KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » ROTJ - George missed this one !

ROTJ - George missed this one !
Started by: Gundark

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Gundark
Mayhem

ROTJ - George missed this one !

I was re-reading the ROTJ novel over the weekend and at the end when Luke unmasks his dying father, one of Vader's thoughts is expressed...(He wished, briefly, he'd met Yoda, to thank the old Jedi for the training he'd given Luke...but perhaps he'd be with Yoda soon, now, in the ethereal oneness of the Force. And with Obi-Wan.)

HAH !!! I'm not saying the novels ever were canon, but GL has to approve of all the story lines and this one definately does not concur with the PT at all !! smokin'

Old Post Jan 16th, 2001 05:40 PM
Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Heinous

Re: HTTE - Tim and Tom missed this one !

In Heir To The Empire, Ben tells Luke "The Emperor is gone, but the Dark Side is still powerful." Darth Sidious/Palpatine (clone) was alive and well since Heir To The Empire takes place one year before Dark Empire.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2001 07:25 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jedimaster3838

Yeah, in the ROTJ novel Palpatine and Vader both act as if they don't know who Yoda is, other than the fact that he trained Luke. You'd think he would be the Jedi that they most wanted to destroy. I guess that Yoda makes them believe that he died somehow.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2001 01:04 AM
Gundark
Mayhem

Yeah, I guess we might find that out in ep2 or 3.

You know the other thing that bugs me (among other things I have harped on in other posts) about the ROTJ movie and book is..okay, the Emporer is ripping into Luke with force lightning for like, I don't know...maybe 3-5 minutes ? I am just guessing here, but lets face it, it was brutal. And Luke just gets up after Vader disposes of the Emporer like nothing ever happened. I think that was extremely weak and unbelieveable on GL's part. I think Luke would have had some kind of injuries after all that (which I dutifully added to JM's "What if" topic in role playing). Yes, I know the Force is used for healing, but over time. I think the whole thing was ridiculous.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2001 02:46 AM
Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Heinous

The novelizations . . .

The Return Of The Jedi novelization was written by James Kahn, NOT George Lucas. George only wrote Star Wars: From The Adventures Of Luke Skywalker (aka: Star Wars Episode 4 A New Hope). Donald Glut wrote The Empire Strikes Back novelization, while Terry Brooks wrote The Phantom Menace novelization. Because the Episode 1,5 and 6 novelizations were written by other authors, there will be a few minor differences. I personally don't think it's worth arguing about.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2001 05:13 AM
Gundark
Mayhem

Re: The novelizations . . .

Well, DH, I know ROTJ wasn't written by GL, but he still has to approve of the general storyline in every SW novel. AND he didn't direct ROTJ, but I still felt the force lightning scene was dealt with too lightly. IMHO OC. smile

Old Post Jan 17th, 2001 09:34 PM
Ratcat

The authors get some licence to be creative and to also use material that may well end up on the cutting room floor in the movie. Those are the perils of parallel movbie making and screenplay adaptation.

I understood, though I may be worng, that George Lucas has final approval on storylines, and that for the novelisations of the movies he has to OK them beofre they go to print.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2001 04:56 AM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theEvilJedi

And don't forget Epi.II's author, R.A. Salvatore.smile

Obi-Wan Kenobi: (Looks up at his chains) "Good job!"

Old Post Jan 19th, 2001 05:33 AM
Click here to Send theEvilJedi a Private Message Find more posts by theEvilJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

What's the name of the book between ep1 and ep2 ? I forgot and I wanna go buy it this weekend.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2001 08:13 PM
Jedimaster3838

Its called Rogue Planet and was written by Greg Bear. Its a decent book, not the best, but the author didn't have a lotta room to be creative, he has no idea what happens in the next movie. But it is kinda interesting

Old Post Jan 19th, 2001 09:30 PM
theEvilJedi

It was too boring for me and I eventually stopped reading it. It is now on my shelf gathering dust.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2001 05:18 AM
Click here to Send theEvilJedi a Private Message Find more posts by theEvilJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

Okay, it appears we have 2 schools of thought on this book. Well, I can probably pick it up at the paperback trade for $1.00, so I'll let you know what I think of it....smile Thanks, guys. smile

Old Post Jan 20th, 2001 08:29 AM
Coreworld

Dull planet

Gotta agree with Eviljedi, this book is not the greatest and it was a real struggle to reach the end, (i'm having a similar problem with Balance point by Kathy Tyers, but ....that's another story) The inclusion of Tarkin was a good idea and also the shaded reference to the Yuuzhan Vong, neat tie-in! BTW did you know that it was actually Alan Dean Foster, the author of Splinter of the mind's eye,(and, if rumour is to be believed the novel of Episode III) not GL, who wrote the Star Wars: A New Hope novelisation

Old Post Jan 21st, 2001 12:36 AM
Click here to Send Coreworld a Private Message Find more posts by Coreworld Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UnknownBountyHunter

Re: Dull planet

Wow, a new member! smile Welcome COREWORLD! smile

Old Post Jan 21st, 2001 11:30 PM
Click here to Send UnknownBountyHunter a Private Message Find more posts by UnknownBountyHunter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Coreworld

Thanks for the welcome, UnknownBountyHunter! I saw the Eviljedi's message in the Virtual Edition and decided to amble on over....Impressive, most impressive.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2001 03:00 AM
Click here to Send Coreworld a Private Message Find more posts by Coreworld Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

Welcome, COREWORLD...Close the blast doors behind you. smile

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2001 05:44 AM
theEvilJedi

Really, Core? I thought that got deleted.roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2001 09:41 AM
JediOasis
Better Man

CW, you have to read all of BP, the ending is VERY good. I'll get it to you that it starts kinda slow, but it'll pick up eventually.

"I loved it the first time I saw it. It's goodies and baddies, cowboys and Indians in space. I was a child when it came out and it still appeals to me now. It is one of my favourite films ever and Darth Vader is best."
-Noel Gallagher

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2001 12:49 PM
Click here to Send JediOasis a Private Message Find more posts by JediOasis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Coreworld

What a welcome

Well thanks to everyone for the welcome! I look forward to some great speculation on what i'm sure will be the biggest and best yet Star Wars adventure (This one will shut the critics up, of that i'm certain!) JediOasis, after biting the bullet and delving into BP, you're right, it is getting a LOT better.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2001 03:56 AM
Zareil

Re: What a welcome

Hmm this highlights that I haven't exactly been welcomed into the fold.. Oh well as I was going to say anyway, perhaps its not that Sidious and Vader didn't know of Yoda, but rather they just saw him as being of little consequence, especially given his age they probably didn't see him about to rush into battle against them

Old Post Mar 16th, 2001 07:36 PM