KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Did JRR Tolkien invent the Orcs?

Did JRR Tolkien invent the Orcs?
Started by: Dejio

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dejio

Did JRR Tolkien invent the Orcs?

Tolkien is considered to be one of the pioneers in "midieval" fantasies. His books has spawned many other fantasy books and inspired a lot of RPG's, video games, etc.
So, my question is: Did he invent the Orcs?
How about elves? I know he probably didn't invent them, but he may have invented them in their current form. Tall, slender and great with bows.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2003 04:28 AM
Dejio is currently offline Click here to Send Dejio a Private Message Find more posts by Dejio Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

he may have. who knows.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2003 10:27 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

he inspired his works from a lot of legends. I think the elves come from german ones.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2003 03:10 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Also his works had Christian things tied in. The Ring was like sin, tempting people. See if you people can find any more...

I think he did invent the Orcs. Their cool, which makes up for their stupidity and ugliness...

Old Post Jan 4th, 2003 12:03 AM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

orcs are indeed ugly..but stupid?..they can be great warriors.
Dunno if he inevnted them. the orx mix with other terms (like ogres) in other legends/stories

Old Post Jan 4th, 2003 12:07 AM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

or Troll as in Norse mythology

Old Post Jan 4th, 2003 11:01 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mujaffa
Lift a Mullah

look master frodo there's bilbos trolls..

"Get on the bus with Leary and Scorcese, you're goin' right to ****in' hell!" Chikushoo

Old Post Jan 5th, 2003 05:42 PM
Mujaffa is currently offline Click here to Send Mujaffa a Private Message Find more posts by Mujaffa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

I wondered about that. I can't remember, was Bilbo attacked by trolls in "There and Back Again"? I remember Goblins but no trolls...

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2003 01:49 AM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
justaguy451

he had no allegories

quote:
Originally posted by Captain REX
Also his works had Christian things tied in. The Ring was like sin, tempting people. See if you people can find any more...

I think he did invent the Orcs. Their cool, which makes up for their stupidity and ugliness...

Tolkien hated people like you that would take his works and make allegorical statements with them mad

Old Post Jan 10th, 2003 06:37 PM
justaguy451 is currently offline Click here to Send justaguy451 a Private Message Find more posts by justaguy451 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
justaguy451

at the edge of the wild the trolls tried to eat them but Gandalf stopped them

Old Post Jan 10th, 2003 06:38 PM
justaguy451 is currently offline Click here to Send justaguy451 a Private Message Find more posts by justaguy451 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

Re: he had no allegories

quote:
Originally posted by justaguy451
Tolkien hated people like you that would take his works and make allegorical statements with them mad

but he did state that it had christian values and so forth

Old Post Jan 10th, 2003 06:44 PM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
justaguy451

no he didnt read the foreword in the second edition

Old Post Jan 10th, 2003 07:18 PM
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

em, yes he did! in the foreword he only says that there is no allegories to the real world and happenings at the time (WWII and so on).

Old Post Jan 10th, 2003 10:43 PM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
justaguy451

allegories PERIOD it says the outside meaning by the author is NONE

Old Post Jan 10th, 2003 11:23 PM
Fire

Guys does it really matter,
A) he might have said and thought it he might have not, I dunno, I do believe that he might or might not have changed his opinion on that
so there for it matters lil'
B) I don't think Tolkien would have minded it if that was just someone his "opinion" (using "'s to state that I don't know wether or not I can really call it your opinion) it is not like cpt. rex is writing it in papers or using other forms of mass media
C) most of all I think Tolkien wanted ppl to read his books and while doing so enjoying themselfs and learning a few things about life and themselves

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Jan 10th, 2003 11:47 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Justaguy, please tone down that attitude. Aside from anything else you are wrong. Do not confuse subtext and allegory!

Tolkien is quoted as saying that he avoided overt Christian references in his books because the subtle approach "communicated Christian values more effectively precisely because they were less obvious."

(this lot taken from a Tolkien website)
___According to Tolkien and his close associates, the writings were grounded in an unstinting Christian conviction that, at the end of time, God would finally and forever defeat evil.
___Tolkien rooted that conviction in his own faith in Christ.
___Tolkien said the only criticism of "Lord of the Rings" that ever bothered him was that it "contained no religion."
___He described his fictional Middle Earth as "a monotheistic world of 'natural theology.'"
___The fact there are no churches, temples or religious rites and ceremonies "is simply part of the historical climate depicted" in his fiction, he said.
___"I am in any case myself a Christian," he said, even if his "Third Age" was not a Christian world.
___Tolkien believed eternal truths established in creation would be recognizable even in his fictional "sub creation."
___"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth which is with God," he told C.S. Lewis during their late night discussion that resulted in Lewis becoming a Christian.
___More insights into the hidden spiritual currents that drive Tolkien's work are found in an acclaimed but lesser-known work, "The Silmarillion."
___The bible of Tolkien's mythical world recounts millennia of history, along with the mythological structure of Middle Earth, including an all-powerful deity, angelic beings and a version of "the fall" of some of those beings.
___The deeper framework allows Tolkien to explore profound questions of destiny and free will, the reality of evil and the task to struggle against it.

Yes, he hated allegory. But none of that WAS allegory!

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Jan 11th, 2003 at 12:04 AM

Old Post Jan 11th, 2003 12:01 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

yes, what Ush says. and to finish it off:

From Tolkiens Letter #142:
"The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision. That is why I have not put in, or have cut out, practically all references to anything like `religion', to cults or practices, in the imaginary world. For the religious element is absorbed into the story and the symbolism. "

Old Post Jan 11th, 2003 12:03 AM
glorfindel

DEEP
My opinion is that he did invent the orcs becase they came from twisted elves.
smokin'

Old Post Jan 12th, 2003 07:39 PM
glorfindel is currently offline Click here to Send glorfindel a Private Message Find more posts by glorfindel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

or he invented that sentence...only

Old Post Jan 12th, 2003 08:18 PM
Dejio

quote:
Originally posted by glorfindel
DEEP
My opinion is that he did invent the orcs becase they came from twisted elves.
smokin'

And to add to that, I have read somewhere that Orcs came from a word in Elven meaning "Foul" thing. Or something like that. And since he made the elven language....

Old Post Jan 14th, 2003 01:17 AM
Dejio is currently offline Click here to Send Dejio a Private Message Find more posts by Dejio Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote