KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Project Holocron

Project Holocron
Started by: Gideon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (51): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Project Holocron

As I approach the third anniversary of my membership to KMC forums, I look back and realize that this wasn't a total waste of adolescent time. For those who believe that debating hypothetical battles of Star Wars characters is both pointless and nerdy, I disagree. Objectively speaking, I have grown to be a far greater logician and debater than before my time here, and I have grown to enjoy it more. The purpose of these particular forums at KMC isn't so much to debate Star Wars as it is to practice the application of logic.

My methodology for debates has been inspired by Lightsnake, Advent, Faunus, and, most especially, Publius. Publius's methodology is evident throughout his personal website, and he even has an essay on methodology in the Analysis section that is pretty much the debating gospel. It calls upon the suspension of disbelief and trying to embrace an encompassing look at canon. In laymen's terms, he and I both believe that most statements and events in canon are not thrown in arbitrarily and they are pieces to a great puzzle that somehow fit together.

To this end, I'm starting Project Holocron as a means of collecting our finest debaters and analyzing the relative strengths and capabilities of Star Wars characters through canon. This will not be a versus match or flame fest but a place where we can objectively discuss and compare the known characters to place them in some sort of hierarchy. Will it be official? Probably not. But I think that it will be challenging and interesting and hard to argue against.

If you're interested, let me know.

I would strongly suggest to those who are that you read Publius's essay on methodology.

http://www.domuspublica.net/on_methodology.html

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 06:08 PM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Sounds good to me. I've noticed a steady ascent in logic/common sense and civility recently, so a rather defined hierarchy shouldn't be... too hard to create. I'll read that essay letter when I've time to appreciate it.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 08:11 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tangible God
Sounds good to me. I've noticed a steady ascent in logic/common sense and civility recently, so a rather defined hierarchy shouldn't be... too hard to create. I'll read that essay letter when I've time to appreciate it.

Excellent. Everything is proceeding as I have forseen...

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 08:12 PM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

I'm up for it I guess, although starting Thursday I'm going to be very spotty as far as activity is concerned. But yeah, it sounds like something that we should've come up with years ago.

And Jesus, I joined three years ago?

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 08:33 PM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Faunus
I'm up for it I guess, although starting Thursday I'm going to be very spotty as far as activity is concerned. But yeah, it sounds like something that we should've come up with years ago.

And Jesus, I joined three years ago?

Excellent.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 08:43 PM
Eminence
Boss

That's what she said.

And what exactly does this "project" entail, in your mind?

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 08:50 PM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Elite Hunter

Sounds interesting, I'm in if Master Gideon deems me worthy.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 08:52 PM
Click here to Send Elite Hunter a Private Message Find more posts by Elite Hunter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Crimzon
Baby Killer

Well, if you want me, I'm in. Sounds interesting.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 09:00 PM
Click here to Send Master Crimzon a Private Message Find more posts by Master Crimzon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Both of you are accepted.

This project will entail an analysis from a variety of characters and how strong they truly are. Is NJO Luke untouchable? Is Sidious a Gary Stu? Is Kota stronger than Yoda? Et cetera. Through source material.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 09:04 PM
Master Crimzon
Baby Killer

Yay! :d

So, are we going to crack the whole thing together, or is everyone individual going to be assigned a certain 'case'? And then post their argument on it?

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 09:06 PM
Click here to Send Master Crimzon a Private Message Find more posts by Master Crimzon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Master Crimzon
Yay! :d

So, are we going to crack the whole thing together, or is everyone individual going to be assigned a certain 'case'? And then post their argument on it?

We'll all work on one as a group. And once we have a fair assessment of their power, we'll begin comparisons.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 09:07 PM
Elite Hunter

I say it should be more of group thing for each "case" so we can try and eliminate the biasness we all may have to certain characters, which we all in the end do have some.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 09:08 PM
Click here to Send Elite Hunter a Private Message Find more posts by Elite Hunter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Crimzon
Baby Killer

Sounds cool. Can't wait to start.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 09:12 PM
D-FENS

Interesting and logical debates? I'm in(That is, if you'll accept me).

Retirement from debating has been boring, anyway.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 09:13 PM
Click here to Send D-FENS a Private Message Find more posts by D-FENS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Accepted. And, Elite Hunter, it is a group effort.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 11:30 PM
Lightsnake

I'm up

Old Post Aug 31st, 2008 12:02 AM
Click here to Send Lightsnake a Private Message Find more posts by Lightsnake Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Excellent. So, Project Holocron currently consists of Tangible God, Faunus, Master Crimzon, Elite Hunter, City Hunter, Lightsnake, and myself. A very positive start. The question now becomes: which character would you like to evaluate?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2008 12:04 AM
D-FENS

NJO Luke, He seems to be the one most hyped, next to Palpatine, of course, IMHO.

Though we should make a voting system on which character people want to evaluate first. Seems to me to be the most logical course, at the moment.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2008 12:08 AM
Click here to Send D-FENS a Private Message Find more posts by D-FENS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Perhaps we should analyze them in that order, then? I vote for Luke first and Palpatine second.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2008 12:25 AM
Elite Hunter

Sure I'll vote for Luke too.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2008 12:29 AM