KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Most offensive comic characters names!

Most offensive comic characters names!
Started by: By Crom!

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Whirly
Restricted

Account Restricted

Most offensive comic characters names!

If you are Jewish I suspect it's Holocaust.

Can anyone think of a more offensively named comic character and if so why?

Arse-face from the Preacher I thought was funny rather than offensive.

I left on my own terms, as I always should have smile rock
If I ever want to return I will, keep the faith my friends, sometimes i'll look in.

herd behavior is a comical thing.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 11:47 AM
Whirly is currently offline Click here to Send Whirly a Private Message Find more posts by Whirly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kallark-Kent
Symbiote

Crossbones. Because I'm a pirate.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility
Arcade Mountain: The Best Arcade About

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 12:37 PM
Kallark-Kent is currently offline Click here to Send Kallark-Kent a Private Message Find more posts by Kallark-Kent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Captain ##### from next-wave, his actual super-hero name is an expletive.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 01:25 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

quote: (post)
Originally posted by grey fox
Captain ##### from next-wave, his actual super-hero name is an expletive.

Captain what? Can you PM me the complete name or what was his first appearance? The cover the second part of his name on Google and Wiki!

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 02:02 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Originally posted by Darth Vicious
Captain what? Can you PM me the complete name or what was his first appearance? The cover the second part of his name on Google and Wiki!

They never actualy tell you what his name is.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 02:32 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

Oh ok, thanks.

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 05:00 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

I doubt any/many people would think Holocaust was an offensive name.

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 06:50 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Whirly
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Scoobless
I doubt any/many people would think Holocaust was an offensive name.

Well a lot of people thought both "Joy Division" and "New Order" were for pop groups, I think Holocaust is more graphic.

If I ever want to return I will, keep the faith my friends, sometimes i'll look in.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 07:30 PM
Whirly is currently offline Click here to Send Whirly a Private Message Find more posts by Whirly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Fake Macoy
Lousy Imitation

Richard Ryder or Nova. Guess why! (Since Holocaust was already posted, this is my backup).

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 07:49 PM
The Fake Macoy is currently offline Click here to Send The Fake Macoy a Private Message Find more posts by The Fake Macoy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

Well, they went through some shit with Holocaust. First he was Nemesis, then they renamed him Holocaust when he got his containment armor. I don't have a problem with that name, the guy was a homicidal maniac. At least he died well.

My pick: Squirrel Girl. laughing

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 07:53 PM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

Re: Most offensive comic characters names!

Originally posted by By Crom!
If you are Jewish I suspect it's Holocaust.

Can anyone think of a more offensively named comic character and if so why?

Give me a break. If you are offended by that, then go hide in a closet somewhere or get some therapy for by hyper sensitve.

The character's name "Holocaust" obviously refers to the meanings of the word holocaust such as:
- a great or complete devastation or destruction, esp. by fire
or
- a sacrifice completely consumed by fire; burnt offering (because Holocaust’s skin and vital organs are completely burned away)

It is no reference the holocaust and anyone who thinks so is either ignorant, or so over sensitive that they should be embarrassed.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 08:11 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kid Kurdy

Re: Re: Most offensive comic characters names!

Originally posted by KharmaDog
It is no reference the holocaust and anyone who thinks so is either ignorant, or so over sensitive that they should be embarrassed.

Maybe you don't realize it, but the overwhelming majority of men and women will automatically think of "The" holocaust during WW II when they hear or read the word "Holocaust", only a few people will realize that the word also has another meaning.

I know the comic character's name is no reference, but it's normal that people think of the massacre during WW II.

The name has a big impact.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 08:22 PM
Kid Kurdy is currently offline Click here to Send Kid Kurdy a Private Message Find more posts by Kid Kurdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Whirly
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Most offensive comic characters names!

Give me a break. If you are offended by that, then go hide in a closet somewhere or get some therapy for by hyper sensitve.

The character's name "Holocaust" obviously refers to the meanings of the word holocaust such as:
- a great or complete devastation or destruction, esp. by fire
or
- a sacrifice completely consumed by fire; burnt offering (because Holocaust’s skin and vital organs are completely burned away)

I'll give you a break, and I didn't say I was offended by it. I just said it could be considered offensive.

smile

It's all about Karma.... Dog!

No embarrassment here.

By Crom!

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 08:23 PM
Whirly
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Most offensive comic characters names!

Originally posted by Kid Kurdy
Maybe you don't realize it, but the overwhelming majority of men and women will automatically think of "The" holocaust during WW II when they hear or read the word "Holocaust", only a few people will realize that the word also has another meaning.

I know the comic character's name is no reference, but it's normal that people think of the massacre during WW II.

Exactly.

smile

By Crom!

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 08:23 PM
Badabing
Karen

Captain America. He should be a 5 star general by now! mad mad

stick out tongue

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 08:56 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Whirly
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Badabing
Captain America. He should be a 5 star general by now! mad mad

stick out tongue

He did stand for President, long ago.

By Crom!

smile

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 08:58 PM
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

Re: Re: Re: Most offensive comic characters names!

Then the offence is more because people are uneducated as to the meaning of the word then the word itself.

I disagree that it's normal.

The name does't have impact. If the character were called THE HOLOCAUST, that would have impact.

Originally posted by By Crom!
I'll give you a break, and I didn't say I was offended by it. I just said it could be considered offensive.

My bad, I see your point. I guess one could say it could be considered offensive. My apologies. But those offended are the one's who most bother me.

Good to see you have a sense of humor though.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 09:05 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Whirly
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Re: Most offensive comic characters names!

My bad, I see your point. I guess one could say it could be considered offensive. My apologies. But those offended are the one's who most bother me.

smile Good to see you get "it".

By Crom!

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 09:10 PM
tsilamini

Then the offence is more because people are uneducated as to the meaning of the word then the word itself.

I disagree that it's normal.

The name does't have impact. If the character were called THE HOLOCAUST, that would have impact.

If you really believe any of that, name your child Adolf stick out tongue

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 09:36 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kid Kurdy

You just don't get it.

The meaning of the word "Holocaust" has changed. That's a fact and it's not up for debate.

A language is a living thing. Sometimes new words are born, and sometimes old words die. And sometimes the meaning of a word changes.

For example : Holocaust. Ask 100 people what they are thinking of when you mention the word holocaust, and almost everybody will say something about WW II.

Type in holocaust in Google, and see what you find : WW II.

Being uneducated has nothing to do with it.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2007 09:36 PM
Kid Kurdy is currently offline Click here to Send Kid Kurdy a Private Message Find more posts by Kid Kurdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote