KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » I Like Ultimate Better

I Like Ultimate Better
Started by: DigiMark007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

I Like Ultimate Better

Yeah, I said it.

I like Ultimate Marvel better than 616, hands down....maybe not forever, but for a while it's been this way.

616 Spidey is bogged down by emotional struggles without the characteristic levity and ingenuity known to the series.
Ultimate Spidey has the snappiest writing this side of a Deadpool comic, and an absolutely delicious romance with Kitty Pryde.

616 FF I've never enjoyed.
Ultimate FF, I (surprisingly) love. The recent arc with the Skrull, then the one immediately after with the Zombies, were priceless. Intelligent and clever while creating awesome characters (like Ben in the Skrull arc). And when Doom said "Hmph! This should be a challenge" like it was nothing when he stepped into Zombie-world, I thought to myself "I'd really love to read about him trapped on that planet!"

Avengers barely exist anymore.
The Ultimates is one of the best-written books out there by any company. Many others on KMC seem to agree.

X-Men, meh on both counts.

A big deal is always made about how Ultimate <<< 616 in terms of power levels. True enough (with a few exceptions). But I read for the intelligent stories, clever dialogue, cool fights, characters, etc. Not to see who has the best material for a respect thread. And Ultimate (imo) does that better right now.

Any other thoughts on this?

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 03:24 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NiņoAraņa
Bang Bang

i agree, maybe not on all counts, but Ult. is def. shaping up (or already shaped up) to be pretty dam good.

Sigs W/L/T 1/6/0 AMC

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 03:27 AM
NiņoAraņa is currently offline Click here to Send NiņoAraņa a Private Message Find more posts by NiņoAraņa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dum Dum Dugan

I dislike ultimate world in general, but they have some good stories some times/

spiderman I feel is to depowered in the ulitmate universe.
ult capt
ult wolverine
and so on would most deffently take majorities over him from what I have read

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 03:36 AM
Dum Dum Dugan is currently offline Click here to Send Dum Dum Dugan a Private Message Find more posts by Dum Dum Dugan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NiņoAraņa
Bang Bang

quote: (post)
Originally posted by capt it up
I dislike ultimate world in general, but they have some good stories some times/

ult capt
ult wolverine
he's not depowered....he's just a kid, you gotta give him time to develop and whatnot

Sigs W/L/T 1/6/0 AMC

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 03:42 AM
NiņoAraņa is currently offline Click here to Send NiņoAraņa a Private Message Find more posts by NiņoAraņa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

I agree

I am also really happy that they have played down the major crossover things

i mean, they did have the extinction thing, and ultimate war and ultimate 6, but those were done seperatly and didnt mess up all the books.

From a compleatly logistics and marketing standpoint, I greatly prefer the Ultimate U

I am very skeptical about Ultimate Power though....

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 04:06 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucid Lui
Air Laki Laki

I enjoy them both the same. Doesn't have to be a competition.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Verily.
| www.lucidlui.com | Aquaman Respect Thread |

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 04:07 AM
Lucid Lui is currently offline Click here to Send Lucid Lui a Private Message Find more posts by Lucid Lui Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HaSon

I like Ultimates (not as much as most) but the 616 Avengers are in the gutter so there isn't much room for comparison in that area.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 04:13 AM
HaSon is currently offline Click here to Send HaSon a Private Message Find more posts by HaSon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega-level

Ultimates >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Avengers, any time in their history.

I like most of the UFF characters better, but they don't have their "The Coming of Galactus" yet. There's nothing yet that matches the greatness of some of Byrne's or Lee and Kirby's stories.

Ultimate Spidey is better than 616 is in many years. But history wise, 616 still tops.

Ultimate X-men is the weak spot. Nowhere near than the 616. Specially with Kirkman.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 04:28 AM
Omega-level is currently offline Click here to Send Omega-level a Private Message Find more posts by Omega-level Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grimm22
King of the Castle

Originally posted by capt it up

ult capt
ult wolverine

So all you care about is powers and not characterization?!? What the f**k?

No, wonder you don't like Astonishing X-men laughing

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 05:00 AM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
..:Sn0w:..

I agree.

I like it better too.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 05:08 AM
..:Sn0w:.. is currently offline Click here to Send ..:Sn0w:.. a Private Message Find more posts by ..:Sn0w:.. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soljer
Beware my Power

Originally posted by Grimm22
So all you care about is powers and not characterization?!? What the f**k?

No, wonder you don't like Astonishing X-men laughing

Do you TRY to track down and attack Capt It Up at every possible moment? Don't you have anything better to do?

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 05:08 AM
Soljer is currently offline Click here to Send Soljer a Private Message Find more posts by Soljer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grimm22
King of the Castle

Originally posted by Soljer
Do you TRY to track down and attack Capt It Up at every possible moment? Don't you have anything better to do?

Yes, my entire goal in life is to make Capt's life miserable laughing evil face

Because it has nothing to do with the fact that I came into the thread and Capt said something I found to be stupid, no I obviously just track down all of Capt's posts and mock him roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 05:11 AM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soljer
Beware my Power

Originally posted by Grimm22
Yes, my entire goal in life is to make Capt's life miserable laughing evil face

Because it has nothing to do with the fact that I came into the thread and Capt said something I found to be stupid, no I obviously just track down all of Capt's posts and mock him roll eyes (sarcastic)

No. Seriously. It really does seem like you try to mock Capt at any available opportunity. I mean, I don't know what past history you guys have (scorned lovers?), but it's ridiculous, and very sophomoric.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 05:16 AM
Soljer is currently offline Click here to Send Soljer a Private Message Find more posts by Soljer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Ultimates has been in my top 5 choices since it started..... but at the moment I'm probably looking forward to more Civil War stuff than anything else.

smile

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 05:25 AM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soljer
Beware my Power

I'm not entirely sure why, but I'm liking the gritty realistic feel of the Ultimate universe a LOT.

I mean, it seems so...human. Likely? erm.

I think that's one of the reasons I prefer certain Marvel comics over DC - Marvel seems a bit more realistic. And now, Ultimate seems more down to earth than 616. It's nice.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 05:41 AM
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Re: I Like Ultimate Better

Originally posted by DigiMark007
X-Men, meh on both counts.
If you compare to Astonishing then 616 takes it.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 05:53 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Originally posted by Soljer
No. Seriously. It really does seem like you try to mock Capt at any available opportunity. I mean, I don't know what past history you guys have (scorned lovers?), but it's ridiculous, and very sophomoric.

I personally believe that Grimm is a closet Wolverine mega-fanboy, and takes out his personal self-rejection and loathing by getting mad at a proper Wolverine fan. smile

For the most part I prefer 616- perhaps its the feeling of natural familiarity

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 06:07 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MightyEInherjar
Two Ravens Above Us

I love Ultimate Hulk's dialogs, and the fact that he's like a bitchin' mix of Savage and Fixit, minus some intellegence. I'm wanting him to get his own book, and I think he has an arc coming up, so hopefully I'll see some more of him. Bottom line is:

Ultimate Hulk eats people.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 06:08 AM
MightyEInherjar is currently offline Click here to Send MightyEInherjar a Private Message Find more posts by MightyEInherjar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
I personally believe that Grimm is a closet Wolverine mega-fanboy, and takes out his personal self-rejection and loathing by getting mad at a proper Wolverine fan. smile
So he's the Ted Haggard/Jewish Nazi of the comic world.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 06:09 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Originally posted by xmarksthespot
So he's the Ted Haggard/Jewish Nazi of the comic world.

Mmhmm.

Or, at least, on KMC, where Wolverine fans are a sad and discriminated race.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 06:21 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote