KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Rick Deckard- Human or Replicant?

Deckard: Replicant or Human?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Replicant 3 60.00%
Human 2 40.00%
Total: 5 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rick Deckard- Human or Replicant?
Started by: Etrigan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Etrigan
?

Rick Deckard- Human or Replicant?

This thread concerns the great question which Blade Runner fans will always be divided by. Is Deckard, the protagonist of Ridley Scott's classic, a Replicant or a human?

Fiirstly I would like to say that I was absolutely sure there would already be a thread about this. But I searched as thoroughly as possible and found nothing. If there is already a topic on this then I apologize. I just thought this would be a good topic to discuss and see opinions.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2007 06:09 PM
Etrigan is currently offline Click here to Send Etrigan a Private Message Find more posts by Etrigan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Ridley Scott has already said himself that Rick Deckard was a Replicant.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 12th, 2007 09:01 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Phillip K Dick intended Deckard to be a human. Ridley Scott siad he intended him to be a replicant years after he and Harrison Ford agreed he was a human. Just pick whatever you want in all fairness!

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Aug 13th, 2007 04:20 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Regardless of whether he was a human or replicant, Blade Runner was one of the greatest movies of all time.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 13th, 2007 07:24 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
angelamia

Okay, here's what i've found regarding this topic:

• Rick Deckard Replicant or Not?
o Pros:
    The ‘unicorn dream’ tells us he has implanted memories
    His eyes glow orange when he tells Rachael that he wouldn’t come after her
    Roy Batty knows Deckard’s name
    Deckard has a thing for photos like the other Replicants
    Bryant tells him “If you’re not a cop you’re little people.”
    Gaff could be the real Blade Runner, always seeming one step behind
    Ridley Scott claims Deckard is a Replicant

o Cons:
    The unaccounted for ‘sixth Replicant’ Bryant mentions is merely a script gaffe
    The original cut gives Deckard a back-story, including an ex wife
    The contrast between Deckard’s soul-less humanity and Batty’s poetic inhumanity would no longer work
    The unicorn may be Rachael’s memory (Deckard has seen her files) and Gaff leaves the origami for her
    Why would a “Replicant Cop” be so bitter about his job?
    Harrison Ford claims Deckard is not a Replicant

My view is that i think he is, but i'd rather him not be.

That being said, as im sure youve heard, they're releasing a final cut, and i wonder if there will be any other added scenes/implications toward this subject, since there were huge differences between the '82 and '92 releases

news story here: nytimes.com/2007/09/30/movies/30kapl.html?8dpc=&_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1191866505-txoXZKDX+ozGNjfmuawb5A

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 07:46 PM
angelamia is currently offline Click here to Send angelamia a Private Message Find more posts by angelamia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
angelamia

and to add to my last post, there's a whole thread about this going on at the main site if anyone is interested: messageboards.bladerunnerthemovie.com/showthread.php?t=5

Old Post Oct 16th, 2007 08:05 PM
angelamia is currently offline Click here to Send angelamia a Private Message Find more posts by angelamia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Any memories he thinks he has, of his wife & childhood, could all be implanted. And, he doesn't answer Rachel's question about whether he's ever taken a Voight-Kampff test himself. But, I wonder why the police would go through such trouble of using a 'fresh' replicant with implanted memories to do their bidding, except to make sure he does the dirty work of investigating (that makes sense.) If he dies, then it's no loss.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2007 04:26 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote