KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Personal Recommended Readings.

Personal Recommended Readings.
Started by: long pig

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Personal Recommended Readings.

Well, this thread is about comics you personally feel were the greatest. Those issues that you define good solid comic story by and here is the place to recommend those comics to others.

No one's list will be the same, it's all about personal preference.

Top Five:
I dig Dr.Strange, I don't, however dig his every appearance. The greatest Strange comics are the ones found from Dr.Strange's second series 1-50. Best Strange comics ever. If you want to know more about this character, you have to read those issues.

Daredevil is possibly the greatest character ever...when written right that is. His new series written mostly by Kevin Smith or Brian Michael Bendis is his greatest. Key issues of that run are 10-20 and "Hardcore 1-5". He fights Kingpin and he does something you'd never expect!

Deathstroke. Alright, if you like Wolverine or the Punisher, you'll love Slade. His best comics are his early 80's Teen Titan comics. His series was great but after issue 20 it went down hill. In these comics you get to know Slade and how he deals with his personal demons.

Milk and Cheese. Like stupid humor? Like over the top violence committed by dairy products? Of course you do, who doesn't? M&C is the greatest funny book of our time.

Lucifer. Man, this book is wild. If you thought the matrix had you questioning true reality, this book will kick your ass.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 05:29 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

Bendis does a superb job of writing Daredevil, but if you get a chance to read him with Miller, than i'd recommend that, Miller made Daredevil

I love Nightwing, Dixon is probaly my favorite Nightwing writer, but Grayson and Winick give him justice, I'm lookin forward to Wolfman writing him which begins next month.

Arsenal Rocks too, Winick writes him good and The Titans aslo is a good title with him in it

I enjoy others of course like Gambit, Constatine, Spidey, but Marvel has dawged Gambit the past couple of years, Spidey has become overpowered, and I haven't had the chance to pick up any new Constatine.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 07:52 PM
wuTa is currently offline Click here to Send wuTa a Private Message Find more posts by wuTa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

The only modern X-Men stuff anyone should really look at are New X-Men #114-#150 (written by Grant Morisson), and the current series of Astonishing X-Men (written by Joss Whedon)

Superman, nowadays, anything by Busiek (Secret Identity, the current runs of Action and Superman) or Verheiden (pre IC Superman v2), Mark Waid (Birthright)

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 08:03 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

quote: (post)
Originally posted by wuTa
Spidey has become overpowered

Not really... they gave him a couple of new sensory abilities, "stingers" and a new costume.... but the only new thing he ever actually uses is the mechanical legs and not very often at that..... I mean seriously , the guy can now get information from insects (not sure exactly how useful that is, but still...) he can see in the dark but still uses a torch, the organic webs are basically the same as the old ones, he has a bullet proof suit... but he never gets shot anyway and if someone doesn't tell him he can become invisible he usually forgets all about it

It's the most overblown "upgrade" in comic history

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 08:21 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Either his or Icemans...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 08:23 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Iceman's a chump....... shifty

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 08:24 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

Originally posted by Scoobless
Not really... they gave him a couple of new sensory abilities, "stingers" and a new costume.... but the only new thing he ever actually uses is the mechanical legs and not very often at that..... I mean seriously , the guy can now get information from insects (not sure exactly how useful that is, but still...) he can see in the dark but still uses a torch, the organic webs are basically the same as the old ones, he has a bullet proof suit... but he never gets shot anyway and if someone doesn't tell him he can become invisible he usually forgets all about it

Yea, but i just dont like the fact that he doesnt even need that shit...I mean the guy could dodge bullets(albeit from a distance) so why make his suit bulletproof?...lets just give Superman bodyguards, and Tony Stark a loan while we're at it.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 08:37 PM
wuTa is currently offline Click here to Send wuTa a Private Message Find more posts by wuTa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

And his costumes changes to any previous costume he has used before.

My reccomended reading is Y-The Last Man. Is a story of what happens when all male population in the planet dies and only a young man and his male monkey lives. Not only this is a very interesting series but some of the one liners are funny as hell.

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 08:41 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Pict
Defender Of The Faith

Astonishing X-Men, New Excalibur, Ultimate Spiderman.

Hot sig by Scottie

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 09:28 PM
The Pict is currently offline Click here to Send The Pict a Private Message Find more posts by The Pict Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

for me, its by far the lucifer morningstar GN's/comics, they are a great and action packed read, and depict lucifer as much more then just a red guy with a pitchfork smile.... there are 75 comics in all, but they combined the comics into graphic novels and there are 11 of those.....and lucifers story actually begins in the sandman series vloume #4 (which is a great read as well)

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 10:52 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

another great comic series (even though it was later retconned) is "secret wars II" there are 9 issues and each explain and depict the beyonders limitless power.....its a great read; as is the series Marvel: The End in this series of 6 issues it explains how thanos obtains THOTU=the power of TOAA, and how he eventually decides to give it up

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Sep 6th, 2006 at 10:56 PM

Old Post Sep 6th, 2006 10:54 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by wuTa
Yea, but i just dont like the fact that he doesnt even need that shit...I mean the guy could dodge bullets(albeit from a distance) so why make his suit bulletproof?...lets just give Superman bodyguards, and Tony Stark a loan while we're at it.

Fair enough, but people overlook that he gets the snot beat out of him occasionally as well. And yeah, he's also been shot....not often, but more than I'd care to admit (and mroe than I'd ever admit in the vs. forum laughing out loud )

Besides, does anyone really believe the iron costume id going to last more than another year or so? It's not really an upgrade in my opinion, just a temporary gadget.

So back on topic....

My #1 recommendation to anyone, comic fan or otherwise, is Gaiman's Sandman series.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2006 12:52 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Originally posted by DigiMark007
Besides, does anyone really believe the iron costume id going to last more than another year or so? It's not really an upgrade in my opinion, just a temporary gadget.

He's already pretty suspicious that Iron Man has been using it to spy on him... though his spider sense should have at least hinted to him that he was being monitored

Do you even KMC???

Last edited by Scoobless on Sep 7th, 2006 at 02:43 AM

Old Post Sep 7th, 2006 02:32 AM
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Y - the last man. The Authority. Astonishing X-Men.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2006 02:33 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HaSon

Y: The Last Man
Ex Machina
Fables

Best 3 books on the market, IMO.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2006 02:38 AM
HaSon is currently offline Click here to Send HaSon a Private Message Find more posts by HaSon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

Anybody reading "Girls"?

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2006 02:43 AM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

I've recently started reading "Invincible"... it's really bloody good

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Sep 7th, 2006 02:44 AM
Accel

I've recently started reading "Invincible"... it's really bloody good

Ditto.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2006 02:49 AM
Accel is currently offline Click here to Send Accel a Private Message Find more posts by Accel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solidus Snake
The General

Id reccomend

Watchmen

Kingdom Come

XMen between 175-300

The Dark Knight Returns

JLA: The Nail

Old Post Sep 7th, 2006 03:43 AM
Solidus Snake is currently offline Click here to Send Solidus Snake a Private Message Find more posts by Solidus Snake Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Darth Vicious
Anybody reading "Girls"?

i am

i recommend it to everyone

but it doesn't get much respect around here, maybe there is need of a respect thread?

Old Post Sep 7th, 2006 04:24 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote