KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Blu-ray Format Discussion

In 10 years, which format will win, if any?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Blu Ray 20 62.50%
HD-DVD 8 25.00%
Hard Drive Storage/Streaming Video 4 12.50%
Total: 32 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Blu-ray Format Discussion
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Impediment
Endless

Blu-Ray/HD-DVD: The Future of Home Viewing?

Blu-ray, also known as Blu-ray Disc (BD) is the name of a next-generation optical disc format jointly developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), a group of the world's leading consumer electronics, personal computer and media manufacturers (including Apple, Dell, Hitachi, HP, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, TDK and Thomson). The format was developed to enable recording, rewriting and playback of high-definition video (HD), as well as storing large amounts of data. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc can hold 25GB, which can be used to record over 2 hours of HDTV or more than 13 hours of standard-definition TV. There are also dual-layer versions of the discs that can hold 50GB. Blu-ray is expected to replace VCRs and DVD recorders with the transition to HDTV over the coming years. The format is also likely to become a standard for PC data storage and HD movies in the future.
That said, who here thinks that this is the definite future of DVD, or just a fad? VHS has been around for 20+ years, and although it is slowly dwindling and dying away, it has had a lengthy run. Why shouldn't DVD have the same? Does this mean that with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD seeping into the format scene, we're gonna have to start all over with our libraries of movies since they won't be the "norm"?

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 08:32 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Regular DVD isn't going anywhere. It's not like it'll be phased out, considering a large percentage of the US alone is just now moving on from VHS. HD-DVD is just a treat for those who can afford it.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 08:41 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

It just worries me that soon all media will be HD, and therefore we'll be forced to buy new products that are compatable, and I don't see any reason to upgrade just yet. Blu-Ray seems like nice idea, but I agree that the public is just now settling into the transition from VHS to DVD.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 08:45 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

I remember an episode of The Simpsons where Homer and Bart are at the dump. They walk past a pile dedicated to BETA tapes. Then a pile of VHS tapes. Then there's a sign "Reserved for DVDs".

Anyway, I hope Blu-Ray will die out with the laser disc.

Logically, I think DVD should live longer than VHS. I never invested into VHS. Movies were eventually going to go to TV which I would would just record onto a blank VHS. I would get the same exact thing and save space because you can fit an average of three movies on one VHS tape. So my store-bought VHS collection consists of about ten movies. However, I've invested a lot into DVDs. Quality, features, etc. has encouraged me to. If there are a lot of people like me, DVD should live a long time, it's in higher demand than VHS ever was.

Still, hearing about Blu-Ray worries me.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 10:19 PM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

If it does become big, the things better play original dvds!

Old Post Jan 15th, 2006 12:16 AM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kram3r

This doesn't worry me. DVDs will be around for ages to come. There is no need for a change. Unless there is something drastically different from DVD. Even then it's far too soon and stupid because there is nothing wrong with DVDs.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2006 12:17 AM
Kram3r is currently offline Click here to Send Kram3r a Private Message Find more posts by Kram3r Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage420

It's the future yes, but right now most people don't have HD TV's so regular DVDs will stay around.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2006 04:11 AM
Rage420 is currently offline Click here to Send Rage420 a Private Message Find more posts by Rage420 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

^^^True, I own a widescreen HDTV, but I haven't even had it for 3 months.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2006 06:47 PM
T.M
Welcome to The Suck

The PS3 are going to use Blu Ray yes

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2006 08:06 PM
T.M is currently offline Click here to Send T.M a Private Message Find more posts by T.M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

I think DVD's will definately stay around for a lot longer, even with Blu-Ray/HDDVD.

1. You will need an HDTV to use either format, which not everyone can afford, even the smaller sets.

2. The players themselves are going to cost an arm and a leg for years to come until the price drops, even then I fear it's still going to be expensive.

3. What use is a larger capacity on the discs? The only use I see is fiting a series of movies onto one disc instead of multiple. It's not like studios will dig up tons of behind the scene features to fill the disc up, most studios have a hard time filling current DVD's up with goodies.

4. Hopefully when the big transition happens to the new formats, the players can be capable of also playing current DVD's. Since they use different lasers to read them, maybe have a side by side DVD/Blu-Ray player or maybe even some mechanics on the inside that read whether or not the disc is one format or the other and uses the appropriate laser.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2006 08:17 PM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
T.M
Welcome to The Suck

People thought DVD's would go out when mini-disks were released.. now I never see mini-disks.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2006 08:20 PM
T.M is currently offline Click here to Send T.M a Private Message Find more posts by T.M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
thegreatrudini
Violator of the innocent

Its all just another way of getting us to cash in yet again. Like do you realise something like 25% of HD tvs sold will not be able to play HD tv or HD dvds? Its all a bloomin con! I nearly bought a huge badboy tv last year but after reading about all the dodgey HD tvs sold im staying put untill they can be trusted

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2006 01:25 PM
thegreatrudini is currently offline Click here to Send thegreatrudini a Private Message Find more posts by thegreatrudini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by LanceWindu
1. You will need an HDTV to use either format, which not everyone can afford, even the smaller sets.

In 2009, TV stations are all required to switch over to HD, making analog TVs useless unless you have cable or satellite.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2006 08:15 PM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
thegreatrudini
Violator of the innocent

bit of a cheak realy aint it

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2006 07:21 PM
thegreatrudini is currently offline Click here to Send thegreatrudini a Private Message Find more posts by thegreatrudini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

I looked up the prices on Amazon just now. Blu-Ray players will go for $999.99 and HD-DVD players for $599.99. All the titles I saw were an average of $20.

If these prices don't drop fast, I think these will die out.

Also, the covers are UGLY.

Old Post May 4th, 2006 03:26 AM
T.M
Welcome to The Suck

HD is really very expensive.. I had a catalogue from Sky TV the other day explaining the price of upgrading to Sky HD..

the prices were about..

For the Sky HD box.. £300
For installation... £60
Then an extra £10 a month on top of what I am paying now (which is about £40/50 a month at the moment)

Then you still have to buy the HDTV which will cost about £2000 at least...

And bearing in mind I only recently upgraded from basic Sky digital to Sky+ which cost about £150 for the box and £10 extra a month on the bill...

All together I would be paying between £4500 and £5500.. and that just for one year.. it would be around £720 a year after that.

So I think I will wait for the prices to come down a touch.

Last edited by T.M on May 4th, 2006 at 01:18 PM

Old Post May 4th, 2006 01:15 PM
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Apparently you will not notice much of a difference(or any difference) in the film quality, unlike when it went from video to dvd.

Old Post May 4th, 2006 04:02 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
office jesus

Yeah. You really don't. Unless you can afford HD-TV. Sony's going to shove HD-DVD down everyone's throat.

Old Post May 20th, 2006 04:07 AM
office jesus is currently offline Click here to Send office jesus a Private Message Find more posts by office jesus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

The thing is alot of people still have 100's of movies on VHS . Dvd is still new for me . I hope they both lose even if the price comes down !!!

Long live DVD

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 12:58 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dirkdirden
Senor Membber

I don't know what will win but i'd like to see blu-ray do well. Burning 25 gigs single layer and 50 gigs duel layer sound nice to me. Whole seasons on one disk. Back up my HD in 4 disk.

I like the idea of blu-ray but it all depends on what caches on in the end.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 04:21 PM
dirkdirden is currently offline Click here to Send dirkdirden a Private Message Find more posts by dirkdirden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote