KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Terminator Movies » The Terminator Trilogy

The Terminator Trilogy
Started by: monkifier

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
monkifier
I is a gangsta mon

The Terminator Trilogy

T1 = Moderate, T2 = gangsta, T3 = Batty.com.

Thats my opinion of all the films.

Enjoy! Happy Dance

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 06:36 PM
monkifier is currently offline Click here to Send monkifier a Private Message Find more posts by monkifier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chriscaffee

T1 and T2 are hard to compare because they both set out to do different things and they do them well. The original Terminator has an all around better story, is more grounded in reality (or rather suspends your disbelief more easily) and has a villian that is not only terrifying, but the best in the series. Robert Patrick's persistance and elegance are captured very well and his acting is superb, but it just doesn't have the same psychological impact as watching this six-foot Austrian in black leathers get his face smashed by a semi, and as he is rolling underneath the truck, he grabs onto the frame of the trailer and tries to hang on.

Terminator 2 succeeds at creating the best action flick of all time bar-none. At long last T2 gave us an action film where the muscled hero actually could have physical strength and can have dozens of enemies unload automatic weapons on him and he comes out without a scratch. We have dual-wielding and flip-cocking shotguns and miniguns fired at the hip, and a man running across a moving pickup, jumping on a moving truck chasing the pickup, opening fire on the driver, then commandeering the truck and rolling it over.

Terminator 3 had a few interesting scenes, but none of them were spectacular. One scene that was neat was the Terminator being dragged through the glass building. It is true that no human could survive such a thing, but the scene itself wasn't that good because it was just saying "look he's a Terminator, he doesn't feel pain and glass can cut his skin but it won't do anything to his endoskeleton." It wasn't action because it was passive. The Terminator wasn't doing something interesting, some was happening to him.

None of the weapons were permanant or lasting. So we couldn't identify with the Terminator in any way. In Terminator 2 we remember the sawed-off Winchester 1887 lever-action. In T1 we can't forget the images of him with the Uzi, or better yet the AR-18 assault rifle and SPAS-12 semi-auto shotgun, totally wrecking the police station. Jericho Cain has his Glock pistols and the custom MP5A3 submachine gun with and underslung M203A1 grenade launcher. Heck in Predator we remember Blain with Ol' Painless. Decker in Blade Runner has his distinctive pistol. Even Vin Diesel in XXX has that funky .44-magnum revolver with all the attachments.

In T3 we start off with a (pretty cool looking) shotgun that does absolutely nothing important, and then he ditches it for a machine gun which he promptly drops after emptying one belt of ammo. He fires one rocket from the RPG (he had at least two, and the RPG did damage to the T-X so it might have been smart to hang onto that weapon and use it again). Then we switch to a .45-caliber UMP submachine gun, and after emptying a magazine he drops that and switches to a 40mm grenade launcher, empties a single magazine and gets rid of that. Then he uses a G36K, empties a magazine at an HK and then gets rid of it and the rest is all hand-fighting until the finale when he pops out his power core and nukes himself and the T-X.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2005 07:55 PM
chriscaffee is currently offline Click here to Send chriscaffee a Private Message Find more posts by chriscaffee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vvvrulz
The Last Scorpion

Pretty much spot on there Chris, on every account.

I'd just like to say that along with the original action scense and the weapons that went down in T3, so to did the acting. In the first two, Hamilton, Furlong and Beihn were simply superb, each pulled off their 'human' roles to perfection. However it all took a tumble in T3, Stahl was not true to his character created in T2 and Danes was just pathetic.

The dialogues were generally just recycled from the first two, hell even the Silberman cameo was just leftovers really, there was no continuity from the T2 storyline. Why on EARTH were there almost no cops trying to bring down either terminator when they infiltrated cyberdine. Just one example of a misread plothole.

T1 like Chris said, stands on its own because of its different era and almost different genre altogether. It was a thriller whereas T2 was more all-out action.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...&forumid=55

Old Post Jul 29th, 2005 01:51 AM
vvvrulz is currently offline Click here to Send vvvrulz a Private Message Find more posts by vvvrulz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu
Exit Prophet Enter Praylu

quote: (post)
Originally posted by vvvrulz
The dialogues were generally just recycled from the first two, hell even the Silberman cameo was just leftovers really, there was no continuity from the T2 storyline. Why on EARTH were there almost no cops trying to bring down either terminator when they infiltrated cyberdine. Just one example of a misread plothole.

This is almost the same thing we were saying in the Picture Thread before. I understand why perhaps nobody attempted to bring down the TX since she could very well take the shape of any person she pleased. Though while Kate was the daughter of Robert Brewster it still doesn't touch on the reason a 6-foot man with bullet holes and guns would be let in with John Connor who obviously looked like he had just done drugs or came from a hospital. That and according to authorities Arnold had kidnapped Kate which make less sense why they didn't attempt to shoot down or capture John and Arnold.

Originally posted by TheFilmProphet
I was thinking, "Man Arnold killed like 20 police officers, broke into Pescadero and broke out a patient, destroyed Cyberdyne, blew up SWAT and cop cars in both the 90's and now, was involved in the destruction of a pet hospital, caused significant damage to several buildings, and kidnapped Kate." "But nobody seems to notice." At least an extra ten minutes of film featuring a news cast of a "Wanted Criminal" and maybe a chopper circling the sky would have made this film a little bit better in my eyes.

SPIDER-MAN 3 DIRECTOR'S CUT PETITION HERE

Old Post Jul 29th, 2005 02:06 AM
Praylu is currently offline Click here to Send Praylu a Private Message Find more posts by Praylu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chriscaffee

Yep. If they would have had just a quick scene in the cemetary where the SWAT leader is passing photographs around of the Terminator from 1984 and 1992 or if they included the scene with Vulkovich in a wheel chair as originally planned the movie would have been infinitly better. I like the novel (I just read it yesterday) because it actually explains most of the plotholes in the movie, like how the Terminator, John and Catherine get into CRS and such.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2005 02:27 AM
chriscaffee is currently offline Click here to Send chriscaffee a Private Message Find more posts by chriscaffee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vvvrulz
The Last Scorpion

Well, never mind the photo's for a second.. lets pretend that they indeed had no idea who Arnie was. Even then, they break into a high security building and cause significant damage to the facility and the equipment, the T-X kills Kate Brewster's dad, and there were no alarm bells !?

Even if it was Jon Bon Jovi attacking the building, some cops should have at least shown up.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2005 04:53 AM
vvvrulz is currently offline Click here to Send vvvrulz a Private Message Find more posts by vvvrulz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu

Well, never mind the photo's for a second.. lets pretend that they indeed had no idea who Arnie was. Even then, they break into a high security building and cause significant damage to the facility and the equipment, the T-X kills Kate Brewster's dad, and there were no alarm bells !?

Even if it was Jon Bon Jovi attacking the building, some cops should have at least shown up.

laughing

Though unfortunately its true, they make it seem as if Arnie and crew could have just walked into the Pentagon or White House and nobody would care.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2005 06:01 AM
Praylu is currently offline Click here to Send Praylu a Private Message Find more posts by Praylu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RevoWution™©®
pr0F3ss0r_F4rnsw0rth

quote:

LOL

Oh, btw, after a long break of not posting, I'm back, hopefully hehe

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: All your Rick Roll are belong to me!!

Old Post Jul 29th, 2005 11:11 PM
RevoWution™©® is currently offline Click here to Send RevoWution™©® a Private Message Find more posts by RevoWution™©® Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vvvrulz
The Last Scorpion

lol. Slacker

And TFP, I disagree, you can never attack the White House in America, burn down all of Texas, but surely not the White House !! stick out tongue

Old Post Jul 30th, 2005 01:00 AM
Praylu

lol. Slacker

And TFP, I disagree, you can never attack the White House in America, burn down all of Texas, but surely not the White House !! stick out tongue

Actually Arnie is already half way there in real life, stick out tongue

Old Post Jul 31st, 2005 01:01 AM
Natalie-Lover
I love her

T1 = Excellent
T2 = Outstanding
T3 = WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!

Old Post Sep 25th, 2005 07:41 PM
Natalie-Lover is currently offline Click here to Send Natalie-Lover a Private Message Find more posts by Natalie-Lover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vvvrulz
The Last Scorpion

Mostow.. Jonathan Mostow happened.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2005 08:48 PM
barand1

Mostow isn't a bad director, his just as good as Cameron! I mean you don't hire a B movie director, to replace an A movie director. I was hoping for Ridley Scott for T3, or even Ang Lee. Oh Well

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/trailermaker/view/7frbbc

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 08:23 AM
barand1 is currently offline Click here to Send barand1 a Private Message Find more posts by barand1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redcaped
Restricted

Account Restricted

I would like something done for the previous two films to replace it with cool CGI!

Old Post Jan 16th, 2006 12:45 AM
redcaped is currently offline Click here to Send redcaped a Private Message Find more posts by redcaped Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
barand1

T2 had cool CGI which still holds up, even looks better than most films these days. Thats pretty outstanding I think.

As for T1, well...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/trailermaker/view/7frbbc

Old Post Jan 16th, 2006 12:48 AM
barand1 is currently offline Click here to Send barand1 a Private Message Find more posts by barand1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redcaped
Restricted

Account Restricted

When Arnold revealed his metal arm looks fake to me and the T-1000 is old CGI.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2006 12:54 AM
redcaped is currently offline Click here to Send redcaped a Private Message Find more posts by redcaped Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redcaped
Restricted

Account Restricted

Plus when T-1000 gets shot at the mall with the jap guy on the way you may notice implants on his shirt like stickers.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2006 01:03 AM
Benhacker
Terminator Future Prophet

Originally posted by chriscaffee
Yep. If they would have had just a quick scene in the cemetary where the SWAT leader is passing photographs around of the Terminator from 1984 and 1992 or if they included the scene with Vulkovich in a wheel chair as originally planned the movie would have been infinitly better. I like the novel (I just read it yesterday) because it actually explains most of the plotholes in the movie, like how the Terminator, John and Catherine get into CRS and such.

I also read the novelization of Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.

Have any of you read Terminator 3: Terminator Dreams or Terminator 3: Terminator Hunt ?

Terminator 3: Terminator Dreams is just before Judgement Day in Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines. Terminator 3: Terminator Hunt is during the War with the Machines.

Benhacker cool

Old Post Jan 16th, 2006 04:31 AM
Benhacker is currently offline Click here to Send Benhacker a Private Message Find more posts by Benhacker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chriscaffee

I haven't read any of the other Terminator 3 novels. The only reason I read the movie adaptation is because it was free. It was an okay book. What made it interesting is that they filled in some of the plotholes that were in the movie but invented a new one: how did John send Terminator back in time when he should have already been killed? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but the book implied John was still alive at the time.

As for T2s effects, I think a lot of them still hold up. The CG healing is pretty good. The full body shots where he is all silver don't look fantastic. The hook-arms and bullet shots are fairly good as is the Terminator makeup. I still think the makeup from the first move is both more interesting and more believeable, but in T2 the only parts that look fake are when he supposedly loses his arm and his face. You can see where the gaps in his skull are just filled in with black material due to the harsh lighting of the steel mill.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2006 09:21 PM
redcaped
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes, they both need a fix to math T3.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2006 01:23 AM