KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Respect' Forum » Is 800 lbs really peak human strength?

Is 800 lbs really peak human strength?
Started by: UKR

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
UKR
Restricted

Account Restricted

Is 800 lbs really peak human strength?

According to Marvel, 800 lbs is the maximum that any non-superpowered human being can lift. But I don't think that's true. There were many instances in real life of strongmen doing feats better than lifting 800 lbs. Strongmen have lifted horses. One guy carried a horse on his shoulders! One guy could wrestle with an elephant, and another fought off a brown bear (all this stuff was taken from Wiki). I remember reading that Louis Cyr lifted 1,000 lbs on one finger. And restrained four horses. So should Captain America be able to lift more than 800 lbs?

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 05:43 AM
UKR is currently offline Click here to Send UKR a Private Message Find more posts by UKR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Charlotte DeBel
White Queen of KMC

In fact, I've always thought it being more about percentage- peak human=being able to lift 4 times his own weight. That's dependant on his own weight.
That's why the difference here.

Beware Blonde Badasses Emma Frost K' Dante

RIP Fluffy

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 06:05 AM
Charlotte DeBel is currently offline Click here to Send Charlotte DeBel a Private Message Find more posts by Charlotte DeBel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Knowsbleed33
You know my name

The current strongest man in the world can dead-lift near 1,100lbs. So, I'd say 800lbs is a bit shy of peak human.

Thanks to Scythe

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 06:06 AM
Knowsbleed33 is currently offline Click here to Send Knowsbleed33 a Private Message Find more posts by Knowsbleed33 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Knowsbleed33
The current strongest man in the world can dead-lift near 1,100lbs. So, I'd say 800lbs is a bit shy of peak human.

He used a bench shirt.

Originally posted by UKR
According to Marvel, 800 lbs is the maximum that any non-superpowered human being can lift. But I don't think that's true. There were many instances in real life of strongmen doing feats better than lifting 800 lbs. Strongmen have lifted horses. One guy carried a horse on his shoulders! One guy could wrestle with an elephant, and another fought off a brown bear (all this stuff was taken from Wiki). I remember reading that Louis Cyr lifted 1,000 lbs on one finger. And restrained four horses. So should Captain America be able to lift more than 800 lbs?

Wrong part of the forum and you know it. Cap max is probably around 2 tons.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 06:07 AM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Captain America can lift around a ton anyway. big grin

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 06:07 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Captain America can lift around a ton anyway. big grin

2 tons max. no expression

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 06:08 AM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UKR
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Phantom Zone
He used a bench shirt.

Wrong part of the forum and you know it. Cap max is probably around 2 tons.

I thought this might be the wrong place but I didn't know exactly where it was supposed to go.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 06:12 AM
UKR is currently offline Click here to Send UKR a Private Message Find more posts by UKR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote

Re: Is 800 lbs really peak human strength?

Marvels strength stats are based on how much one can press overhead IIRC.

No man can lift 800lbs over his head (Although it can be benched, squatted or deadlifted by some peak level power lifters).

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 06:28 AM
#1110 is currently offline Click here to Send #1110 a Private Message Find more posts by #1110 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
hugekent

I'd say the deadlift is the one to go on, seeing as its basically just lifting a weight off the floor, and it's the one that you can do the most on. So 1000lbs would probably be a better peak human mark.

Edit- Well if what #1110 says is true, then we can discard my comments....

Last edited by hugekent on Jun 7th, 2008 at 06:32 AM

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 06:30 AM
hugekent is currently offline Click here to Send hugekent a Private Message Find more posts by hugekent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Knowsbleed33
You know my name

Originally posted by Phantom Zone
[B]He used a bench shirt.

A bench shirt for dead-lifting? I fail to see how that would benefit a dead-lifter? Are you sure you don't mean lifting straps?

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 06:34 AM
Knowsbleed33 is currently offline Click here to Send Knowsbleed33 a Private Message Find more posts by Knowsbleed33 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by Knowsbleed33
A bench shirt for dead-lifting? I fail to see how that would benefit a dead-lifter? Are you sure you don't mean lifting straps?

Meh I guess I was wrong I was thinking of a benchpress.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 06:49 AM
Apolloknight
Your rule is at an end

When marvel says lift/press; I always thought they meant pressing over ones head. In that case, 800lbs seems logical, as the world record for the clean and jerk is like 580lbs, and cap benching 2 tons is not out the the question.

Sig by Estacado

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 07:03 AM
Apolloknight is currently offline Click here to Send Apolloknight a Private Message Find more posts by Apolloknight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xplosive
Restricted

Account Restricted

Depends what muscle you use. Bench press is little over 1000lbs. Also dead lift is similar, but over head is little over 600lbs.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 08:15 AM
Xplosive is currently offline Click here to Send Xplosive a Private Message Find more posts by Xplosive Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trackz

well the thing is to be this strong usually one as t ogive up other stats....I pretty sure the worlds strongest man would collpase on himself if he tried to run a mile

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 12:39 PM
Trackz is currently offline Click here to Send Trackz a Private Message Find more posts by Trackz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Paul Anderson

"His best lifts of his career include an amazing 1206 pound squat (still unmatched), a 627 pound bench press, a 380 pound one arm press, a 600 pound push press(pressing the weight overhead),and an incredible 575 pound jerk press(pulling the weight up and pressing it out). He made the Guinness Book of World Records for lifting 6,270 pounds in the backlift."

http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211_fal...trongestman.htm

And this was before there was steroid use and benching shirts.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Last edited by Mindship on Jun 7th, 2008 at 01:28 PM

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 01:26 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snoopdogg
Big Pimpin

The 800lbs. is not how much Cap can bench. It's how much he can military press. As far as I know that's never been done or I don't even think it can be done.

As far as bench goes the record is over 1000lbs but that's with a suit. The record for a raw bench is like 715lbs. right now.

Cap is not superhuman folks.

"I am not afraid of the dark the dark's afraid of me"

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 01:37 PM
snoopdogg is currently offline Click here to Send snoopdogg a Private Message Find more posts by snoopdogg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by snoopdogg
The 800lbs. is not how much Cap can bench. It's how much he can military press. As far as I know that's never been done or I don't even think it can be done.

As far as bench goes the record is over 1000lbs but that's with a suit. The record for a raw bench is like 715lbs. right now.

Cap is not superhuman folks.

*sigh* Cap was doing bicep curls with 500lbs......he did that after doing Gymnastics.

He was also doing reps with 1100lbs and he was not breathing hard and did gymnastics straight afterwards.

Last edited by Deadline on Jun 7th, 2008 at 02:18 PM

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 02:16 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Obscure factoids I had picked up over the years:
- The average man can 1 rep-max military press about 100 pounds.
- About 1 out of 100,000 men can military press their bodyweight.

Peak human strength these days I think would mean a strict military press of probably 400-500 pounds in the superheavyweight class (meaning the guys themselves typically weigh 300-350 lbs). The strongest classes pound for pound seem to be the somewhat lighter classes (about 198 - 148 lbs).

An 800 lb military press--especially at a bodyweight of 200-250 lbs--seems pretty darn superhuman to moi.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 03:27 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

whoosh! Over my head.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 03:47 PM
Squirrel Fart

Re: Is 800 lbs really peak human strength?

Originally posted by UKR

Use the questions thread please....

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f95/t346614.html

Old Post Jun 7th, 2008 03:59 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote