KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » PIS Consistency vs Common Sense

Consistancy vs Common Sense
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
I'm for what's shown to be true, time and time again. 5 38.46%
I prefer to rely on common sense to tell me what's BS. 8 61.54%
Total: 13 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PIS Consistency vs Common Sense
Started by: darthgoober

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
darthgoober

PIS Consistency vs Common Sense

Ok, I figured this topic was LONG over due to be discussed. PIS, should it be dictated by consistency, or common sense? For instance, Flash has a hard time with people WAY slower than he frequently in his books. Wolverine has continually showed the ability to cut/stab many characters with an INSANE level of durability, and takes shots from 100+ characters routinly. Deathstroke has been taking it to the Teen Titans(including FLash) since his introduction. Batman has managed to sneak up on Superman God only knows how many times. And, whether we like it or not, Spiderman has managed to take on(and take shots from) way more herald level characters than just Firelord(like Hulk, Masterson Thor, Silver Surfer, Juggernaut, Absorbing Man). Now forum rules say, that we disregard PIS and SMvF, and go by the high end showings. But what happens when the rules come into conflict(for instance, SMvF can't really be considered as such at this point, because he's taken on herald level characters consistently, and under different writers).

We're also supposed to go by high end feats, but who's? Wolverine taking on Namor, is a high end feat for him, but a low end feat for Namor? So in a thread between the two, which end are we supposed to go by? Daredevil being able to take on Spidey is also a high end feat for him, but a low end for Spidey. So which feats should be considered valid?

Thoughts?

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 02:15 AM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Pict
Defender Of The Faith

It the end I suppose it doesn't matter if what we think of "PIS" If we don't like it we can stop reading the comics.

Hot sig by Scottie

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 02:25 AM
The Pict is currently offline Click here to Send The Pict a Private Message Find more posts by The Pict Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soljer
Beware my Power

PIS is NOT contingent on consistency. The Flash should NEVER get hit by most of the people that tag him.

Spiderman should NEVER have trouble with someone who lacks superhuman speed.

Wolverine taking shots from class 100 characters isn't much of PIS, though, as he's been doing it since his inception. It's what his character was created to do.

Spiderman dancing around some superior characters using primarily his spider sense is not PIS.

Beating down Firelord with punches, though, was.

It's based off of common sense, for me.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 02:30 AM
Soljer is currently offline Click here to Send Soljer a Private Message Find more posts by Soljer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Pict
It the end I suppose it doesn't matter if what we think of "PIS" If we don't like it we can stop reading the comics.

Yes, but debates on the forum ALWAYS end up being about whether or not specific events should qualify as PIS. So I figured that it would be good to get everyone's feelings out into the open about what should qualify as such.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 02:31 AM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

I like to use common sense and then average out a character from all their showings.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 02:35 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

It actually says in the forum rules PIS is not contingent on consistency.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 02:39 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Originally posted by Soljer
Wolverine taking shots from class 100 characters isn't much of PIS, though, as he's been doing it since his inception. It's what his character was created to do.

Yes, was created to take on 100+ character, but the same way Spiderman does. Through superior speed and agility. In Wolverine's first appearance(well technically second, cause the fight carried over a book), he was KO'd by a single GRAZING blow by the Hulk. THAT'S how he was meant to be.

Last edited by darthgoober on Nov 27th, 2006 at 02:43 AM

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 02:40 AM
darthgoober

Originally posted by xmarksthespot
It actually says in the forum rules PIS is not contingent on consistency.

But SMvF IS. And the to are often considered interchangeable.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 02:43 AM
Badabing
Karen

I think the best thing for us is to decide for ourselves. Most of the time, the KMCers can decide as a collective what's BS and what's not BS. We'll always have rabid fans who disagree but that's a way of life here.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 02:45 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jrodslam

I think if something is shown by a character on a consistant basis(7/10 times), i wouldnt call PIS at all. I try to go with whats more consistant.

Daredevil Respect Thread - Iceman Respect Thread - Nick Fury Respect Thread - Respect Strong Guy!

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 02:54 AM
jrodslam is currently offline Click here to Send jrodslam a Private Message Find more posts by jrodslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Originally posted by jrodslam
I think if something is shown by a character on a consistant basis(7/10 times), i wouldnt call PIS at all. I try to go with whats more consistant.

Yes, but Flash's slow ass villians give him a good fight just about every book. And Supes NEVER uses his speed unless the opponent can take it.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 02:57 AM
jrodslam

Originally posted by darthgoober
Yes, but Flash's slow ass villians give him a good fight just about every book. And Supes NEVER uses his speed unless the opponent can take it.

True, but you have to think about what it is that they do. Many times they catch Flash off guard. We also know that Flash is cocky and usually underestimates and thats why his ass gets tagged. Should it happen? No. I guess thats why here on the forum, we put everyone at a bloodlusted level. BUT in character at the same time.

Daredevil Respect Thread - Iceman Respect Thread - Nick Fury Respect Thread - Respect Strong Guy!

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 03:02 AM
jrodslam is currently offline Click here to Send jrodslam a Private Message Find more posts by jrodslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Accel

It really comes down to how you view it. If we base Flash's abilities off of his greatest showings, then it would be PIS whenever even some one as fast as Superman tagged him.

However, if we went by average showings, then Flash's highest showings would be just that- high showings- and not really an indication of how fast he generally is (at least not right off the bat).

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 03:05 AM
Accel is currently offline Click here to Send Accel a Private Message Find more posts by Accel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Originally posted by Accel
It really comes down to how you view it. If we base Flash's abilities off of his greatest showings, then it would be PIS whenever even some one as fast as Superman tagged him.

However, if we went by average showings, then Flash's highest showings would be just that- high showings- and not really an indication of how fast he generally is (at least not right off the bat).

See, I'm actually a big fan of average showings, but whenever you try to bring those up around here, people always start ranting "We go by the high end feats!(at least as far as our favorite character is concerned)". Which brings up the question, who's high end showings? Wolverine or Namor's? Spiderman's or Firelords? Batman's stealth or Supes hearing?

Last edited by darthgoober on Nov 27th, 2006 at 03:15 AM

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 03:11 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

True, but you have to think about what it is that they do. Many times they catch Flash off guard. We also know that Flash is cocky and usually underestimates and thats why his ass gets tagged. Should it happen? No. I guess thats why here on the forum, we put everyone at a bloodlusted level. BUT in character at the same time.

He's not cocky, he's impulsive (wally anyway), especially before the crisis... its his urgency to protect those around him that gets him hurt... messed

(sorry, i just hate it when people call him cocky embarrasment)

Originally posted by Accel

thats true... its a fine line trying to decide whats PIS and what isn't... common sense says that deathstroke could never touch flash (given that nightwing can challenge him, and no disrespect to him), but then the comic gives some answer that while being seemingly bullshit, looking at it from another angle can show another worthy point of view...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 03:12 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jrodslam

Originally posted by darthgoober
See, I'm actually a big fan of average showings, but whenever you try to bring those up around here, people always start ranting "We go by the high end feats!(at least as far as our favorite character is concerned)". Which brings up the question, who's high end showings? Wolverine or Namor's? Spiderman's or Firelords? Batman's stealth or Supes hearing?

Ahh you see. Thats always gonna be a problem if people look at it like that. Whos high end showings? When you have say Hulk vs Namor, going by high showings, Hulk will always have them over Namor, but when they fight its always a good fight. Hulk even loses at times. Then youll have Wonder Woman vs Juggernaut. Juggy is said to be as strong as Hulk or Supes, yet he hardly has any feats to show for it. We make exceptions for certain people. Thats why i go more by what is consistantly shown in battles instead of individual feats.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 03:20 AM
jrodslam

Originally posted by pr1983
He's not cocky, he's impulsive (wally anyway), especially before the crisis... its his urgency to protect those around him that gets him hurt... messed

(sorry, i just hate it when people call him cocky embarrasment)

Youre right. Wrong choice of words on my part. Impulsive and sometimes loses focus and underestimates his opponent to a degree at times.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 03:23 AM
Soljer
Beware my Power

Wally isn't impulsive. That was Bart.

Yeah, yeah, bad pun on my part.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 03:26 AM
Soljer is currently offline Click here to Send Soljer a Private Message Find more posts by Soljer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Youre right. Wrong choice of words on my part. Impulsive and sometimes loses focus and underestimates his opponent to a degree at times.

i'm sorry for flying off the handle like that... embarrasment

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Last edited by -Pr- on Nov 27th, 2006 at 03:30 AM

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 03:28 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jrodslam

Originally posted by Soljer
Wally isn't impulsive. That was Bart.

Yeah, yeah, bad pun on my part.

Actually Wally was impulsive as well a bit. Very impatient and that got him in trouble many a times. Hes had to stop and think about what hes gonna do after the first try slaps him in the face.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 03:29 AM