck is something I held against him, because it's not, but when was the last time he contributed anything at all to music? Seriously. His solo work? Hardly anything special. He did things with Pink Floyd that many people love, but they're not exactly Rush, putting out album after album of great quality, consistant music, somewhat regularly. He wasn't even with them for Dark Side of the Moon.

I don't care what you think is stupid, I know enough about music to have an opinion on the matter. What's he getting credit for? A couple of famous songs? Forming the most name-dropped, overrated and pretentious band in British rock history? That doesn't constitute being called one of the greatest musicians ever. If you liked what he did, then say it, but calling him one of the greatest musicians ever puts him in a catagory with people he doesn't deserve to be with.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 08:16 PM
Bardock42

Greatest Musician ever. He will be sadly missed. R.I.P. Syt Berret

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 08:20 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rickyduck
--------

[Sarcasm]I perish the thought...[/Sarcasm]

I'm not saying being a mental-wreck is something I held against him, because it's not, but when was the last time he contributed anything at all to music? Seriously. His solo work? Hardly anything special. He did things with Pink Floyd that many people love, but they're not exactly Rush, putting out album after album of great quality, consistant music, somewhat regularly. He wasn't even with them for Dark Side of the Moon.

I don't care what you think is stupid, I know enough about music to have an opinion on the matter. What's he getting credit for? A couple of famous songs? Forming the most name-dropped, overrated and pretentious band in British rock history? That doesn't constitute being called one of the greatest musicians ever. If you liked what he did, then say it, but calling him one of the greatest musicians ever puts him in a catagory with people he doesn't deserve to be with.

-AC

then what is one of the greatest musicians ever? You obviously do hold the fact that hes a mental wreck against him, and they are not overrated, they're just skilled.. 50 cents overrated.. he wasnt with them for DSOTM because he was in a mental institute...

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 09:04 PM
Ax3l
Dream Finder

Pink Floyd wouldn't have been without Syd. Roger Waters would be creating buildings if it wasn't for him. And we wouldn't have a lot of bands these days without the Floyd. Many bands were influenced by Pink Floyd, and of course we have to give props to Syd and Roger for making one of the greatest and influential bands ever.

I dont care what you people have to say. He was a great musician and he will be missed. After Waters left Pink Floyd, when it was just Gilmour on the front, it was not the same. In fact, (IMO) The Division Bell is their worst CD. And I've always been a fan of The Piper (Pink Floyd's First). I know he hasn't done much, but a death is a death. If it was a relative that you had no idea existed died, you'd go to the funeral. So thats how i feel about Syd Barret's death. I cant say he will be missed, because he was insane so no one really knew what was going on. But if you can stand there and tell me that he had nothing to do with the way music is these days, then you can just go to hell.

R.I.P

One little spark...

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 09:17 PM
Ax3l is currently offline Click here to Send Ax3l a Private Message Find more posts by Ax3l Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote