KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » 5 Essential Monthly Buys

5 Essential Monthly Buys
Started by: Doc Potato

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kovacs86

5 Essential Monthly Buys

SO, I just discovered a comic shop about a 20 minute train journey form me Happy Dance so I finally have access to comics. I've already got the Face the Face TPB and the first 3 "...and son" parts from Batman. Also got some GL and GLC, and the last JSA arc. So, what should I get as a real essential from Marvel and DC?

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Oct 28th, 2006 07:07 PM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Girls by image

Old Post Oct 28th, 2006 07:26 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

UH huh... I'll have a look...

Old Post Oct 28th, 2006 07:33 PM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

You mostly a DC fan?

Get 52 just due to the importance and because Black Adam is one of the stars, Green Lantern because of the consistant quality, The new arc of Superman will be good [Johns and Kubert], and finally, upcoming JSA. Batman is always good, one of the most consistant characters over the last 20 years, but I find single issues are typically a pain with him, and the hardback/paperbacks always read better..Rush City is a great miniseries so far. JLA is great so far, and I'm sure will only get better. And in an effort to keep character interest alive, I must plug Spectre's Tales of the Unexpected mini going on right now. smile

Marvel?
Civil War maxiseries.
Ultimates ongoing.
When Loeb and Turner take over Ultimate Wolverine, that promises good things.

Wildstorm:
Wildcats, Deathblow and Authority are my current picks, as each are just kicking off, having only 1 issue out each.

Vertigo:
I'm getting Deadman currently, but it's not for the people who like tales of superheroism, which judging from your choices above, is the type of stuff you like.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Oct 28th, 2006 08:01 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Juntai
You mostly a DC fan?

Get 52 just due to the importance and because Black Adam is one of the stars, Green Lantern because of the consistant quality, The new arc of Superman will be good [Johns and Kubert], and finally, upcoming JSA. Batman is always good, one of the most consistant characters over the last 20 years, but I find single issues are typically a pain with him, and the hardback/paperbacks always read better..Rush City is a great miniseries so far. JLA is great so far, and I'm sure will only get better. And in an effort to keep character interest alive, I must plug Spectre's Tales of the Unexpected mini going on right now. smile

Marvel?
Civil War maxiseries.
Ultimates ongoing.
When Loeb and Turner take over Ultimate Wolverine, that promises good things.

Wildstorm:
Wildcats, Deathblow and Authority are my current picks, as each are just kicking off, having only 1 issue out each.

Vertigo:
I'm getting Deadman currently, but it's not for the people who like tales of superheroism, which judging from your choices above, is the type of stuff you like.
Thanks, thats really helpful actually. I'll probably have a look at Authority IF the comic shop gets it... Justice Society of America's coming out in November, is it? Can't wait for that... and I'll have to catch up with 52 as the scans stopped around issue 17/ 18... LOL>... and Spectre always pwns. Thanks for that, Juntai. smile
And as for Ultimates, I'm definitely interested but my only experiences of the Ultimates is in Ultimate Nightmare, so I'll probably just get trades...

Old Post Oct 28th, 2006 08:04 PM
Grimm22
King of the Castle

Green Lantern

Astonishing X-Men

Runaways (usually)

Captain America

and Nextwave big grin

Old Post Oct 28th, 2006 09:14 PM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Adam
Badass from Kahndaq

x-factor.

sig by willRules

Old Post Oct 28th, 2006 09:18 PM
Black Adam is currently offline Click here to Send Black Adam a Private Message Find more posts by Black Adam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

Astonishing X-men
Y-The Last Man(it just enter the las 10 issues tough)
Girls
Civil War
52(even though ull be behind by 25 weeks/issues)
Action Comics #844

and the upcoming Runaways by Wheddon

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Last edited by Darth Vicious on Oct 29th, 2006 at 12:06 AM

Old Post Oct 28th, 2006 11:54 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ExodusCloak

- Astonishing X-Men will blow you away...
-52 obviously...
-Civil War...
-Runaways....
-November (Vulcan vs Gladiator & The Imperial Guard in UXM) I suggest just getting that issue this up coming month..(Uncanny X-Men #480)
-The Authority...

Old Post Oct 29th, 2006 12:21 AM
ExodusCloak is currently offline Click here to Send ExodusCloak a Private Message Find more posts by ExodusCloak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HaSon

Wildstorm:

I would not recommend Wildcats to anyone. Issue 1 just released and #2 was delayed to March.

Jim Lee should stop drawing comics. no expression

Old Post Oct 29th, 2006 12:41 AM
HaSon is currently offline Click here to Send HaSon a Private Message Find more posts by HaSon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega-level

In the order i remember them:

Civil War
Daredevil
X-men
Astonishing X-men
Ultimates

Although the last two shouldn't count as monthlies, i think.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2006 12:49 AM
Omega-level is currently offline Click here to Send Omega-level a Private Message Find more posts by Omega-level Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

Originally posted by Validus
I would not recommend Wildcats to anyone. Issue 1 just released and #2 was delayed to March. I dont think JL should stop drawing since I love his art but rather become more punctual.

sick damn until march! thats ridiculous.

Action Comics #844 which just came out is not only written by Geoff Johns but drwan by one of the top artists out there, Adam Kubert. It tells the story of another space ship landing on earth with a kryptonian boy and it landed in the middle of Metropolis, Now everyone wants this boy. (Sorry, didnt elaborate earlier on the issue)

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2006 12:49 AM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HaSon

Green Lantern
Runaways
Astonishing X-Men
Teen Titans
Captain America

Those are probably my current favorite monthlies. Justice Society of America will be the best team book on the market when it launches. I'm also going to plug Supergirl & The Legion since Mon-El is finally back and Supergirl is a likable character in that book.

For bi monthly books it's The Authority and Justice. Then there are the books that are supposed to be bi monthly but are more like a quarterly such as The Ultimates, Wonder Woman, and the biannual Wildcats (damn Jim Lee).

Old Post Oct 29th, 2006 01:00 AM
HaSon is currently offline Click here to Send HaSon a Private Message Find more posts by HaSon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil Lance
DL

Green Lantern
Runaways
Astonishing X-Men
Teen Titans
Captain America

Those are probably my current favorite monthlies. Justice Society of America will be the best team book on the market when it launches. I'm also going to plug Supergirl & The Legion since Mon-El is finally back and Supergirl is a likable character in that book.

For bi monthly books it's The Authority and Justice. Then there are the books that are supposed to be bi monthly but are more like a quarterly such as The Ultimates, Wonder Woman, and the biannual Wildcats (damn Jim Lee).

You don't like secret six ? confused
that book is funny

Old Post Oct 29th, 2006 02:46 AM
Devil Lance is currently offline Click here to Send Devil Lance a Private Message Find more posts by Devil Lance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

I would not recommend Wildcats to anyone. Issue 1 just released and #2 was delayed to March.

Yeah, the quality of the title should still be top notch when it comes out though.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Oct 29th, 2006 03:03 AM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kallark-Kent
Symbiote

Mufassa is looking promising.

But seriously my picks have been said.

Civil War
Astonishing X-Men
Ultimates pleases.
Green Lantern.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility
Arcade Mountain: The Best Arcade About

Old Post Oct 29th, 2006 10:54 AM
Kallark-Kent is currently offline Click here to Send Kallark-Kent a Private Message Find more posts by Kallark-Kent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jumpmann
Glower of Eyes

Astonishing X-men
Runaways
Y: Last Man
Fables is the absolute best monthly book that no one knows about apparently
Daredevil
Captain America
Ex Machina
All Star Superman(tri monthly lol)
Ultimate Spiderman has gotten back on track again

I tend to get these before I consider anything else.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2006 09:16 PM
jumpmann is currently offline Click here to Send jumpmann a Private Message Find more posts by jumpmann Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grimm22
King of the Castle

I don't even think he is drawing the comics 90% of the time, I guess DC just pays him to lounge around all day stick out tongue

That and all of this books right now are crap sick

Old Post Oct 29th, 2006 10:30 PM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grimm22
King of the Castle

Originally posted by Darth Vicious
sick damn until march! thats ridiculous.

Action Comics #844 which just came out is not only written by Geoff Johns but drwan by one of the top artists out there, Adam Kubert. It tells the story of another space ship landing on earth with a kryptonian boy and it landed in the middle of Metropolis, Now everyone wants this boy. (Sorry, didnt elaborate earlier on the issue)

Action Comics was an overhyped piece of garbage no expression

It was completely predictible and the everything about it just screamed, meh.

I was VERY dissapointed considering it was from Geoff Johns

Old Post Oct 29th, 2006 10:32 PM
HaSon

Yeah, the quality of the title should still be top notch when it comes out though.

But who wants to wait 5 month in between issues when you can read it better in TPB format?

Old Post Oct 29th, 2006 11:21 PM