KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Best deconstructionist comic parody or satire.

Best deconstructionist comic parody or satire.
Started by: Flame On!!

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Flame On!!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Best deconstructionist comic parody or satire.

For my money it was Alan Moore's Judgement Day because it worked on so many levels. In it he tries to "end" the dark superherioc comics he and Frank Miller made so popular i by using the Youngblood agent Sentinel created by Rob Liefeld (who along with the likes of Mcfarlane bought into but never understood what Moore and Miller had done, for them it was all about cash) and really just a version of War Machine. Sentinel had rewritten history to make it into the dark world of the 80s-90s comic universe complete with the “chainsaw-wielding cyborgs” an "image" laughing out loud so typical of Image Comics. Sentinel was convicted and exiled by his superheroic peers, and Moore oversawn th eighties and early nineties a total revamping of Awesome Comics to make it into more of a vehicle of nostalgia and parody, as with his spoofing take on the once-brutal Supreme series.

In doing so he turned a cheap gaudy disgusting thing into something beautiful. Sadly though many comics proffessionals didn't get it, hence things like "The Darkness".

Interestingly the other half of Image which became Wildstorm took a different and equally valid path with the widescreen cinematics of books like the Authority.

In it all though we should never forget Jim Shooter was trying to achieve the "nostalgia" and parody Moore did in the early nineties with titles like Archer and Armstrong and Quantum and Woody.

My ten cents. erm

What do you think?

-FO!!

Last edited by Flame On!! on Mar 26th, 2007 at 02:35 PM

Old Post Mar 26th, 2007 02:24 PM
Flame On!! is currently offline Click here to Send Flame On!! a Private Message Find more posts by Flame On!! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote