KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » What year did comic shop sales surpass subscriptions?

What do you think of comic book specialty shops?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
they are pure evil 0 0%
they are a necessary evil 0 0%
I like paying 2 or 3 times as much for comics! 1 100.00%
Total: 1 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

What year did comic shop sales surpass subscriptions?
Started by: BarcodeOnTheBac

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BarcodeOnTheBac

What year did comic shop sales surpass subscriptions?

I'm a diehard subscriber. I love the convenience of getting my comics delivered to my house, and would never, ever consider buying a comic book at a retail shop. There are 3 main reasons I have for this:

1) Gimmicks. I believe that comic book specialty shops have restricted the reach of comics. This, in turn, makes them prone to relying on gimmicks, crossovers, and publicity stunts (or "relaunches") to boost sales every so often, rather than just relying on good writers and excellent art.

2) Price. I currently subscribe to 28 monthly titles, and I pay what averages out to 30% of retail (assuming $2.99 per issue) for my comics, direct from DC and Marvel. (that's 70% off the cover price) Why would I want to spend 3 times as much for my comics? (or have to subscribe to only 1/3 of the titles I get now)

3) Convenience. Without lifting a finger, I get the issues of my favorite comics in my mailbox every month. The mailman is already going by my house every day anyway, so I consider it the environmentally friendly thing to do. No extra wasted gas or time every month.

Now, this brings me to a question. I know there weren't any comic book specialty shops when I was very young. The first of them reared their ugly heads as the 1970's drew to a close, as I recall, and didn't start spawning in most of the cities around me until the early to mid 1980's.

Does anyone know in what year these evil entities managed to surpass the traditional subscription sales of comics? I've always been curious about that.

BTW, the lamest comic I'm subscribing to right now is Aquaman, which has perhaps the worst artwork I have ever seen. The best would be a tossup between Exiles and Green Lantern. (if you don't count the Frew Phantom, which I get by trading with a guy in Australia)
BarcodeOnTheBack is offline Reply With Quote

Old Post Nov 8th, 2006 04:32 PM
BarcodeOnTheBac is currently offline Click here to Send BarcodeOnTheBac a Private Message Find more posts by BarcodeOnTheBac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

bump, since this got moved from the x-men forum

Old Post Nov 10th, 2006 04:09 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Your poll is flawed... I happen to really like comic shops

smile

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Nov 10th, 2006 05:18 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

The gimmicks have almost nothing to do with the retailers and everything to do with the publishers.

I have a membership at my comic shop that gets me 20% of comics and even more off graphic novels (... I forget how much though) so I wouldn't save that much if I got a subscriton. Besides comic shops are good fun, they don't just sell comics and I always find something I want. You can also browse through back issues and buy titles that you might not have subscribed to.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Nov 10th, 2006 05:57 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil Lance
DL

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Scoobless
Your poll is flawed... I happen to really like comic shops

smile

as do I

smile

Old Post Nov 10th, 2006 06:24 PM
Devil Lance is currently offline Click here to Send Devil Lance a Private Message Find more posts by Devil Lance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

If it wasn't for the good people at the comic shops, the books would never be made available for my aquisition smile

Old Post Nov 10th, 2006 08:08 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Yeah, my local comic shop is like a geek hang-out too....which is practially a public service, because otherwise they'd be so pale from seclusion that the sun would burn them to death. Last time I was in there I had to maneuver around battleships that they had lined around the carpeting in some strange real-life turn-based wargame. And there's regularly Magic tourneys, D&D sessions, etc.

And a lot of time I only want specific issues. In that sense, a subscription would be more money in the long-run. The only comics I collect regularly (i.e. ASM) I have a subscription to. The rest I read in local bookstores, read about on KMC, or buy individually from the store.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2006 08:36 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Originally posted by DigiMark007
Yeah, my local comic shop is like a geek hang-out too....which is practially a public service, because otherwise they'd be so pale from seclusion that the sun would burn them to death.

Yes..."them" .... wink

stick out tongue

And is it geeky to recognise the initials ASM as Amazing Spider-Man without even a tenth of a seconds pause?

smile

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Nov 10th, 2006 11:35 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Scoobless
And is it geeky to recognise the initials ASM as Amazing Spider-Man without even a tenth of a seconds pause?

smile

Probably. I always try to think of what my one friend would know, who knows a lot of the characters but doesn't actually read comics. If he doesn't "get it", I generally consider it to be geekish.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2006 03:58 PM
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Originally posted by DigiMark007
Yeah, my local comic shop is like a geek hang-out too....which is practially a public service, because otherwise they'd be so pale from seclusion that the sun would burn them to death. Last time I was in there I had to maneuver around battleships that they had lined around the carpeting in some strange real-life turn-based wargame. And there's regularly Magic tourneys, D&D sessions, etc.

And a lot of time I only want specific issues. In that sense, a subscription would be more money in the long-run. The only comics I collect regularly (i.e. ASM) I have a subscription to. The rest I read in local bookstores, read about on KMC, or buy individually from the store.

Somehow i have an innate feeling that the 'Turn based ship ' game is Warhammer 40000 Battlefleet Gothic....

Old Post Nov 11th, 2006 04:53 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

I go to my comic shop every week like clockwork, they know me there.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Nov 11th, 2006 05:22 PM
Juntai is online now! Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snoopdogg
Big Pimpin

I used to get all of my comics via subrscription but the U.S. postal service kept bending my comics and p!ssing me off. I even complained numerous times but nothing changed so now I go to the comic shop and have him pull the issue I want every month. Plus he give me 10% off cover price if I get over 5 issues a month.

"I am not afraid of the dark the dark's afraid of me"

Old Post Nov 11th, 2006 06:10 PM
snoopdogg is currently offline Click here to Send snoopdogg a Private Message Find more posts by snoopdogg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NiņoAraņa
Bang Bang

Originally posted by Juntai
I go to my comic shop every week like clockwork, they know me there.
me too more or less......going there this afternoon yes

Sigs W/L/T 1/6/0 AMC

Old Post Nov 11th, 2006 06:28 PM
NiņoAraņa is currently offline Click here to Send NiņoAraņa a Private Message Find more posts by NiņoAraņa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote