KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Heroes » S03E01-02 - The Second Coming / The Butterfly Effect

S03E01-02 - The Second Coming / The Butterfly Effect
Started by: S_D_J

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
S_D_J
Bane

S03E01-02 - The Second Coming / The Butterfly Effect

Official Episode S03E00 Preview
Countdown to the Premiere

The cast hosts a special one-hour countdown special that will take viewers behind-the-scenes and down the red carpet, through the ropes and into the exclusive premiere party at L.A. hot spot Edison. As the last minutes before "Volume Three: Villains" tick down, an assortment of special, never-before-broadcast segments will highlight special moments, review key details, and reveal some fun, all-new information about the worldwide phenomena's past two seasons, including a review of possible suspects in "Who Shot Nathan?"; a peek at how some cool special effects sequences were pulled off; a look at the series’ increasing global popularity and sample of some of the many languages the series has been translated into; an exclusive reveal of the series' many inside nods to Star Trek; and much more.

Official Episode S03E01 Preview
The Second Coming

Nathan's shooter is revealed. Elsewhere, Sylar plans to visit Claire; Hiro and Ando guard a dangerous family secret and fret over the bleak future involving a dubious woman; and Suresh makes an important breakthrough.

Official Episode S03E02 Preview
The Butterfly Effect

Angela confronts Peter; Sylar attacks the Company's main facility; Claire has a revelation about her powers; a group of dangerous criminals escape during a battle with Elle; Hiro and Ando follow Daphne to Paris; Matt seeks help from a guide; Suresh is pleased with the recent developments in his life.

Season 3 Preview

Season 3 Trailer
Beware of Spoiler

NOTE: the video above reveals Nathan's shooter in the first frame

Discuss...

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Last edited by S_D_J on Sep 20th, 2008 at 08:27 PM

Old Post Sep 20th, 2008 08:25 PM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

6 clips from the season premiere:

1) Future Claire and Future Peter Confrontation
2) Hiro and Ando
3) Nathan taken to the hospital
4) Sylar finds Claire
5) Mohinder and Maya
6) Hiro Meets Daphne

better, bigger quality:
http://media.tv.ign.com/media/827/827560/vids_1.html

Early IGN review:

Heroes: "The Second Coming" Review
Volume Three begins. Is it worth tuning in?

quote:
September 19, 2008 - Advance Review: Just so you know, it's going to be mighty difficult not to give something away about the plot of this episode, so if you want to be completely and utterly surprised, turn away now. However, if you're like most fans of the series, you've already heard or read about almost everything that happens in this season premiere because NBC isn't really trying to keep things a secret. They want to build some buzz and convince viewers who were fed up with last year's slow, monotonous storylines to return for a rejuvenated season three. After watching "Second Coming," I'm not convinced that folks who have already given up on the show will be wooed back. Some of the reasons for losing interest in season two are still here. But for anyone who is still a fan, regardless of last season's shortcomings, the season premiere gives you a few tidbits to get excited about. Still, "The Second Coming" isn't the jaw dropping return to form I was hoping for.

The most noticeable difference between this episode and all of last season is the quick pacing we find in "The Second Coming." In a matter of no time, Nathan's would-be assassin is revealed. For me, this revelation is the best part of the episode. I've been avoiding all the spoilers, so it was truly a surprise. It puts a great twist on the story and looks to be setting up an interesting storyline for the season to come. In fact, for me, the most intriguing part of this episode is the storyline surrounding Nathan, Peter and the Petrelli family and I hope, with the many plotlines to come, that the Petrellis continue to get the focus.

Elsewhere in the hour, storylines and character development aren't as successful. The pacing is still very rapid, with certain events starting and ending in this episode where it would have taken five or six to tell the same story a year earlier. But one major problem I have with this premiere is that some of the choices made by major characters are a bit hard to swallow. Hiro and Mohinder in particular have frustrating starts to this new volume. These two characters have been through many major life altering events, yet their actions in "The Second Coming" do not seem to reflect anything they would have learned from their past experiences. Hiro's choices are especially annoying. Though he has seen many horrors, even the death of his father, he still acts like an exuberant schoolboy… except when a serious Hiro is needed to advance the plot.

There are several other factors that prevent this episode from feeling like a new, revitalized approach to Heroes. The most obvious one is that the overarching storyline (so far) is exactly the same as season one and season two: heroes must save the world. That wouldn't be so bad, except it's being presented in the same style as well. We see a glimpse of a terrible future and then it's up to the present-day folks to prevent it from happening. And in "The Second Coming," it is once again Hiro who jumps forward and witnesses a horrifying event. And though this event looks very similar to the destruction of New York City he witnessed in season one, it lacks all the excitement you felt when the series actually was fresh and new.

And that's why "The Second Coming" feels like a wasted opportunity. If you think about the fact that the writers and creator Tim Kring were aware of season two's failings and that they had extra time to prepare for Heroes return, you'll find it hard to believe that this was the best they could come up with. There are no huge moments. Even Sylar's confrontation with Claire feels very anticlimactic. But this is just one episode at the beginning of a new season -- as well as just the first hour of Monday's two-hour season premiere. As that, it does a good job of setting up a number of interesting ideas. The Petrelli saga looks very engaging, and the whole idea of Level 5 villains escaping their confines holds a lot of potential. "The Second Coming" is not exactly the second coming, but it may well turn out to be a solid start to a season of redemption.

Note: Because NBC only provided the first hour/episode of the two-hour premiere for advance review, we will be reviewing the second episode, "The Butterfly Effect", this coming Tuesday.

RATING: 7.0

Old Post Sep 20th, 2008 08:39 PM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

quote: (post)
Originally posted by S_D_J

Season 3 Trailer
Beware of Spoiler

NOTE: the video above reveals Nathan's shooter in the first frame

It's been known who shot Nathan for quite some time now, NBC has been showing this preview since Sept. 10th, so you might have seen it already.

For those who don't know Nikki [SPOILER - highlight to read]: is dead there's a new character called Tracy [SPOILER - highlight to read]: who looks just like Nikki

Mohinder gets [SPOILER - highlight to read]: superpowers of his own

and there's a new terrible, dark future that needs to be stopped.... yet again

love the Sylar/Claire bit

and finally we'll see Sylar eat a brain eek!

Clarie: You're gonna eat it?
Sylar: Eat your brains?
Sylar: Claire[SPOILER - highlight to read]: that's disgusting!

big grin

Last edited by S_D_J on Sep 20th, 2008 at 08:55 PM

Old Post Sep 20th, 2008 08:52 PM
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

wait.. so there is a 1 hour episode right before the premier?

TGFwashere

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2008 04:54 PM
Mairuzu is currently offline Click here to Send Mairuzu a Private Message Find more posts by Mairuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

yep, there was a one hour episode... but no really an episode, more like a clip show... haven't seen it yet...

I'll have to watch the season premiere tomorrow... I don't live in the States...

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2008 01:21 AM
PsyrenAviance
The Body Beautiful

I can't belive Mohinder is an feral

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2008 02:18 AM
PsyrenAviance is currently offline Click here to Send PsyrenAviance a Private Message Find more posts by PsyrenAviance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

The first episode was some of the dumbest shit. I almost wished the writers were still on strike. Second episode wasn't as bad though.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2008 02:58 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PsyrenAviance
The Body Beautiful

I kinda liked it just wish I understood alot of the stuff.There is nothing but an bunch of question.Like how the did sykler find claire(I don't remember) or how did peter get the abilty to put people into other people bodies.What the hell happen to my favorite charactor Nikki.Did she die or did she escape?I tell you if they get rid of Nikki I just might stop watching it

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2008 03:34 AM
PsyrenAviance is currently offline Click here to Send PsyrenAviance a Private Message Find more posts by PsyrenAviance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Big O
The Original O

what was that that Elle did. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: i want to say an EMP blast or a electric malestrom? it was neat, though. she ko'd Sylar *major yays*

In the mean time, I never DID see that anime where I unintentionally got my name from. Is it any good

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2008 04:53 AM
The Big O is currently offline Click here to Send The Big O a Private Message Find more posts by The Big O Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PsyrenAviance
The Body Beautiful

The malestorm cuase an emp would have just turned off elecrital equpiment

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2008 05:00 AM
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

WoW, lots of questions and few answers

but it was some good tv...

Did anyone else get tricked by the bit where parkman was talking to the turtle? it fooled me.

Angela Sylars mother? Hmm?

Future peter transporting peter into someone elses body?

More bad guys.. and yes.. that flame guy is evil.. probably more so than syler

so many questions

TGFwashere

Last edited by Mairuzu on Sep 23rd, 2008 at 06:30 AM

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2008 06:19 AM
Mairuzu is currently offline Click here to Send Mairuzu a Private Message Find more posts by Mairuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bespin Bart
Buggy

I liked the whole 'this is what you get for ****ing with time and events!' aspect of things. I didn't find anything out of place or stupid about the fresh start of the season.

Future Peter seems to be able to change appearances, of himself and others. Might explain that a bit. Highly possible for Future Peter to have a great number of powers that he has picked up along the way.

THIS IS WHAT WE'VE WAITED FOR
THIS IS IT, BOYS, THIS IS WAR!

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2008 08:00 AM
Bespin Bart is currently offline Click here to Send Bespin Bart a Private Message Find more posts by Bespin Bart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starlock
Team Authority

I found the first episodes to be somewhat lacking....i dont want a set-up that mimics the first 2 seasons...here we go with characters being sent away and on numerous plots.. and there are way too many out of character moments....when we thought that we knew most of the characters motivations and way of thinking...it seems all of the buildup and growth we have seen over 2 seasons...just goes out the window to advance plot......other than some good moments here and there...i find it lacking in certain aspects...i am in for the long run and i am hoping for lots of improvements over the season

http://www.thedeadlyaddictionschronicles.com/

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2008 11:15 AM
starlock is currently offline Click here to Send starlock a Private Message Find more posts by starlock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

It was just poorly written. It was full of cheese. I like cheese as much as the next guy but these episodes were bursting at the seems with cheese wiz. I'm predicting now that this season is going to be a train wreck. The first two episodes were filled with nothing but novelties. I'm thinking the writers strike has killed any chances of this season being refreshing and original like the first season.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2008 02:31 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'll find out about the cheese factor next week, starts on Wednesday(I think) in England, yay! don't have to wait for ages this time around at least.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2008 05:46 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by starlock
I found the first episodes to be somewhat lacking....i dont want a set-up that mimics the first 2 seasons...here we go with characters being sent away and on numerous plots.. and there are way too many out of character moments....when we thought that we knew most of the characters motivations and way of thinking...it seems all of the buildup and growth we have seen over 2 seasons...just goes out the window to advance plot......other than some good moments here and there...i find it lacking in certain aspects...i am in for the long run and i am hoping for lots of improvements over the season

QFT

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2008 06:53 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

I was somewhat disappointed with the new episodes. Mrs. Petrelli being Sylar's mom is just plain stupid. I also didn't like Nikki's new personality. It's going to make an already confusing character even moreso, which is just dumb. I also didn't like the whole "Hiro on a mission to save the world" storyline again. That's old. We need something new.

Some things I did like were a few of the new characters. I love the new speedster girl. Great power and personality. I'm also looking forward to seeing the "Magneto" character in action. He can be a far greater threat than Sylar is.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2008 07:02 PM
celestialdemon is currently offline Click here to Send celestialdemon a Private Message Find more posts by celestialdemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

That flame guy is just pure evil... burning an innocent lady and enjoying every second

i wonder what that hispanic guys power is? Apparently HRG told Claire "You dont wanna know."

the show will redeem itself with the villains i believe, hopefully the whole "saving the world from exploding" is just a minor part...

Where is West?

Where is Micah? Or his cousin?

TGFwashere

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2008 09:05 PM
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

According to the profile on screen, the hispanic guy's power is sound manipulation.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2008 09:28 PM
celestialdemon is currently offline Click here to Send celestialdemon a Private Message Find more posts by celestialdemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

Why is that so bad where Noah couldn't tell Claire?

TGFwashere

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2008 09:40 PM