KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Appreciation and Anti Threads » "It's Called Adaptation": HP Movie Appreciation

"It's Called Adaptation": HP Movie Appreciation
Started by: siriuswriter

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
siriuswriter

"It's Called Adaptation": HP Movie Appreciation

All right, all right.

I'll start out by saying that in no way do the movies top the books, I'm a firm believer in this.

But I do believe that the Harry Potter movies are more than a load of rubbish. Looking through the anti-thread, I discovered that many of the qualms against the movies are the details which are lost in the shuffle in the process of adaptation, which is what makes a movie a movie. Film and books are different media, and if we had every line from the books in the films... well. It would be a disaster. Awkward pacing, pausing, etc.

I like the HP films because it brings to life some of the difficult things that I'm not always able to envision. The Dark Mark; the dragon chase; the dementors; the basilisk; and the Mirror of Erised, just to name a few.

I know that there are discrepancies between the books and films, like Harry's eye color. But I also know that JK Rowling works behind the scenes of the films, making sure that nothing important is lost. It is not Harry's eye color that matters, rather the fact that he has his mother's eyes, going with the aforementioned example.

Just a reminder, this is an appreciation thread. If you don't like the films, please feel free to go to the Book worms thread to talk about it. Or the I Hate the Harry Potter Movies thread, as a matter of fact.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2007 09:50 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surreal_44

I agree. I adore the movies. In fact, sometimes I like them better than the books. OotP is a good example. The book was rather long and I could have done without many of the scenes. The movie ditched most of the unnecessary stuff and focused on the main aspect of the tale.

So far I've loved all the movies, but by far my favorite is PoA (I love the book too), OotP (just wonderful acting all around, especially by Dan), and GoF. I like the first two movies ok, but they are definitely set-up stories and not as much fun for me to watch.

~Banner made by JES, avatar made by Veronica_Rich. Thanks, girls!!~

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 01:12 PM
Surreal_44 is currently offline Click here to Send Surreal_44 a Private Message Find more posts by Surreal_44 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
#1Rupert_Lover
Loving Rupert Grint

agreed

Buds-MerMorgan02; AddictedToBoys

Old Post Jul 24th, 2007 11:44 PM
#1Rupert_Lover is currently offline Click here to Send #1Rupert_Lover a Private Message Find more posts by #1Rupert_Lover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

I agree, the films are good and I can accept that they deviate from the original storyline to cut down time.

I also agree with Surreal_44 in regards to the 5th book/film, although I did get annoyed at the bit where they flew to the ministry on Thestrals and they missed out the bit explaining why they didn't just use brooms.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2007 01:49 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Better acting would be appreciated by me in the movies, why all the breathing? Every main character, aside from the veterans like Snape, take enormous breathes in between every word. It makes them sound heavily asthmatic and slightly weird.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Jul 25th, 2007 01:57 AM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

quote: (post)
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Better acting would be appreciated by me in the movies, why all the breathing? Every main character, aside from the veterans like Snape, take enormous breathes in between every word. It makes them sound heavily asthmatic and slightly weird.

Haha, I've not noticed that, I'll check it out tomorrow... I do agree that some of the acting isn't the best though.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2007 02:03 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote