KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » DCU gets remade - all books are #1s, Geoff Johns and Jim Lee on Justice League, more

DCU gets remade - all books are #1s, Geoff Johns and Jim Lee on Justice League, more
Started by: Philosophía

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (367): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

DCU gets remade - all books are #1s, Geoff Johns and Jim Lee on Justice League, more

Geezus.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/0...l-distribution/

Important part:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics...reinvents_n.htm

quote:
"We looked at what was going on in the marketplace and felt we really want to inject new life in our characters and line," says Dan DiDio, who co-publishes DC with Lee. "This was a chance to start, not at the beginning, but at a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience."

(please log in to view the image)

I notice a slight costume change for Superman - but expect that and the age as just the beginning.

Crisis on Infinite Earths type of reboot. Just damn. This could be great.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post May 31st, 2011 08:43 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Philosophía
Geezus.

Important part:

I notice a slight costume change for Superman - but expect that and the age as just the beginning.

no expression

I don't even...what the hell?

I like Geoff Johns as a writer and all, but no, I don't want to see him helming the JLA - admittedly, JLA can't get much worse than it is now under Robinson - and everything else he's likely going to be handling such as Green Lantern and Aquaman. Rebooting all the books to #1 is ridiculous, imo to say nothing of trying to reset the DCU. Again.

Last edited by JakeTheBank on May 31st, 2011 at 08:51 PM

Old Post May 31st, 2011 08:46 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackZero30x
Jack

i knew of this awhile ago so i went and asked my local comic shop they said that when something like this happens the company has to notify its retailers...and they were not notified so it is just a not gonna happen im told. they went on to say maybe a few books might but it's really doubtful.

BlackZero30X:The Signatures XBL Gamertag

Old Post May 31st, 2011 08:52 PM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
no expression

I don't even...what the hell?

I like Geoff Johns as a writer and all, but no, I don't want to see him helming the JLA - admittedly, JLA can't get much worse than it is now under Robinson - and everything else he's likely going to be handling such as Green Lantern and Aquaman. Rebooting all the books to #1 is ridiculous, imo to say nothing of trying to reset the DCU. Again.
Geoff Johns and Jim Lee are exactly what the Justice League needs. The book has been terrible for quite a while, and it needs the attentiond and quality (no matter what complaints you may have about Geoff Johns and his portrayal of some characters) that it deserves.

Besides Batman (Grant Morrison), Green Lantern (Geoff Johns) and arguably Flash (who hasn't really gotten that great reception, even if the sales were there), the DCU has been in a terrible state. Superman was in a terrible state. Wonder Woman was in a terrible state. The Teen Titans and Jsa franchises were in a terrible state.

If handled right, this is just what the DCU needs, imo.

Old Post May 31st, 2011 08:58 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote:
"This was a chance to start, not at the beginning, but at a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience."

That is utterly ridiculous. If I wanted to read about teenage characters, I'd start buying Teen Titans. Imo, if DC wants to start boosting sales, they need to start writing better stories... Don't revamp the entire friggin' company just to cater to younger/brand new readers.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on May 31st, 2011 at 09:06 PM

Old Post May 31st, 2011 09:03 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Geoff Johns and Jim Lee are exactly what the Justice League needs. The book has been terrible for quite a while, and it needs the attentiond and quality (no matter what complaints you may have about Geoff Johns and his portrayal of some characters) that it deserves.

Besides Batman (Grant Morrison), Green Lantern (Geoff Johns) and arguably Flash (who hasn't really gotten that great reception, even if the sales were there), the DCU has been in a terrible state. Superman was in a terrible state. Wonder Woman was in a terrible state. The Teen Titans and Jsa franchises were in a terrible state.

If handled right, this is just what the DCU needs, imo.

I think Johns and Lee on a JL/JLA title would be good for the title and sales, as they are both talented creators in their own right, but I really don't think a massive retcon, if that is what they're planning on doing through Flashpoint, is the answer for DC. Using events as a vehicle to undo or "fix" storyline elements on such a massive scale is something DC has done several times over in the past, and I feel they should go about it a different way.

I'll reserve final judgment once its revealed how much and how far this reboot goes; I for one, don't want the DCU to be warped back to "Year 1" status and just undo decades worth of stories again only to rehash them for a "modern" audience/fanbase.

"If handled right" is the key, all in all.

Old Post May 31st, 2011 09:08 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Originally posted by Galan007
If I wanted to read about teenage characters
They never said that. Clark/Bruce are by now, in their mid thirties at least. They'll likely make them year 3-4 Superman/Batman and Justice League, which is good.

Old Post May 31st, 2011 09:09 PM
Q99

I like that I follow indy books more than DC ones.

Though as I don't currently like a lot of the DC books, this may end up suiting me.

Old Post May 31st, 2011 09:20 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

just do not affect batman or their titles otherwise i will buy

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post May 31st, 2011 09:21 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

So we're probably going to have Pre-COIE, Post-COIE, Post-Infinite Crisis, and now, Post-Flashpoint canon to sort out? To say nothing of the multiverse, which could possibly be altered or done away with altogether. I just feel that they could have very easily done what they want to do through the Earth-1 graphic novels, which was the whole point of them being introduced: DC's iconic characters set in a "contemporary" and easy accessible format for new readers or people who have had next to no exposure to the characters until now.

They really don't need to reboot the entire universe when it's just far easier to pen better stories that will engage readers. Hell, they could just make a pseudo-"ultimate DC" line of books if they were that concerned about getting new readers on board with "fresh" takes on their characters.

Last edited by JakeTheBank on May 31st, 2011 at 09:29 PM

Old Post May 31st, 2011 09:23 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by PhilosophÃ_a
They never said that. Clark/Bruce are by now, in their mid thirties at least. They'll likely make them year 3-4 Superman/Batman and Justice League, which is good.
I still don't like the fact that they are going back to [near] the beginning. I feel it's an unneeded change.

Hell, they could just make a pseudo-"ultimate DC" line of books if they were that concerned about getting new readers on board with "fresh" takes on their characters.
I've been saying that for a LONG time. Don't just talk about multiple universes. Use them.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post May 31st, 2011 09:32 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

I hope to God this only just feels like Heroes Reborn.

Old Post May 31st, 2011 09:35 PM
ares834

Well it seems Final Crisis was aptly named...

I’m cautiously optimistic. Geoff Johns and Jim Lee working on JLA is a recipe for success. And frankly most DC comics have been rather shitty lately only Batman, Green Lantern, and Flash have had good comics recently. My big question is what is Grant Morrison going to work on? Hopefully he’ll work on Superman.

But, yeah, and "Ultimate" line for DC would make more sense than an entire reboot...

Old Post May 31st, 2011 11:06 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

I like this news. DC needs this.

Old Post May 31st, 2011 11:11 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kevdude
The Hooded Man

Yeah hope this works out for them! Maybe Barbara will come back as Batgirl now!

The Word

Old Post May 31st, 2011 11:18 PM
kevdude is currently offline Click here to Send kevdude a Private Message Find more posts by kevdude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Originally posted by kevdude
Yeah hope this works out for them! Maybe Barbara will come back as Batgirl now!

With all due respect, I feel that Babs as Oracle offered a great deal more to the Bat mythos and DCU as a whole than she did as Batgirl. She's also one of the most prominent disabled characters in comics and to my knowledge one of the few disabled women at that.

Old Post May 31st, 2011 11:23 PM
kevdude
The Hooded Man

With all due respect, I feel that Babs as Oracle offered a great deal more to the Bat mythos and DCU as a whole than she did as Batgirl. She's also one of the most prominent disabled characters in comics and to my knowledge one of the few disabled women at that.

Ah yes, I can see that side. She offers a lot as Oracle. smokin'

The Word

Old Post May 31st, 2011 11:43 PM
kevdude is currently offline Click here to Send kevdude a Private Message Find more posts by kevdude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Frankly, it's been a couple years since the entire multiverse has been rebooted. Clearly DC is due for this long-needed change.

no expression

Old Post May 31st, 2011 11:45 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

We don't know the full details, so it could or could not be the entire multiverse.

Old Post May 31st, 2011 11:49 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Geezus.

Important part:

I was told this a while back at my comic store. But they thought it was going to be alternate universe, more like Marvel's Ultimate Universe.

I don't mind change but how many times is DC going to do this?
Originally posted by Digi
Frankly, it's been a couple years since the entire multiverse has been rebooted. Clearly DC is due for this long-needed change.

no expression
Agreed.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post May 31st, 2011 11:50 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote