KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Smokin' Aces

Smokin' Aces
Started by: Grimm22

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Grimm22
King of the Castle

Smokin' Aces

What a great movie. I just saw it tonight and I have to say its one of the better movies I've seen in the past couple years.

I highly recommend it to anyone who hates Ben Affleck (Spoiler stick out tongue)

Old Post Jan 28th, 2007 05:07 AM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

It was definitely entertaining but far from one of the best in the last couple of years. Its definitely one for the fans of violence. Kind of a poor man's Tarantino film.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2007 05:52 AM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

The only interest I have in this movie is to see Jeremy Piven, so Ill probably just wait for the dvd. But its good to hear that its decent.

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2007 06:00 AM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grimm22
King of the Castle

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Myth
It was definitely entertaining but far from one of the best in the last couple of years. Its definitely one for the fans of violence. Kind of a poor man's Tarantino film.

I never have liked Tarantino's films. Thats just me though

The only part that I wasn't a huge fan of was the ending. It was good, but it just kind of confused me a bit

Old Post Jan 28th, 2007 07:31 AM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

Yeah I agree with Myth, it looks like a gonzo violence movie. Not a whole lot of substance, but it looks like a lot of fun.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2007 08:29 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Grimm22

The only part that I wasn't a huge fan of was the ending. It was good, but it just kind of confused me a bit

The ending was the only the only part that made the story seem halfway intelligent. I can see how it could be confusing, but it really made it so it wasn't 'completely' mindless entertainment.

On top of the fun violence, other aspects of the movie that made it worth my time include funny dialog, cool scene transitions, and a good soundtrack to accompany the action.

As for my QT comparison, the movie is like a cross between Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill, but not done quite as well as either.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2007 09:41 AM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

smokin' pole

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Jan 28th, 2007 11:44 AM
ToMacco is currently offline Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Mark Kermode thinks it's a pile of shit, and he usually knows his stuff. Excluding his opinion on Borat...

I think I'll give it a miss.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2007 02:50 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

Looks like a Guy Ritchie movie, to be honest. Will check it out when it jumps into DVD form.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2007 03:01 PM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

A lot of people have been comparing it to the tragedy that is "The Boondock Saints". Thus, I'll just wait for the DVD.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2007 05:44 PM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Its much faster paced than Boondock Saints (not as good though) and same with Guy Ritchie's films (or at least Lock Stock and Snatch).

As for critics, most wouldn't like it because there is just too much violence, the story isn't really strong, and the characters are pretty shallow. Still, very entertaining.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2007 10:05 PM
axelsanx

Smile Smok'in Aces

I liked "Smok'in Aces". I wasn't sure if I was going to like it or not, but in the end it was very Entertaining. For some reason, the 'over-the-top' characters worked. The movie was not unlike a graphic comic novel brought to the screen. Some people might not like it because of this, but you cannot please everyone.
There was some smart foreshadowing, which gave clues for the end surprise. Well, I saw them and figured out about half of the surprise. I was also surprised by the emotional elements brought into the movie. Grief and betrayal were common themes for more than one character.
It was the best work to date for Ryan Reynonds, who should have gotten a higher billing on this movie. It might give him a chance for better roles in the future. He has come a long way from Two men and a Girl and "Van Wilder".
Over all, I give it a thumb's up.

Warning: if you do not like blood and over-the-top violence then don't go see it.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2007 11:55 PM
axelsanx is currently offline Click here to Send axelsanx a Private Message Find more posts by axelsanx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fruits
Regenbogenfarben

i really really liked it!!!

i don't think the violence was over the top at all. i dont think it was that bloody either. compared the horror/gore movies that are out right now.

a really good one to see. from the beginning you just know it's gonna build up int somethin good

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 08:02 PM
fruits is currently offline Click here to Send fruits a Private Message Find more posts by fruits Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

This was ****ing awful, Jeremy Piven was the only good thing about it, and he was just playing Ari.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 08:05 PM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lighthammer
Colonial Marine

This film was good. Have to agree with sank, it was alot like a graphic comic book being brought to life. This film was good though not as good as the Boondock Saints, Snatch, or LSATSB. Best performances were Jeremy Pivens, Ben Aflecks(surprisingly), and I don't remember their names but the guys who played the Tremor Brothers, oh man those guys were hilarious.

From the b***s of Hancock's junior's to the shores of misery, we will curse our country's leaders cross the stars on land and sea, first to fight the distant corporate wars, spill our blood for a sheaf of green, we will do or die, we ask not why cuz we're colonial marines!

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 03:02 AM
Lighthammer is currently offline Click here to Send Lighthammer a Private Message Find more posts by Lighthammer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
inspectah

yes sir

yea that movie looks crazy alicia keyz and common and a first time they made a film pretty cool

Old Post Feb 8th, 2007 09:07 PM
inspectah is currently offline Click here to Send inspectah a Private Message Find more posts by inspectah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

I remember when movies could be good and still have a body count.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2007 01:25 AM