KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Books made into movies

Books made into movies
Started by: justdecent

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
justdecent

Books made into movies

I love to read and I love to watch movies, but I can't stand it when they turn books into movies. It is very few that actually are good adaptations. I dont know why they even bother anymore. What are your guy's thoughts on this.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 09:47 PM
justdecent is currently offline Click here to Send justdecent a Private Message Find more posts by justdecent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

mm...there are alot of good adaptations of books...you only need to look at the alex garland/danny boyle partnership to see that...the beach, sunshine, 28 days later

then there's been trainspotting, empire of the sun, the shining (and other notable king novels)

clockwork orange, the maltese falcon, fight club, fear and loathing in las vegas, to kill a mockingbird, watership down

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 09:58 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dyno
Authority

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden101
mm...there are alot of good adaptations of books...you only need to look at the alex garland/danny boyle partnership to see that...the beach, sunshine, 28 days later

then there's been trainspotting, empire of the sun, the shining (and other notable king novels)

clockwork orange, the maltese falcon, fight club, fear and loathing in las vegas, to kill a mockingbird, watership down

Every one of them are excellent books and also excellent movies.

There is also...
Do androids dream of electric sheep (Blade Runner),The lord of the rings, James Bond movies, and The Bourne Trilogy.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 10:08 PM
Dyno is currently offline Click here to Send Dyno a Private Message Find more posts by Dyno Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

There are a ton of excellent novels that made excellent movies.

Then theres Tom Cruise in Interview with a Vampire...
Great novel, horrible movie.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Last edited by BruceSkywalker on Apr 3rd, 2008 at 10:19 PM

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 10:17 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dyno
Authority

agreed

I enjoyed the book but didn't like the movie.

There are also most of Steven King books

Carrie, It, Secret Window, etc.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 10:20 PM
Dyno is currently offline Click here to Send Dyno a Private Message Find more posts by Dyno Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

And don't forget Jumanji! It was a ten page children's book made into an hour and forty minute adventure film!

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 10:24 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I don't have a problem with them.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 10:28 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jaden101

The Beach? Are you having a laugh? That movie completely sodomised the book.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 10:33 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SkinWalker

Atonement
No Country for Old Men

-Halle Berry's Biggest Fan.:.Thanks Piggle Humsy-

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 11:08 PM
SkinWalker is currently offline Click here to Send SkinWalker a Private Message Find more posts by SkinWalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dyno
Authority

Originally posted by chillmeistergen

I preferred the book, but the movie was still really good IMO.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 11:24 PM
Neo_Version 7
Smile (:

Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
And don't forget Jumanji! It was a ten page children's book made into an hour and forty minute adventure film!

+1

Jumanji rocked! The best parts were the cop and the monkey antics.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2008 02:54 AM
Neo_Version 7 is currently offline Click here to Send Neo_Version 7 a Private Message Find more posts by Neo_Version 7 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by chillmeistergen

the beach is a great novel...but in my opinion i think its also a great film...it doesn't have to be an almost perfect transferal as fight club was...hence the word "adaptation"

Old Post Apr 4th, 2008 08:29 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dyno
Authority

As you said Jaden, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Hunter S Thomson is the dogs bollox smile

Old Post Apr 4th, 2008 01:52 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

yeah...that and fight club are definitely two of the best transitions to film

Old Post Apr 4th, 2008 02:02 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Lets not forget the movie that was a book that put Christian Bale on the map...Bret Easton Ellis's American Pyscho. I thoroghly enjoyed both the novel and the movie.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Apr 4th, 2008 07:17 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Well, I'd say Empire of the Sun put him on the map and that has already been mentioned.

*Smartarse hat off*

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Apr 4th, 2008 07:39 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dyno
Authority

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Lets not forget the movie that was a book that put Christian Bale on the map...Bret Easton Ellis's American Pyscho. I thoroghly enjoyed both the novel and the movie.
Yeah the American Phsycho Book and Movie were both amazingsmile

Old Post Apr 4th, 2008 08:39 PM
idowhatiamtold

There are a couple that I like and few that I don't. I think The Divinci Code was a poor excuse for a movie. But I really liked Prozac Nation and Girl Interrupted. I'm in the middle of reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter and I saw that they are making THAT into a movie so I'm kind of excited about it.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2008 08:46 PM
idowhatiamtold is currently offline Click here to Send idowhatiamtold a Private Message Find more posts by idowhatiamtold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Re: Books made into movies

Originally posted by justdecent
I love to read and I love to watch movies, but I can't stand it when they turn books into movies. It is very few that actually are good adaptations. I dont know why they even bother anymore. What are your guy's thoughts on this.

yeah your right.it is very rare that they ever make good books into good movies.as someone mentioned earlier,there have been a few of them like to kill a mockingbird,the shining and watership down and tom clancys novels as well.The best adaptaion of a novel I think and is my favorite adaptation is S E Hintons TEX.The movie was dead on to the book practically. But yeah the majority of the time they mess it up.those are rare instances.I agree,they mess it up so much most the time they shouldnt even bother anymore. For instance,I saw Christine before i read the novel and I enjoyed it.Then I read the novel and NOW I hate the movie.It could have been sooooo much better.with they would redeem themselves and make a tv miniseires out of like they did with the shining.Except the shining was a total waste.the orginal jack nicholson movie was so great they should have left it alone.Most stephen king novels have been screwed up when making them into films,with they would leave them alone since they cant get it right anymore.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2008 09:18 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker

yeah i really enjoyed both...i hope they make a film out of "lunar park" which is essentially a sequel to american psycho...but it lends itself far better to a truer adaptation

clearly there would be no way a more accurate version of the american psycho novel would ever get made...rat tubes stuck up *****...cannibalism, chopping off lips with nail scissors...drilling out teeth and ripping the throat out through the mouth...

be a fun film to make and to watch...but it would never get past the censors

also...couldn't agree more with parker (1st time for everything) in that the tv version of the shining was utterly pointless....on its own merits it's not that bad but compared to the film it's hard to see why they even tried to out-do nicholson's performance

Old Post Apr 4th, 2008 09:46 PM