KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » IGN - Top 100 villains

IGN - Top 100 villains
Started by: Kris Blaze

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kris Blaze
Restricted

Account Restricted

IGN - Top 100 villains

http://comics.ign.com/top-100-villains/

So, IGN have released their list of all time top 100 villains. Undoubtedly me and Philosophia will be mighty satisfied with the man who received 1st place. The one who was awarded 1st place was none other than [SPOILER - highlight to read]: everybody's favourite master of magnetism, Magneto!There were many other great candidates and a couple of selections I am not very happy with. The criteria for this list seems to be.

- The character must be interesting naturally
- The character must be able to fit into the "villain" role, capable of comitting great acts of "evil"
- The character must be somewhat deep and complex
- The character must have affected their respective universe in some great way
- The character must greatly contrast their "good" counterpart.
- The character must be able to produce an interesting and compelling storyline
- ???
- Profit

Part of the reason why I think that [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Magneto was chosen as number 1. Is because many of us can sympathize and agree with his cause. It's very easy, for me at least, to see things from his point of view and partially agree with his actions. A lot of people can relate to him.¨

What are your thoughts about this list? Spot on (yeah right)? or were there room for improvements?

P.S They put Catwoman really high up and did not even mention Emma Frost.

I give you the only thing an Orange Lantern gives....Demands

Last edited by Kris Blaze on Jun 25th, 2009 at 01:41 PM

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 01:36 PM
Kris Blaze is currently offline Click here to Send Kris Blaze a Private Message Find more posts by Kris Blaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xJLxKing

I think it's bull that [SPOILER - highlight to read]: magneto was chosen as the number 1 villain. If anything, it should have been between [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Joker, of Lex Luthor.

I read this a while ago.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 01:47 PM
xJLxKing is currently offline Click here to Send xJLxKing a Private Message Find more posts by xJLxKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Re: IGN - Top 100 villains

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kris Blaze

Part of the reason why I think that [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Magneto was chosen as number 1. Is because many of us can sympathize and agree with his cause. It's very easy, for me at least, to see things from his point of view and partially agree with his actions. A lot of people can relate to him.¨

Exactly.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 01:56 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

I don't consider Magneto a villain and these type of comments stop me from taking IGN that seriously..

quote:
What's remarkable is despite seeing genocide first hand and enduring the terror of concentration camps, Max has matured into exactly what took his family and loved ones from him. To protect his kind from the fate of a similar Holocaust, Eisenhardt persecutes any and all humans who dare cross his path.

Magneto has become bigger than his peers and virtually all of his enemies. It's the sign of a great character when his presence dominates a story and his absence creates a vacuum that cannot be filled by any other. Through his legendary role in Marvel Comics over the years as well as fantastic portrayals in film and animation, it's hard to argue that there has ever been a villain more complex, nuanced, sympathetic and yet irrevocably evil.

Character-wise he definitley deserves to be on the first place, but not 'villain wise'. He is at his best when he is an anti-hero (X-Men 1-3 is probably my favorite story-arc with him) but when he is a mad-villain type of portrayal, he isn't anything special.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Last edited by Philosophía on Jun 25th, 2009 at 03:57 PM

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 03:53 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kris Blaze
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Philosophía
I don't consider Magneto a villain and these type of comments stop me from taking IGN that seriously..

Character-wise he definitley deserves to be on the first place, but not 'villain wise'. He is at his best when he is an anti-hero (X-Men 1-3 is probably my favorite story-arc with him) but when he is a mad-villain type of portrayal, he isn't anything special.

It feels like the bit about Magneto was written by two people. Part of the reason why he is so great is that he proves how relative terms like "evil" are. He's not Doomsday or Mangog, he's not pure evil. They essentially said "Magneto is a great villain because he is not evil, but he is 100% evil"

In the video where they voice their reasons why for choosing him, someone even brings up his role in Secret Wars. How can they then claim that he is evil?

Anyways, the list got a good lot of decent villains. I still feel that Lex is a much greater villain than the joker. Inb4fanboyfags.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 04:02 PM
Kris Blaze is currently offline Click here to Send Kris Blaze a Private Message Find more posts by Kris Blaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Originally posted by Kris Blaze
It feels like the bit about Magneto was written by two people. Part of the reason why he is so great is that he proves how relative terms like "evil" are. He's not Doomsday or Mangog, he's not pure evil. They essentially said "Magneto is a great villain because he is not evil, but he is 100% evil"

In the video where they voice their reasons why for choosing him, someone even brings up his role in Secret Wars. How can they then claim that he is evil?

Anyways, the list got a good lot of decent villains. I still feel that Lex is a much greater villain than the joker. Inb4fanboyfags.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm a Joker fanboy, so I wouldn't know. Lex certainly has his moments (I think I'll even post some in the Superman forum) but I just find Joker far more fascinating, especially written by somebody like Grant Morrison.

Edit: Just noticed Lucifer is on the list also. Not only is he another arguable 'villain' (though he certainly qualifies more than Magneto), the place he is (68) is ridiculous.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Last edited by Philosophía on Jun 25th, 2009 at 04:11 PM

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 04:08 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

What? Have you seen what lazy ass comment they wrote at number 47 aka Thanos!?

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 04:23 PM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Their reasoning was that Magneto makes such a great villain because he could be considered a hero? What the???

IMO Joker should have won it for being a pure, undiluted psychopath but he's by no means my personal favourite. I quite like the Sentinels myself yes

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 07:37 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

IGN is to spark discussion, not to be completely right. Take all of it with a grain of salt.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2009 01:37 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

it's his complexity that put him at the top spot.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2009 01:39 AM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

Anti-Monitor at 49? Give me a break. Even if he's rarely used, he should be top 10 for sheer scale and grandiosity. Prior to Darkseid in FC, nobody came even close to doing what he did in COIE.

Boubou: Thanos sucks, and there really isn't that much to say about him. Starlin can't write compelling dialogue most of the time.

I really like that Kid Miracleman made the list. Alan Moore is getting much love on that list.

Apoc @ 24 is nice, but unless he delivers big time in this current arc, I can't say he should be up there, simply because he's been screwed too often by bad writers.

Also, to expand on a earlier point: People who are unabashedly villains or at least use villanous means, ok. But Magneto is kind-of on the fence because he's not always a villain and he's at least somewhat justified in thinking that mutants need someone to lead them. Same with Black Adam, he's someone who doesn't really qualify as a villain.

Dark Phoenix at 9? Hell ****ing no.

Galactus, above everyone else on this list, should not be on here. He is not a villain. HE is a force of nature. As I think Reed said after his death at one point (might be What-If or AU), Galactus was more compassionate and generous than anyone ever gave him credit for.

Joker deserves the top spot. DS is one of the only villains who could be argued against him, but Joker is just a better showman.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2009 07:21 AM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

Darkseid sucks. His nothing more than a punching bag for Superman. Seriously, I've seen Superman use him as a welcome mat. Wonder Woman has held her own better against Clark than Darkseid has based on the red headed step child like beat down his received. The fabled Omega Beams? Lulz. Can anyone say Wonder Woman and heat vision?

Darkseid is the cosmic Rhino to the DCU. His more like Terrax than Thanos in terms of power. At the end of the day, his nothing more than a bioatch!

Old Post Jun 29th, 2009 07:49 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Lex or Joker...not [SPOILER - highlight to read]: mags

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Jun 29th, 2009 08:25 AM
steverules_2 is online now! Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

DOOM

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Jun 29th, 2009 11:38 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kris Blaze
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's odd how people get so incredibly riled up about the Joker. By all rights Red Skull or Lex are much better villains. What was Trick's arguments again? That Joker enjoyed what he was doing? That's a proper laugh, that's what that is. The only thing he's accomplished so far is what, crippling Batgirl and temporarily leading to Jason Todd choosing to take his own life in order to save his mother only to return a couple of years later??

Maybe if he had actually managed to get Batman to take a life, instead of just being some guy who appears practically -every- time Batman has a scuffle with someone. I'm reading Invincible now, and Angstrom Levy and Conquest have impressed me more so far.

Red Skull managed to take care of Captain America, I bet he enjoyed that much more than the Joker enjoys a batkick every week :/

The Living Island and D'Ken also deserve mention. So does Corinthian smile

Last edited by Kris Blaze on Jun 29th, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Old Post Jun 29th, 2009 12:48 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Mr. Sinister could be number one if he was ever written properly and frequently.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Jun 29th, 2009 02:08 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xJLxKing

Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Darkseid sucks. His nothing more than a punching bag for Superman. Seriously, I've seen Superman use him as a welcome mat. Wonder Woman has held her own better against Clark than Darkseid has based on the red headed step child like beat down his received. The fabled Omega Beams? Lulz. Can anyone say Wonder Woman and heat vision?

Darkseid is the cosmic Rhino to the DCU. His more like Terrax than Thanos in terms of power. At the end of the day, his nothing more than a bioatch!

It's not always about how strong the villain is.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2009 02:35 PM
xJLxKing is currently offline Click here to Send xJLxKing a Private Message Find more posts by xJLxKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

Originally posted by Digi
IGN is to spark discussion, not to be completely right.
there is no right or wrong regarding a list of who the best villains are anyways...only a list of who is perhaps most popular and least popular

Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Jun 29th, 2009 05:24 PM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

1 - 6 on the list are indisputably the top tier villains of comics

after that, the list gets a little wonky for me. ra's al ghul and loki wouldnt be in top 10 for me personally.

Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Jun 29th, 2009 05:28 PM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

Originally posted by xJLxKing
It's not always about how strong the villain is.

His still a bitoatch.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2009 05:32 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote