KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » What do you make of the films over the books

What do you make of the films over the books
Started by: Ash Nazg

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ash Nazg

What do you make of the films over the books

New to this, Ive only read through a few of the more recent posts, so excuse me if this has been done before, but even if it has, I thinks its a good topic to resurect to guage new opinions.

I get the feel that there is a good mixture of people here, some who have read the books many years ago and have been long standing fans, some who have had interest sparked in the books because of the films and those who have not (yet?) read the books.

Im one of the former and have to admit I was dubious and a bit hesitant about seeing what has been my favourite story hit the big screen. Fist viewing, I was dissapointed, but felt I should like it. There were parts that didnt seem right and I found myself probably too over critical. Then I saw it again. The again, and again. Then bought the extended version (which I knew I always would!) and loved it. I now think PJ has done an absoutely superb job. Yes there are part that still dont sit too well (like Faramir in TT) but other changes, like Arwens beefed up role, which I find work well, especially in telling more of the relationship between her and Aragorn, which is covered mainly outside of the books in the apedices and other books.

I think it is superb that the films have now opened a new generations eyes to the story and I hope with all my heart that if you havent read the books, that you will.

All opinions welcome, I lke to see different view points, and I hope anyone who wishes will feel free to chip in on this one, whatever your view.

agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

Old Post Feb 27th, 2003 10:33 PM
Ash Nazg is currently offline Click here to Send Ash Nazg a Private Message Find more posts by Ash Nazg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

the movies are great, i enjoyed the books a lil bit better though.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2003 05:23 AM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

the books are (almost) always better, and of course so it is here too. but the films are superb

Old Post Feb 28th, 2003 02:56 PM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ms_saigon

The books are better because I read them long before I ever saw the movies and because they have so much more to them than the movies. Having said that, I did enjoy the movies thoroughly. It is fun to see something you have always envisioned privately within your own mind brought to life cinematically.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2003 07:46 PM
ms_saigon is currently offline Click here to Send ms_saigon a Private Message Find more posts by ms_saigon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ash Nazg

I loved the books. I have to say, its my all time fave read. And yes, given the choice, its them, and always them.

I think, for me, one of the reasons why the films worked well, visually, was that they remained true to a lot of artists imagery. I know everyone has their own visions of what something is supposed to look like when they read a book. A lot of the LOTR images are helped by some fantastic artwork, the likes of Alan Lee and John Howe which really reflect the descriptions in the books. Using some established artists in prep for the sets helped a great deal. And kept that familar look.

I think thats one area why Im glad to have read them years before the film, having those images there and seeing them made real. I think it would be weird the other way, because the images are then already implanted in your mind.

I have to say as well, the music. Woah! Was dissapointed when I found out it wasnt scored by John Williams, but even so, it is so apt. Some of the more Celtic like themes fit so well.

Last edited by Ash Nazg on Mar 1st, 2003 at 01:37 AM

Old Post Mar 1st, 2003 01:34 AM
Ash Nazg is currently offline Click here to Send Ash Nazg a Private Message Find more posts by Ash Nazg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

I have only seen FOTR, but I have read FOTR and TTT.

I never thought I was going to like the LOTR at all, and when my brother-in-law rented FOTR I decided to watch it, and I loved it. The very next day I bought the enitre trilogy of books.

I still need to get to reading ROTK.

But I like the books and films just about the same because the books have more information, but the films bring elaborate images to the words.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2003 02:28 AM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ash Nazg

true Lance, always nice to see imagery as well. I think its great that the films have brought the story to a whole new audience. And to think the Tolkien estate were always so against the ide. Still, I think with the advances in technology, now was the time to do it. Certainly couldnt have been made 10 years ago with the same quality

Old Post Mar 1st, 2003 02:35 AM
Myndon
I'm the one who talks

i've seen both films and i think they are great big grin
they are a great adaptation of the books which i havn't finished reading yet and at the rate i'm going never will
i would have to say at the moment the books are slightly better

Ergo, open your yapper one more time and i'll architect a world of pain all over your candy ass! Ergo! Concorditly! vis-a-vis!

Old Post Mar 9th, 2003 01:35 PM
Myndon is currently offline Click here to Send Myndon a Private Message Find more posts by Myndon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Member.

the books were totally awesome compared to the movies becuz the movies left out a whole lotta shit. lol, if they put all three films together and did all the scenes, it'll be 24 hrs long.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2003 05:44 PM
Member. is currently offline Click here to Send Member. a Private Message Find more posts by Member. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote