KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Shaquanda Cotton: 7 years for a shove?

Shaquanda Cotton: 7 years for a shove?
Started by: chithappens

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
chithappens

Shaquanda Cotton: 7 years for a shove?

Honestly, I am as sick of the racist stories as everyone else, but this one got skipped over at some point. I'm just wondering what everyone thinks because this one is obviously a really funny case. I'm not upset, more just almost skeptical that this is actually a real story, but it is...

The story

quote:
HOUSTON — Shaquanda Cotton, the black teenager in the small east Texas town of Paris whose prison sentence of up to 7 years for shoving a teacher’s aide sparked nationwide controversy, was released Saturday.

Her release, ordered by a special conservator appointed to overhaul the state’s scandal-ridden juvenile prison system, was the first of what could be hundreds as a panel of civil rights leaders begins reviewing the sentences of every youth incarcerated by the Texas Youth Commission to weed out those being held arbitrarily.

“We have no confidence in the system that was in place,” said Jim Hurley, spokesman for the conservator, Jay Kimbrough. “And this case is an example of what we expect to happen if something wrong has been done to youths being held inside that system.”

Cotton, who is 15, had no prior criminal record when she was incarcerated a year ago under an indeterminate sentence that could have lasted until her 21st birthday. Her case rose to national prominence and became the focus of ongoing civil rights protests after a March 12 Tribune story detailed how a 14-year-old white girl convicted of the more serious crime of arson was sentenced to probation by the same judge.

Quick Wiki link

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 05:16 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Re: Shaquanda Cotton: 7 years for a shove?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by chithappens
Honestly, I am as sick of the racist stories as everyone else

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 06:09 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

LOL, I am but this one actually is worth looking at because this one has no real basis for jail time.

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 06:10 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

what...no death sentence? pffft

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 06:16 PM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by botankus
This made me think Czarina or FOTN started this thread.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 06:18 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Well I'm not mention it to start anything. This case actually makes no damn sense.

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 06:23 PM
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

well, "shove" is very vague. what if she shoved her off a cliff?

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 06:25 PM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

She shoved her in a bathroom.

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 06:31 PM
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

this is just retarded. She should be placed in juvenile hall until she's 18.....but not jail. It's not like she and a group of friends were stomping some unconscious kid's head into a floor over and over, blatantly attempting to cause serious and permanent injury. She just displayed an act of violence against an authority figure in school. Much like punching a teacher, she must be dealt with and counseled to understand boundaries in life and what she did was unacceptable by putting her in juvenile hall with other kids where her authority figures will have weapons to curb such violence.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 08:27 PM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote