KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Breech of Contract

Breech of Contract
Started by: Jbill311

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Breech of Contract

Simple question:

Did Gandalf breech his contract, and if he did, was it appropriate given the context.

quote:
LotR The Two Towers pg. 117
"... Did you find them, and are they safe?"
"No, I did not find them,' said Gandalf. 'There was a darkness over the valleys of the Emyn Muil, and I did not know of their captivity, until the Eagle told me.'
'The eagle!' said Legolas. ' I have seen an eagle high and far off; the last time was three days ago, above the Emyn Muil.'
'Yes.' said Galdalf, 'that was Gwaihir the Windlord, who rescued me from Orthanc. I sent him before me to watch the river and gather tidings. His sight is keen, but he cannot see all that passes under hill and tree. Some things he has seen, and others I have seen myself. The Ring now has passed beyond my help, or the help of any of the Company that set out from Rivendell. Very nearly it was revealed to the Enemy, but it escaped. I had some part in that; for I sat in a high place, and I strove with the Dark Tower; and the Shadow passed. Then I was weary, very weary; and I walked long in dark thought.'

Was this contest with Sauron a breech of his commandment not to confront the Dark Tower with brute force? Was it acceptable, even to save the ring?

This is a fairly simple case, so lets expand the question. Would the Valar have liberated Middle Earth from domination by Sauron? If the west had fallen, would they have cast him out like they did to Morgoth? How far does the edict of nonintervention go?

Old Post Sep 6th, 2008 02:21 AM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

How in your mind is that brute force? It's clearly explained as being a battle of wills.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Sep 6th, 2008 01:29 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Brute force as in magical force, rather than political/emotional machinations.

I was under the impression that they weren't allowed to use their magic directly against Sauron, the preferred method being convincing the inhabitants of Middle Earth to fight him. Gandalf was in a direct contest with Sauron, which he won. (in this case) If the restriction on power was only against using it on mortals/elves then why wouldn't the White Council have magicked Sauron off the tower?

Old Post Sep 6th, 2008 05:44 PM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Uh huh...seems more like Gandalf held Sauron at bay till Frodo removed the One Ring and the shadow passed looking for the Ring. Gandalf (the White) was very weary and had to rest where as Sauron just kept going and going so it would appear that it was Sauron that was victor in this battle of wills if Gandalf was the only one of the two to be tired. And need I remind you of this quote:

'Dangerous!' cried Gandalf. 'And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord.'

I think it said somewhere in UT that when the Valar were arranging the configuration of the Istari Olorin wasn't not at first invited. It was Saruman (I forgot how to spell his real name) and the two blue wizards. But Yavanna wanted to send one of her servents, which was Radagast. And last Manwe asked where Olorin was. Then he said he wanted him to go also. But Olorin didn't want to go, and Manwe asked why and he replied "I am afraid of Sauron," then Manwe said something to the effect of "That is why I want you to go."

And Gandalf did not breech his contract.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2008 03:41 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
thtadthtshldntb

the prohibition was not about Sauron.

The prohibition was about using their full powers to control the destiny of Men.

Gandalf, and the other Istari, even Saruman before his corruption, used their powers directly against Sauron and his magical forces all the time. One of the things for example that Gandalf did during the siege of Minas Tirith, was to keep Sauron's cloud of Eternal Darkness from covering Gondor. Also Gandalf kept the Nazgul out of Minas Tirith, otherwise they would have entered and themselves crushed the defenders.

Saruman's Quenya name is Curunir, and in Sindarin he was known as Curomo.

J.R.R. Tolkien, "Of Beren and Luthien" from the Silmarilion

Old Post Sep 9th, 2008 04:28 AM
thtadthtshldntb is currently offline Click here to Send thtadthtshldntb a Private Message Find more posts by thtadthtshldntb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

I don't think he broke his contract, he can act in an emergency as an Angel. But he cannot use the full force of his power to openly awe man and elves into believing him to be some sort of god, and as such manipulate them.

Interestingly, both Sauron and Saruman (Curunir/Curumo) were Maia of Aule. Whom, himself had a somewhat deviant nature when it came to creating things when he shouldn't, in his creation of the Dwarves. The difference of course being the Aule repented and was willing to destroy that which he had created for his love of Eru. But its of note that perhaps he passed on these more -ve qualities to his Maia. The desire to make without restraint?

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2008 10:33 PM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Aule
I don't think he broke his contract, he can act in an emergency as an Angel. But he cannot use the full force of his power to openly awe man and elves into believing him to be some sort of god, and as such manipulate them.

Interestingly, both Sauron and Saruman (Curunir/Curumo) were Maia of Aule. Whom, himself had a somewhat deviant nature when it came to creating things when he shouldn't, in his creation of the Dwarves. The difference of course being the Aule repented and was willing to destroy that which he had created for his love of Eru. But its of note that perhaps he passed on these more -ve qualities to his Maia. The desire to make without restraint?

Thanks. That exception is what I was looking for.

How 'bout this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBW5P8c6_cs?

What was Saruman referring to when he said "Something festers at the heart of Middle Earth"? (1:37)

I know this wasn't part of the books- more changes by Jackson? what was it foreshadowing?

Old Post Oct 7th, 2008 12:21 AM
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

It could possibly be that Saruman has seen in the Palantir what Sauron plans to do, as such his intent and malevolence could be causing the very nature of Middle-earth to change. Especially notable was the darkening and corrupting effect that the Necromancer had on Mirkwood.

That, or he could be referring to the greater Dark Lord, Morgoth. Who it is said will escape from the void when the gods grow old and tired. Perhaps it refers to his darker influence on Middle-earth. I would certainly say it is foreshadowing something but not sure which one.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2008 05:10 PM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote